Compline according to new Ordo Cantus Officii
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I would like to make adjustments to my booklet for Compline, so that it matches the new Ordo Cantus Officii (2015).

However, they assigned antiphons to a couple of days that cannot be found in modern chant editions:
    Monday: Intende voci orationis meae. (Ps. 85,6 [=5,3]; tr. man.)
    Tuesday: Ne intres in iudicium cum servo tuo, Domine. (Ps. 142, 2; tr. man.)
    Friday: Domine, Deus salutis meae, in die clamavi et nocte coram te. (Ps. 87, 2; CAO 2339)

The abbreviation tr. man. stands for "antiphona ex traditione mediaevali sumpta, in CAO tamen non comparens".

Who can help me finding these antiphons?
  • igneusigneus
    The last one is listed in Antiphonale Synopticum, but with incomplete tune, because neither CAO, nor the Regensburger gregorianists know any diastematic source. (The single codex listed as knowing it in the CAO is Hartker's.)

The same Antiphonale Synopticum knows a longer variant of the first antiphon.
  • chonakchonak
    In the 1912 Antiphonale (p. 59):
    671 x 193 - 19K
  • Are any of these these three links any use?

Thanked by 2igneus smvanroode
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Thanks. I already knew of the longer version of Intende voci, but the OCO prescribes a shorter text. I also saw the last antiphon in the Antiphonale Synopticum, and the missing part.

I'm still puzzled by the assignment of antiphons that cannot be found in the chant books of the last 140 years. How is it possible to sing the LotH in Latin and Gregorian chant?
  • MatthewRoth
    In short, it isn’t possible.

I wonder if they intended to cut down the antiphon chonak gave. Also, it seems to me Solesmes has been wary of new compositions but that the progression of the texts of the Novus Ordo Missae and the LH has required it, whether new chants are actually made or not.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • joerg
    According to Frans Kok's Laus Divina:
    "Ne intres" may be found in Aachen Dombibliothek 20, Sanctorale f151v
    and also in the famous article by Dom Jean Claire "Les répertoires liturgiques latins avant l'octoechos".
    "Domine Deus salutis" may be found in the Antiphoner of San Lorenzo in Muggiasca, pars aestiva f238v
    Thanked by 1smvanroode
  • tomjaw
    but that the progression of the texts of the Novus Ordo Missae and the LH has required it, whether new chants are actually made or not.

and
    I'm still puzzled by the assignment of antiphons that cannot be found in the chant books of the last 140 years. How is it possible to sing the LotH in Latin and Gregorian chant?

I know Hanlon's razor, "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity", can adequately explain this, but I can't help thinking that malice plays a part.
  • MatthewRoth
    Possibly. My understanding from Dr. Schaefer is that Solesmes was stung looking back on the composition of new melodies and seeing some great successes (“Cogitationes” and I would argue “Signum Magnum”) and utter failures (the glorious texts of S. Thérèse’s feast and–this might actually be sabotage– S. Joseph the Worker/Comunista) and basically decided to cut back. Office antiphons are a different animal, however, being that it is much easier to fit the text into the note arrangements common to the mode. The Alleluia of Paschaltide Compline in the Liber uses the same notes in places as the Sunday antiphon, for example.
  • joerg
    Here are the three antiphons according to Les Heures Grégoriennes:

Thanked by 2smvanroode CHGiffen
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Many thanks! I have LHG on my bookshelf, but I didn't think of looking there.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    This is the adjusted booklet for Compline (will be available on my website later on):
  • igneusigneus
    @smvanroode Will the "outdated" booklet be available even afterwards? I would find it useful.
    Thanked by 2Paul F. Ford Olivier
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Good suggestion. I'll keep the old booklet up for download.

[Edit: both now online at Liturgia Horarum website]
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    And for those who like a hard copy, it's also available at lulu.com:

Paperback on Lulu (€12,50)
    Hardcover on Lulu (€18,95)
  • PLTT
    I noticed that the new Ordo Cantus Officii also has 'ad libitum' antiphons for the Nunc Dimittis. Does anyone know if these are ever used, and where? I have only ever heard the traditional 'Salva nos'.
  • igneusigneus
    Wow, really? I hope Media vita is among them.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    It's not, sadly :(

I've found three of them, for Ferias, I can't find the one for Easter and Sundays anywhere. I'll message a pdf of them to anyone who asks, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it, given that I got it through library pdf sharing.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Really? Could you give some directions (page numbers) to find these in the new OCO? I wasn't able to see any other suggestions for the Nunc dimitittis than Salva nos.
  • PLTT
    Page 283.
  • PLTT
    They are:

Sundays and Eastertide:

Vigilemus omnes cum Christo, semper cum timore accedamus ad Dominum: quia hic est leo fortis qui surrexit, et ipse vicit serpentem antiquam, alleluia.

Feriae:

Gregem tuum, Domine, ne deseras, Pastor bone, qui dormire nescis sed semper vigilas.

Lucem tuam, Domine, nobis concede, ut destructis cordium tenebris pervenire possimus ad lumen quod est Christus.

Pacem tuam quaesumus, Domine, et pax tua Christe, maneat mentibus nostris:ut non timeamus a timore nocturno, sed semper vigelemus cunctis in operibus mandatorum tuorum.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I hope to have a copy of the 1901 Variae Preces soon be delivered, so Gregem tuum and Lucem tuam can be recovered (both VP 30).

For the first antiphon, Vigilemus omnes, I can't find any possible source.
    For the last antiphon, here is a link to manuscripts:

Pacem tuam quaesumus (CAO 4206) Who is able to transcribe this chant?
  • PLTT
    There is a version that can also be found in Variae Preces which is online at Google Books - I do not know why OCO2 did not give that reference (and sorry, I am not knowledgeable in any way about chant so I can't tell whether it is the same or different from the melody in CAO 4206).

I don't know VP is viewable in your country from Google Books, so I have attached a pdf from their scan of the 3 antiphons (Pacem, Lucem, Gregem).
    Thanked by 2smvanroode CHGiffen
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The texts of VP 30 and CAO 4206 are not identical (however, the texts of OCO and CAO 4206 also differ).