Priest Scolded me for doing the Introit
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    It has been my experience that consulting the pastor is a good way to hear the word "no." YMMV.
  • Clerget,

Not consulting the pastor is a good way to hear the word "out".
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    That's true as well, but if you've already got a bead on what your pastor will and won't approve, you know what things are worth bringing up and which are not. Not trying to say that you should act now and ask for forgiveness later, but just that I feel like some people want you to consult them just so they can either shoot you down or influence what you're doing.
  • Kathy
    1. The pastor has a bigger responsibility than just music, and is probably taking into consideration things a DM doesn't have to worry about (thankfully).
    2. The pastor has canonical jurisdiction over the parish, including its music.

By all means, we should be advocating for the propers and working towards implementing them. But that is not the same as springing them on the pastor.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Bring on the CIRCUMAMBULATION, sez I!
    Thanked by 3chonak JL CHGiffen
  • BruceL
    I feel like this (punchy) response HAD to have been written before noon on Monday or AFTER noon on a Friday!!!!

The USCCB responded to a question on this practice just a few years ago, which answers the question of whether this practice should/can be done. That being said the OP shouldn't have done it without consulting their pastor first.

Dubium: A Major Catholic Basilica in America has the following practice: as the priest processes to the altar, they sing an opening hymn. Then, as the Bishop incenses the altar, they sing the Proper Introit in Gregorian chant. Is this practice licit?

Responsum (Feb 14, 2012 at 7:29 AM): Thank you for your question. Why would you think it illicit to sing both a hymn and the antiphon during the entrance, especially at a more solemn liturgy involving the bishop when the procession and the incensation of the altar might require more music to accompany the action? This is, in fact, the practice in many cathedrals, especially at stational masses of the bishop which include the whole presbyterate of a diocese (such as the Chrism Mass or ordinations).

Executive Director, Secretariat of Divine Worship, USCCB, 3211 4th St. NE, Washington, DC 20017
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • I have been singing the introit and communion antiphons every Sunday since the beginning of Lent. I announce the Entrance Hymn as everyone stands, then chant the introit (no verses), then immediately go into the Entrance Hymn. At communion, I chant the communio, then after a moment of silence, announce the communion hymn. I have had no problems with this format.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • LenaH
    Just a little tidbit from my parish...

Our new administrator, Fr. H. (full of charisma, holiness and very apparent joy for his vocation) who, after being ordained in 2007, was assigned to our parish as parochial vicar. Shortly following Pope Benedict's "motu proprio" Fr. H. began celebrating the EF Mass, albeit on Monday evenings, once a month, since replacing any of the Sunday liturgies was a "no-no." He was and I believe still is, one of only three priests trained to celebrate the EF Mass, wo we were extremely fortunate to have him. Sadly for our parish and especially the schola, Fr. H. was given a new assignment in 2011 (Diocesan Director for Vocations) He has done a wonderful job BTW, in encouraging new vocations! This past March, due to our then pastor requesting a temporary "leave of absence" (right before the Triduum, no less), Fr. H. returned to our parish as temporary administrator while simultaneously continuing as D of V.

Anyway, to make a long story short, Fr. H. is fully aware of what constitutes music appropriate to the sacred liturgy. In fact, before his reassignment as D of V, he was in the process of giving mini workshops to the parish music ministers regarding Church documents pertaining to music, so we would all be aware of the mind of the Church. The schola appreciated the workshops very much, while most of the adult choir, not so much. In fact, the director of music and most of the choir quit as a result.

After Corpus Christi, Fr. H. asked me if the short sequence is all we knew ("Ecce panis....) He them said he would like for us to learn the complete sequence for next year. I was overjoyed! The pastor who was on leave always "nixed" the extra stuff (Corpus Christi, Pentecost sequence, etc.) saying they would prolong the Mass. He was of the mindset that Mass could not go beyond 60 minutes and would, for example, get very impatient if the readers and extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist sat in the back, saying it took them a long time to reach the sanctuary. Needless to say, Mass felt very rushed! Now, with Fr. H, Mass feels more sacred, more solemn, the congregation can actually reflect on the readings, the homily, pray after receiving Communion.

So....returning to the OP's original post, our schola only sings the processional hymn, no Introit, at Offertory, the SEP proper, followed by a hymn, at Communion, we sing the SEP proper, then a hymn or 2, if time allows.

We are so fortunate, so blessed to have Fr. H. at the helm!
  • The good thing is that he is a nice guy and he didn't try to make me feel like a complete jerk. Although, I realize how much of an idiot I was to just go ahead and do it without having consulted the priest... Guess I still have a lot to learn. Please continue to pray for me as I go on with my duties as a sacred musician.