Gordie Howe Funeral
  • Anyone know what the music was for this?
  • ghmus7
    I would like to know where the funeral was as he was a hero of my childhood.
  • Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament in Detroit.
  • canadashcanadash
    Here it is. I didn't watch it, except for the eulogy by his son, which was prior to Mass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxbpFX75zC4
  • Music was ok, although it would have been nice to see more chant, and that recessional...
    I like that they sang the communion antiphon though. They could have easily done the Introit and Offertory, they had plenty of time.
  • Caleferink
    Here's the rundown per the video above:

Entrance: "O God, Our Help in Ages Past"
    Penitential Act: Form C - spoken tropes with chanted responses in English, all led by the celebrant
    Responsorial Psalm: a gospel setting of Psalm 23 (composer?) - text from Revised Grail Psalter
    Alleluia: Norah Duncan IV refrain - choral setting of Rev. 1: 5a, 6b ("Jesus Christ is the first born of the dead...")
    Offertory: "Sicut cervus" & "Sitivit anima mea" (Palestrina)
    Sanctus, Mysterium, Amen: A Community Mass (Proulx)
    Agnus Dei: Mass XVIII
    Communion: "Lux aeterna" / Psalm 130 from SEP; "I Received the Living God"; "Pie Jesu" from Fauré Requiem
    I'm not sure what exactly happened to the Subviente
    Recessional: "Goin' Up Yonder"
  • Anyone have a copy of the worship aid?
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Organ building tangent here: I find it ironic that, in a Cathedral named for the Blessed Sacrament, somebody decided the congregation needed to worship organ pipes at the front of the building! As a cradle-Catholic, a Catholic organist since high school (1960s), and as a former pipe organ builder, I find organ pipes (and choir spaces) front/center in Catholic churches an anathema.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 canadash
  • Recessional: "Goin' Up Yonder"

Apparently Mr. Howe and his family (and whoever else was involved) recognized that there isn't actually a recessional hymn at Mass, or, rather, given the choice of other music, that the recessional isn't part of Mass.

• melofluentmelofluent
    It isn't.
  • ronkrisman
    ...somebody decided the congregation needed to worship organ pipes at the front of the building!

No, I don't think anyone decided that at all. That thought is all yours.

The pipe organ in the apse of Blessed Sacrament cathedral is the second pipe organ in that building and, IMO, is much superior to having a simulacum with hidden speakers or a spinet piano.

Only an organist would ever be tempted to render latria to a bunch of pipes.
  • I am consistently amused and astounded at the ridiculous assertion that a hymn following the dismissal is not a part of the mass and, therefore, it doesn't really matter what it is or what one does. Of course, we all know that, technically, it isn't. And yes, these seemingly thoughtless assertors keep reminding us, it isn't. At least, not 'actually'. But, still, it is. It very much is. And it very much matters what it is, just as it matters what all the other music at or connected with the mass is. It isn't part of the mass, but it still is, as long as it's sung or played, it is part of the mass and must needs be congruent with it - must have an innate ritual affinity with it - and be performed as the sacred adornment that it is.

Let's say that we are visiting the Louvre and the Mona Lisa that we have travelled across the ocean to see has been reframed with a frame of neon lights. Gad! How shocked, dismayed, and annoyed we rightly would be. But, says the curator, the painting ends at its edge and the frame is not part of the painting. So what. It's been defiled, mocked, and both it and we have been assaulted with the most egregious bad taste and stupidity.

Most of us wouldn't think of putting a big bottle of ketchup on the Thanksgiving Day or Christmas dinner table. These are times of festivitas that at the same time have a quasi-ritual dimension. A bottle of ketchup or mustard amidst our best china and silver and crystal, and our finest turkey and dressing, or crown roast and Lyonaise potatoes would be quite out of place - gauche, really. But, some clod would say, they are not a part of the meal or the china. Still, good fellow, they don't belong here.

The books we read, the really fine ones, have Prefaces, and, often, Epilogues. The sloppy reader will avoid them, but the true literatus will read them assiduously, knowing that they play an important part in comprehending the text itself - that sometimes they are even better than the text which they 'bookend'. So it is with organ voluntaries, and hymnody. These should always compliment the mass in some way and be congruent with its nature. Yes, they aren't a part of the mass... but they are. The mature mind will perceive and know this, understand it exquisitely.

Anything that frames, is an addendum to, or is in any way done with or to, the mass, is quite as important as those things that are the mass itself. They are not a part of the mass, but they are - just as surely as what frames the Mona Lisa matters.

It's really rather striking that anyone possessed of an ounce of taste, common sense, and discrimination would say otherwise. It isn't, but it is. It does matter. Congruity matters.
  • MatthewRoth
    Father, I don’t think Steve Collins is suggesting that anyone would worship the pipes, but it is a distraction from the liturgies offered at the principal altar...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Of course, we all know that, technically, it isn't. Yes, these childish assertions keep reminding us, it isn't.

Astonishment. In one breath you acknowledge an assertion's veracity and then call its author a child. Whatever possessed you?
  • ronkrisman
    I don’t think Steve Collins is suggesting that anyone would worship the pipes

What he wrote is actually worse than that, since he states that "somebody decided the congregation needed to worship organ pipes." His words assign an evil intention either to the architect, organ builder, rector, or archbishop, or some combination of them. That is more serious than some inane use of hyperbole.
  • a_f_hawkins
    We always knew the prayers at the foot of the altar were not part of the Mass, except that now they clearly are in the NO. Perhaps because they were/are congruent.
    Are organ pipes obscuring stained glass not also incongrous?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Actually having been to Mass and other events at the Detroit Cathedral several times, I've never thought the organ pipes were a distraction.

I prefer the loft organ, but both are well crafted instruments.
  • MatthewRoth
    Fair, Father. I do think it is hyperbole, however poorly crafted.
  • Melo -
    I fixed it, I think.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BruceL
    Steve, "worshiping the organ" is the least of the concerns in that sanctuary design!
  • chonakchonak
    These organ pipes suggest a parabole, but not a hyperbole:
    Thanked by 2canadash lmassery
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Actually, if equally spaced on the chest (which they aren't, in practice), the pipe lengths suggest an exponential curve if placed in a row with increasing pitch. If, on the other hand, and as in this picture, they are placed with alternating notes (C,D,E,F#,G#,A#... to one side, C#,D#,F,G,A,B... to the other side), then the curve suggested is closer to a catenary than a parabola. However, with larger pipe diameters throwing the equal spacing out of kilter for lower notes, the curve is yet different than either a parabola or an approximate catenary curve.
  • chonakchonak
    To illustrate the distinction CHG makes:

For those on their way to St. Louis shortly, here is an examination of the curve of the Gateway Arch: http://www.intmath.com/blog/mathematics/is-the-gateway-arch-a-parabola-4306
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen eft94530

• Liam
    The old overhead catenary system of the New Haven RR was a beautiful thing to behold when trains were running.

I've never found a good online discussion of the merits of cycloidal versus inverse catenary arches for vaulting. But I loves me some Guastavino Calatan vaulting; it's interesting how a centuries-old system came into wonderful use in modern building in the USA for a couple of generations, only to be indirectly stopped in its tracks by the advent of 20th century buildings codes that were unable to comprehend and accommodate it.
  • ghmus7
    There are a grrat number of incredible architectural gems in Detroit, but many of them closed. The cathedral, revcieved a renovation, which i will not comment on
  • Since Greg eschews comment, I shant: I looks like the Klingons took over.