Companies that pack up and move organs
  • kpoterack
    I was wondering if anyone knew of companies (other than organ builders) who pack up and move old organs? I know about the Organ Clearing House, of course, but I was wondering if there was anyone else who did this.
  • CharlesW
    Depends on where you are located, and where the nearest organ service facility is in relation to you.
  • kpoterack
    I am in Virginia.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    The problem with that is someone or company having the knowledge and ability to take an organ apart and put it back together again is EXACTLY the skill set required to be an organ builder or organ building company. Anything that breaks in the process, especially possible on an older instrument, will need to be repaired or replaced. If it's an electric or electro-pneumatic organ, it quite possibly still has cotton insulated wiring which MUST be updated to pass the newer codes. You can also count on there having been unresolved problems with the organ where it is now, that probably should have been fixed already, but weren't. IOW organ moving IS organ building. If the organ, in its new environment, is even the slightest bit less than before it was moved, it will be considered a failure, and that will have repercussions into the future for both the church and the moving company. In fact, some organ builders have more knowledge about some organ companies' products than others, so you might need to take into consideration the brand of organ to be moved, and find the most expert in that, even if they have to come from out of state. Taking any short cuts in this process equals getting exactly what you paid for!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • kpoterack
    Steve, so you are saying, have the builder do the move.
    If that builder still exists, probably so. Are we talking tracker or "American Classic"?

In the case we've been talking about, the builder I suggested has been servicing the organs in question, and has experience in those types.

Of course, you can also build in conditions to your contract with whomever. But I don't really know of any organ moving companies.
    I moved a simple II/P AE Skinner practice organ three times for a Houston organist.

The first move required the AC side of the organ completely rewired, and the main cables disconnected, and reconnected much more cleanly than previously.

The second move necessitated putting 6 Subbass pipes vertically - as originally designed, but up on the frame since there was such a nice ceiling. I also put off-set pipes back on the main chest.

The third move needed those bass pipes put back horizontal (we didn't throw anything away with each move), pipes on the main chest put back on off-set toe-boards, and the main cable totally replaced because the console was 10' too far from the chests.

There was a moving company that carried heavy stuff and trucked it. The rest of the work was done by me, myself, and I.