Anglican Chant for Psalm 31.
  • dboothe
  • Interesting!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • jefe
    David,
    Very nice chant '20' chords. Nice unresolved D7+4/2/or Am7+4 on the last measure leaving the keynote for the repeat in the tenor. Also, the 'tune' is worthy to sung by itself without harmony. Since I realize Anglican Chant into an instrumentalist usable notation, and use the 'tune' by itself when the text demands, I really appreciate the 'tune' to be interesting enough to stand by itself. I'm up to 120 Psalm settings of all kinds in my library including 45 of Peter Hallocks's legendary settings, all in a realized format. My goal is to put on a year long Psalm Pseries with a quarter of the Psalms chanted or spoken by several different groups on each of four programs. I'll realize yours and post it up here.
    Thanks again.
    regards, jefe
    In manus tuas, Domine, commendo spiritum meum.
  • jefe
    Here it is:
    Thanked by 1dboothe
  • Fascinating!
    Really fine!
    Compelling!
    Thanked by 1dboothe
  • dboothe
  • jefe
    Thanks for getting back. I use a piano 'pedal' sign for an asterisk as a normal asterisk is very small. The pedal sign has more presence and will move anywhere I put it on the score. I'm using Sibelius 7.5 having gone through Sib. 3, and Sib.6.2.
    I harmonize my chants the same way you do: it's all in the voice leading. Here follow some examples of plainsong tone harmonizations. I write out a set of harmonies to invoke a certain feel making sure they have enough contrast. Then I apply the most appropriate harmonization to the verse at hand. So here are a couple of my stock harmonizations: ABCD and EFGH in a couple settings. The good part is they are easy to learn and not too complex. I guess the unique part about me is that I am NOT a keyboard player so have a more linear outlook. All that study of Mahler was worth something, I guess. However, i only have two regrets in my life: 1. I did not become a proficient keyboard player, and 2. I did not learn Church Latin at an early age.
    jefe