Scottish Chant Gloria
  • kevinfkevinf
    In the 1982 hymnal at S-204 there is a Scottish chant Gloria. Does anyone know of if it has been re-texted using the MR3 translation?

Thanks in advance.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here you are, hot off the press. If you catch any mistakes, let me know.
    Thanked by 1kevinf
  • fcbfcb
    Does anyone know the origin of this chant? How old is "old"?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's at least 250 years old, as it appeared in Chants or Tunes for Particular Hymns, 1763?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I should add that I adapted the harmonization as given in The Hymnal 1982. There are differences with some earlier editions that appear in older hymnals. I'll soon post a distillation of these older versions in another edition.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Wow, thank you. I have a priest friend who wants to use it on weekdays when a Gloria is needed. He will be so happy. Thank you Charles. A true blessing.
  • This is not just Anglican! It is soooo 'piscopal!
    (But I do like it.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Presbyterians might take issue with you, MJO! My Scottish grandmother's hymnal has the same harmonization, with a couple of slight voice leading tweaks and a different Amen. My pointing however is in a contrasting style:
  • This was the version I did "back when I was a kid" in 2012. I rather like the pointing myself, but some might feel differently. Sorry about the somewhat amateurish directions; they were for a rather ignorant choir back in a different age.
  • If someone one would youtube one of these it would catch on...
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I prefer JIF's since it is drawn from the H-1940 version rather than the H-1982.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    FWIW, except for the final phrase and concluding "Amen", as well as for the cutting of note values by half, the 1982 harmonization of the (old) Gloria is identical to the 1940 harmonization. I had doubts about the concluding "Amen" and plan to change it. I don't care for JIF's putting notes in for every syllable, as this tends to stultify the speech rhythm that Anglican chant should have.
    Yes, the H-82 is the same, except for the "Amen". That's the particular reason I don't like the newer version. And I also agree that is should be written as an Anglican Chant formula rather than through composed.

As commented in another post about Anglican Chant, it is a fairly simple system, maybe even more straight forward than Gregorian Chant formulae. Musician should study and understand all these formulae, IMHO.
  • CHGiffen, and all,

I don't care for my putting notes in for every syllable, either. :) I was working with a pretty non-bright choir, and also was a good deal younger and dumber myself. (Plus I wasn't sure how to set it on Sibelius, which I was new to using at the time...) Technology and I have never been in sync; just a few days ago I started my first Twitter account. I may be 34 going on 80.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I may be 34 going on 80.
    How I wish! I'm 75 going on ... and on and on and on.
    I just turned 65. I have a Nokia flip phone and I hate texting! I don't Tweet and I don't do "Aps". (I do wonder sometimes how I got hooked on FaceBook, though!)
  • This is a bump of an old thread. This young guy grew up a little. CHGiffen, it's not perfect, but it's better than my old notation. Scottish Gloria, Flaherty-style, 2.0:
  • fcbfcb
    I have an old hymnal from the early 1970s called The Catholic Liturgy Bookthat has the previous ICEL translation of the Creed set to this chant. I wonder if anyone anywhere ever used it.