EF Proper for External Solemnity of Ss. Peter & Paul
  • madorganist
    According to the FSSP Ordo, the external solemnity of the Holy Apostles Ss. Peter & Paul is to be celebrated on the Sunday following their feast day - this year, July 3. Please see the attached image of the rubric from the chant book I use, the 1954 Liber brevior. It does not appear in the 1961/2 Liber, so I'm wondering if this applies to the 1962 Missal or if it is something that was changed under Pius XII. Anybody know?
  • tomjaw
    An external Solemnity CAN be celebrated for the Feast of Peter and Paul on the Sunday following their feast. This is from the LMS ordo...

Votive Mass for an External Solemnity
    By this term is meant the celebration of the Mass of a feast when, for the good of the faithful, it is celebrated on a Sunday or some other day.
    These feasts include the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, the BVM of the Rosary, the Purification of the BVM, principal Patrons, anniversary of the dedication and titular of a church, the titular or canonised founder of an order or congregation together with other feasts celebrated by a special gathering of the faithful.
    Unless otherwise determined this Mass may be celebrated on the Sunday before or after the feast or some other day or even on the day itself where the feast is impeded by the rubrics.
    Normally only 2 Low Masses, or 1 Low and 1 High or Sung Mass, are allowed. An External Solemnity may not be celebrated on I Class Sunday or I Class feast.
    (General Rubrics of Missal 356-361)

Normally this external solemnity would be celebrated by churches dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, or those places where the Cathedral dedication or Patron is to SS. Peter and Paul.

In my opinion it would be a good thing for all FSSP churches to make use of this option.

The use of this option is up to the Parish Priest and /or Celebrant.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • MatthewRoth
    Plus, traditionally the 1st Sunday in July was the Precious Blood, either as the feast or as the external solemnity of the 1July feast, after St. Pius X moved it to that date.
  • Protasius
    The Mass for 30 June mentioned in the above rubric is the Mass for the Commemoration of St. Paul, which would have taken precedence over the Sunday according to the rubrics then in force; by now it is of III class and the Sunday takes precedence. The Mass Mihi autum mentioned above for 1-5 July is the Mass during the Octave of Ss. Peter and Paul that was abolished under Pius XII.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • madorganist
    Thanks a ton, Protasius! This is exactly the information I was looking for. I'll share it with my priests (who were also perplexed by the Liber rubric).
  • tomjaw
    I would presume that under 1962 rules, The Propers of the Mass of the External Solemnity will be the same as on the Feast...
    [...]celebration of the Mass of a feast...
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Our church, which is Sts. Peter and Paul, is celebrating this Feast day on this coming Sunday, June 26 (I'm not sure why).

Thoughts?
  • MatthewRoth
    It really should be the next one, because you can historically celebrate the Nativity of St. John the Baptist on Sunday the 26th.
  • madorganist
    CCooze, scan from this year's FSSP Ordo attached. See paragraph 2.image
    1680 x 2660 - 898K
  • MatthewRoth
    I think the legislation is widely ignored in 1962ville and wisely so, given that you lose the Sunday after Pentecost and that you have had so many white Sundays; if today’s feast falls on Sunday, that is two more white Sundays in a row.
  • madorganist
    Or red perhaps ;)
  • chonakchonak
    Since the principal Sunday Mass in most US parishes is not a sung Mass (i.e., the priest does not sing his parts), that would seem to leave little scope for applying the rule.
  • madorganist
    Chonak, you must have visited different EF communities than I have!
  • chonakchonak
    In most of the EF communities I know, the principal parish Mass is an OF Mass (with hymns and sung congregational parts, but without sung dialogues).

Usually the EF Mass, even if it is sung, is not an official part of the parish's public ministry (as mandated by the diocese), but rather a "private" Mass added voluntarily by the pastor under the provisions of Summorum Pontificum.
  • chonakchonak
    Incidentally, the Cantius Ordo mentions the external solemnity on Sunday as an option.
  • MatthewRoth
    Well, white/gold Sundays. The principal Mass might not be Sung or High Mass, but it could be a Low Mass. In England the Asperges is still required at the principle Mass no matter its form of celebration.