Colloquium Appropriateness
  • Do you think that the colloquium would be appropriate for a 13 year old?
    If so, what should he/she expect?
  • BenBen
    I'd think so, assuming they're fine socializing with and being in a crowd of adults. There's typically quite a few younger people there, both college age, and even some high schoolers.

I did a lot of things with adults when I was that age, and would have been fine, but YMMV.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    What about babies?
    The Colloquium never seems to be at a time that works for me. I couldn't leave a newborn (even though both of my other kids as infants have loved every bit of being in rehearsals with me at various events/occasions at home with my husband. It's soothing and puts them to sleep because that's what they hear their whole gestational lives, anyway)
  • BenBen
    I've seen more than one mom bring their babies before, so while I can't speak personally for them, It's been done. Go for it, if you think you can!
  • chonakchonak
    The Colloquium description has this info:

A parent or chaperone must accompany youth attendees under eighteen. The chaperone must be at least twenty-one years old and registered for the full Colloquium or as a Companion. A parental or guardian permission form and release must be on file with the CMAA before anyone under the age of eighteen may be admitted to the Colloquium, either by sending the completed form or by presenting it at registration. If the youth participant is not accompanied by a parent, a medical treatment authorization form must also be provided to the chaperone or guardian.

And most years a baby or two is present for the Colloquium.
  • canadashcanadash
    My sons went last year. They were 14 and 16. They LOVED it.

I think if you are in an infancy stage with your baby it should be fine. As long as baby isn't crawling around and wanting to escape your grasp. There was a lovely mom there last year with a baby, but her husband was also there to help.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    In Loyola I recall a mother with a nursing infant. IIRC, it was very non-chalante and loving how everyone regarded their situation and needs. I would think that wouldn't have changed.
  • MatthewRoth
    Solfège baby!!!! So yes. Babies are welcome.

Teens should be OK.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Thanks for all the advice. The people that I am thinking about socialize with adults fine, especially young adults, and those interested in this are smart enough not to get into drugs and you know all of that stuff. I will see how it goes.

@chonak Does the file for the CMAA mean that the teen must be registered with the CMAA as well as the parent?
  • chonakchonak
    Let me refer you to contact@musicasacra.com for any particular questions on procedures for young attendees.
  • I've never attended this kind of event so I don't know how large it is, but I have attended American Musicological Society conferences and I know they offer child care now. (Although this is a very recent thing, in the past five years or less). Even then I saw people bring kids to lectures, no one minds as long as you have sense enough to take a screaming baby or toddler out of the room if need be. Maybe the colloquium has a child care option? Or if not, I'd look into starting one in the future, if there is a big enough need and interest.
  • @FidemInFidebus I was thinking more for someone to participate with workshops.
  • A baby and mother at Pittsburgh the first year added a lot - I do believe that she is an active poster here and hearing from her would be valuable.

There is a very seriou behavior issue that must be discussed. Letting children and youth in dramatically improves the behavior of the adults, works in choirs, too.
  • We are always pleased to have young people participate at Colloquia (teens). We do require that the teen be a registered participant in order to attend sessions and that a parent or chaperone attend as well. We do have a companion option for parents who do not wish to participate in sessions, but want to accompany their child. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to contact me at programs@musicasacra.com.

Babes in arms are not uncommon at Colloquia... we do not offer childcare, but there have been some participants in the past who have brought along a spouse or babysitter to assist. As Fideminfidebus mentioned, no one minds as long as you are considerate of the other participants and take a noisy child out of a lecture or rehearsal if necessary.
  • Jani
    YES!!!! If your 13-year-old sings, he/she will love it! My daughter was 13 and she had a great time and learned alot. We were both beginners so we were in the same groups. It really was great:)
  • BenBen
    I remember taking the polyphony course with David Hughes in Indy, and I believe there were 3 or 4 babies in the group!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I believe there were 3 or 4 babies in the group
    I can hear the 3- or 4-part harmony now!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I remember taking the polyphony course with David Hughes in Indy, and I believe there were 3 or 4 babies in the group!

I thought Culbreth didn't make it that year?
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • CharlesW
    Aren't all those intoxicated babies noisy?
  • G
    What about babies?

Is "Singing Mum" the name Mary Ann uses here?
    You should talk to her, CCooze.
    Anyway, there are almost always multiple infants, and recently small children, and they cause no problem for other attendees whatsover.
    And you can ask Singing Mum, some of us are pretty good with helping out, offering shoulders to be vomitted upon, that sort of thing.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Yes! I brought my Dominic when he was four months old to Pittsburgh. And yes, G and lots of folks were most helpful.
    Wilko even let me conduct with Dom in a baby bjorn. :)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Well, I would just assume it to be ok (Catholic women tend to have a lot of babies), but it's good to hear encouragement on the matter.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • kevinfkevinf
    There were several babies in Pgh this past summer. I thought it to be no problem. And young people also were there. Start passing the tradition early.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    And young people also were there. Start passing the tradition early.

It is great for the young people to know they are not alone in their desire for GREAT music at church. They are inundated with schlock at youth conferences and various gatherings. It's quite uplifting when Charles Cole asks a teenager to sing an incipit... Bring your teenagers. Your church music program will reap the rewards.
  • I am thinking of starting a teen choir which specializes in Gregorian Chant and Polyphony. I hope that maybe the Colloquium will help these people with this ministry.
    Thanked by 3canadash Ben CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    I am thinking of starting a teen choir which specializes in Gregorian Chant and Polyphony. I hope that maybe the Colloquium will help these people with this ministry.

Go for it!
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • canadashcanadash
    I am thinking of starting a teen choir which specializes in Gregorian Chant and Polyphony. I hope that maybe the Colloquium will help these people with this ministry.

We have a girls' schola who sing the Gregorian notation and sing Chant almost exclusively. There are about a dozen teens (along with a few older women). The Colloquium would be a fantastic jumping off point. I would recruit now and just begin with whoever wants to join. We started with two teenagers and a grandmother. Teach them what you can before the Colloquium and it will be a most rewarding experience for them.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I'll put forth an effort to mince any oaths I may make at St. Louis this year, so as not to offend young ears.
  • kevinfkevinf
    My girls,from third grade to 7th grade sing the Gregorian notation with ease. Truthfully, they would sing that over anything these days, which is some of the source of conflict as to why I am leaving. The girls prefer the Gregorian notation. So, yes, it is possible and a fabulous experience. Do go for it.
  • Teens (and younger) are often wonderful at chant.
    In our chorister program we have 10- 18 year olds singing propers. Some of them are "super teens", who solfege like gangbusters and can lead during rehearsals and processions.
  • Yes! I brought my Dominic when he was four months old to Pittsburgh. And yes, G and lots of folks were most helpful.
    Wilko even let me conduct with Dom in a baby bjorn. :)

It was wonderful...