Scaling vs. Voicing of Organ Pipes
  • kpoterack
    OK, I know what voicing and scaling are.

However, could someone tell me if I am accurate in thinking that voicing effects the loudness/softness of a pipe a lot less, relatively speaking, than scaling? In other words, while altering the flue area of an existing pipe can make it a little louder; making a new pipe of a height that would give it the same pitch as the old pipe - but with a fatter diameter (i.e. scaling) - could potentially make it MUCH louder.

And wind pressure comes into play, too, correct?

Comments?
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    The scaling is of the primary importance to real organ building. The voicing at the toe and mouth areas are to make the pipe play as its scaling is designed. Many organ companies have gotten lazy in the scaling department, using standard scales for every stop in every organ, no matter what the acoustic environment will be, then forcing the pipes to sound the way the want, even when that's NOT what the pipe really wants to do. Those parts are also soldered into place and really only want minimal pushing out of shape. The more forced the tonal finishing is, the more unstable the entire organ sound as the metal tries to spring back where it was originally soldered.
  • francis
    Noel?

I know upping the pressure can add significant volume
  • CharlesW
    It can also destroy tone if not built into the instrument by the builder. I have told the story of finding bricks on the regulators when I took my current job. The previous organist wanted more volume. He got it, but it sounded harsh and unpleasant.