Omitting the Gloria
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    So... correct me if I'm wrong, but omitting the Gloria is NOT permitted during Ordinary Time, right?

Also, omitting the Penitential Rite and going straight to the Kyrie?

This is coming from a, thankfully temporary, priest at my Parish who changes the words in the Missal and doesn't wear a chasuble. Last week, he made sure to say Good Morning at the beginning of Mass, but not "The Lord be with you..." etc...
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    You're correct. Use of the Gloria is governed by rubrics in both forms. The Ordo will tell you if it is prescribed or not. It may not be omitted if it is prescribed.
  • hartleymartin
    It is mandatory on Sundays of Ordinary Time, Feasts and Solemnities.
  • OlbashOlbash
    Sadly, what you are describing is more common than you might imagine, as is the omission of the Credo, reduction of psalm verses, skipping over paragraphs of the Eucharistic Prayer... All in the name of brevity, I guess, but it's interesting to observe how many of these same presiders seem to have plenty of time for banter at the beginning/end of Mass, tacky jokes, long-winded homilies, etc.
  • Liam
    It's less common than it used to be, say, 30 years ago, when priests were more likely to try to match old expectations of a Sunday Mass in under a half hour.
    Thanked by 1mlabelle
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I asked him about it in between Masses and he maintained it was accidental.... We'll go with that. The Gloria happened for the second Mass.
  • OlbashOlbash
    Catching more flies with honey? Well done, Brendan.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It could have been a legitimate mistake... priests, though ontologically different from us lay folk, are still human.

One of my favorite priest mistakes was a priest, when reading the Eucharistic Prayer, who said "together with Pius our Pope and Clarence our Bishop,..." He apparently was having visions of the late 50s in 2007.
    Thanked by 1mlabelle
  • kenstb
    Some of us still miss Pius XII too.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Hahaha! Well it happened last week, too, and that's all Ill say about that.

Doing my best with the honey but bees are a hot commodity around here, you know. The fly traps are sitting in my office, and they're the inhumane sticky kind.

ALSO: Out of curiosity, Canon Law dictates that a priests may only celebrate Mass once per day and, where pastorally necessary, twice or even three times on Sundays and Holy Days, yes? So it is safe to say it is illicit for a priest to celebrate four Masses in one day?
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    (I think we need a liturgy category...)
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • chonakchonak
    [deleted comment due to better information; noted below]
  • eft94530eft94530
    I am remembering a Bishop Fulton Sheen "Life Is Worth Living"
    program that mentions Voltaire:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=IJAIKurm43EC&pg=PT91
    In order to arm himself against Christianity, Voltaire once went to a Benedictine monastery; he lived there for about six months. During this time, news spread about France that Voltaire was about to accept the faith; the truth of the matter is that during these six months Voltaire spent all of his time copying out objections in the writings of Thomas Aquinas but never reading the answers.

Along those lines, sometimes I wonder if
    Redemptionis Sacramentum (2004)
    is reviewed like a playbook.

[For a few weeks now enjoying the sunlight, after a two-year-long abuse tunnel.]
  • BenBen
    So it is safe to say it is illicit for a priest to celebrate four Masses in one day?

In a world where we have enough priests? Yes, it would be illicit. But sometimes it just has to happen.
    Thanked by 1mlabelle
  • MarkThompson
    In a case of necessity arising from shortage of priests, a bishop may permit a priest to celebrate up to three times on a Sunday or holy day, but not more.

Nothing unlawful "just has to happen"; don't be ridiculous.

Can. 905 §1. A priest is not permitted to celebrate the Eucharist more than once a day except in cases where the law permits him to celebrate or concelebrate more than once on the same day.

§2. If there is a shortage of priests, the local ordinary can allow priests to celebrate twice a day for a just cause, or if pastoral necessity requires it, even three times on Sundays and holy days of obligation.
    Thanked by 2Ben Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    The Navarre/Ottawa commentary ("Code of Canon Law Annotated") states that only the Holy See may grant authorization for the celebration of more than three Masses. (p. 701)
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    Fascinating. I stand corrected. Thanks Mark and Richard.
  • chonakchonak
    I'm surprised at this information too. I can imagine that some priests might get into a situation of needing that permission occasionally, due to weddings or the needs of specialized chaplaincies (hospital, prison).
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Let this thread remind us of the need to pray for vocations, encourage young men to consider and pray about their vocation in life, and support orthodox seminarians financially if we are able.
    Thanked by 2bkenney27 Salieri
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Okay. Just confirming my own thoughts. Thanks, everyone.

The canon law question comes from my parish where our newly ordained parochial vicar was just intentionally scheduled for four Sunday Masses. The other church for which our clerical team is responsible now has a 7pm Brazilian Mass which has caused some difficulty. There are 9 Masses between the two parishes and two of those are specialized languages (Brazilian and Spanish).
  • donr
    Our Pastor is the only celebrant at out church. He does all the Masses on Sunday (5), six if you include Sat evening.
    I believe he does only one Mass per week day Mass.
  • chonakchonak
    @bkenney27, has the young priest given any indication that he knows that so many celebrations is a problem? If not, don't rock the boat. The job of the music director does not include raising the priest's consciousness about harmless canonical infractions. Maybe the priest has already dealt with the issue, and he's not obliged to inform anybody; well, except the pastor.

But if he has discussed this with you and he has concerns about doing the right thing, he can ask the Office for Worship how to get the needed permission.
  • CharlesW
    We have had instances caused by the illness of our recently retired pastor, where the associate had to seek the bishop's permission to cover all the Sunday masses. At that particular time, no other priests were free to help out. We have six masses on Sunday.
  • cmbearer
    Bumping with a similar question...

We are adding the Rite of Acceptance to one of the Masses this Sunday. It will occur at the beginning of the Mass and therefore the Gloria will be omitted. I have looked for supporting documentation that it is okay in certain circumstances (like adding a rite) to omit the Gloria. I haven't found anything yet. Did I miss something?
  • Liam
    If I remember correctly, the ritual is followed immediately by the Liturgy of the Word, so it does displace the usual opening rites for the Mass.
    Thanked by 1cmbearer