Sacred Music archives completed!
  • chonakchonak
    At long last we have a complete collection of back issues of our journal Sacred Music on-line, at http://musicasacra.com/journal/archives/

Thanks to Prof. Peter Kwasniewski for providing copies of issues from the early years for scanning!
  • Many thanks to all who helped with this project!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Tremendous!
  • chonakchonak
    The journal archive listing now includes the table of contents of every issue. Happy reading!
  • Great to see this! Thanks for sticking with it to completion.
  • Reading the early issues is a LOT of fun. The language is so over-the-top.
    Thanked by 2Ben Heath
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    "Catholics with a sense of history realize this restored Roman Missal replaces
    the one promulgated in 1570 by Saint Pius V who was responding to the
    decrees of the Council of Trent. They certainly do not lament this replacement.
    They realize that 400 years have intervened since Trent. They recognize that
    the same historical process which brought about the missal of Trent now gives
    us the missal of Vatican II, both of which are the Roman Missal, prescribing
    the manner in which the changeless Sacrifice of the New Law is to be offered
    for men in the memorial prescribed by the Redeemer Himself."

How nice that this is not true.
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Also this rather unreflected turn of phrase:

"sparkling with the goodness and the wholesomeness of
    the twentieth century"

(Both from the Spring, 1970 Issue's article on the musical dimensions of the New Rite of Mass)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Andrew_Malton
    Ooh, I want that on a (black) t-shirt.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 Olivier
  • CharlesW
    It was a dark and stormy night...

Reading the early issues is a LOT of fun. The language is so over-the-top.

Since I was around at that time, I assure you many people had the best of intentions. Something went wrong in the application.
  • eft94530eft94530
    the best of intentions

Naive optimism wafting through open doors and windows.

Spring 1970 (sm097-1.pdf)
    Reviews start on page 31.
    I skimmed as far as page 33 column 2.
    LITURGICAL ARTS- Volume 38, No. 2, February 1970
    Liturgical Arts Society's quarterly.
    Music- We Must Learn to Celebrate by Robert W. Hovda and Gabe Huck, p. 42.

Oh my goodness. Twenty-four years later (1994) I attended a Liturgy class,
    and Hovda and Huck were still among the excerpts in the "reader".
    Do not know what is currently distributed.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Naive optimism - yes. Reactionary obstructionism - yes. Bad tactics - speed of 'advance' unsupported by logistics. Probably most importantly untrained troops, most clergy (I gather) were drilled in how to find their way through the books, and in decorum such as how to keep your elbows from being visible to the congregation, or how far to swing a censer, that was the extent of their understanding of the ars celebrandi. Congregations either wanted to get Mass over in less than 20 minutes, or wanted to hear good music for the aesthetic pleasure.
    As for music, what can we sing in English? John Ainslie managed to produce the Simple Gradual (for Sundays and Holidays) from ICEL translations of the GS by early 1968. Unfortunately it appeared just a fortnight before the calendar reform was promulgated. The average ignoramus would pick it up, see that it referred to the Septuagesima Season, and believe it to be outdated. END of RANT
  • chonakchonak
    The cover art for the first few years tells a story:
    Year 1:
    Year 2:
    Year 3:

With the start of the third year, the newly elected president of the Association, Ted Marier, thanked the outgoing president and journal editor Archabbot Weakland for his service, and announced the appointment of Fr. Ralph March, OCist, as editor.
    Thanked by 3eft94530 Ben BruceL