PDF: Holy Week Mass and Offices
  • chonakchonak
    Here is an additional chant book for Holy Week.

The 1961 Ordo Hebdomadae Sanctae juxta Ritum Monasticum is a fairly uncommon book that presents full offices and Masses for Holy Week according to Benedictine tradition.

It follows the Holy Week rites as reformed in 1955. In a few points, the tones used for the Passion readings are simpler than the "Roman" tradition followed in the books for parishes.

You can download the book here. (10 MB)

If any kind souls would like to toss a few bucks in the kitty to defray the costs ($270), I'm happy to accept Paypal contributions at richard at chonak dot com . Thanks!
  • chonakchonak
    I've re-made the PDF file, so I'd recommend downloading it again to get a nicer version.

If there's a PDF expert out there who can improve on this (which is probably possible), I'd be happy to provide the original photo images as raw material. Some of the imperfection was unavoidable, as I was working with a borrowed library copy that showed its age.
  • Great pdf. Thanks a lot. Do you know the name of the publisher who sell the book for $270?
  • chonakchonak
    I didn't buy a copy. It cost me $270 to have a library copy scanned, because scanning a bound book takes a few hours of labor. (I could have paid less at another firm, but I wasn't willing to ship the borrowed book cross-country.)

If people are interested in having it printed, I can take the PDF to Lulu and see if they can print it.
  • Geremia
    Is there a scan available of the pre-1955, 1956, or 1958 Ordo Hebdomadae Sanctae?
  • chonakchonak
    I'm not aware of any. It may be out there, but if it doesn't contain chant, then it tends not to get as much notice here.
  • MatthewRoth
    The pre-1955 chant book for Holy Week is on the CMAA site.
  • chonakchonak
    The 1923 book isn't "Instauratus".
    Thanked by 1Geremia
  • Geremia
    The pre-1955 chant book for Holy Week is on the CMAA site.
    Where exactly, MatthewRoth? Do you have a link?
    thanks
  • MatthewRoth
    Right, chonak, but the OP asked for it anyways... Of course the “restored” Holy Week (which I cannot say with a straight face!”). It should be basically the same until the 1951 ad libitum Easter Vigil changes and/or the 1955 changes to everything.
    1923 book