A weird line in a job ad...
  • BenBen
    Honestly, it seems like an issue of priorities. I'm not exactly made of money. Most college students aren't. But when I got married recently, about half our (relatively) small wedding budget went to music and clergy stipends (though most of it music), the other half into a few decorations for our potluck reception.

When people start to realize Marriage is a sacrament, and the wedding is a liturgy, not a stage show for the beautiful bride, people will also begin to realize that music isn't just an optional add on, something that doesn't really matter so they shouldn't get paid.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I've done Nuptial Masses at anticipated Saturday Masses before. The Universal Prayer is done immediately following the vows and then is followed by the Credo, then the Offertory.
  • CharlesW
    They almost can not pay me enough to deal with weddings. I contract them all out. I charge for funerals with the understanding that if it is a parish member who can't pay, I won't charge. I also don't charge for choir member's or their immediate family member's funerals. If they sing in the choir on Sundays without compensation, I think they deserve a free funeral.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Can we use that in the promotional materials?
    "Can you sing? Join the choir! FREE FUNERAL MUSIC WHEN YOU DIE."
  • melofluentmelofluent
    If I've said it once, ergo 1M times- you wanna liturgical wedding, do 'em all on Sunday/wkend Masses. I agree with D. Oneill, my one occasion was thirty years ago at St. Joseph Workman, Berkeley....was awesome.
  • CharlesW
    Can we use that in the promotional materials?

Seems kind of over the line for advertising. However, it never hurts to let the choir know that you are there for them when they are in need. Let's face it, our parish can't pay them for the work they do. I find it a small thing to do for them.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    When people start to realize Marriage is a sacrament, and the wedding is a liturgy, not a stage show for the beautiful bride, people will also begin to realize that music isn't just an optional add on, something that doesn't really matter so they shouldn't get paid.

Um, we are talking about Catholics here? You know, the denomination that puts the least amount of money per person in the collection basket....
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • eft94530eft94530
    in abject poverty?

in poverty

https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines