"Very Good Condition" Small Pipe Organ in Wisconsin ($19k)
  • BenBen
    I have no personal connection to this, but I saw the listing online. Currently being sold by University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point.

LINK HERE

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Wahl is a good organ builder. A very good friend of mine here in Houston has a small house organ by him. It is a joy to hear and play, and has been well-maintained by the builder. This seems to me a very good price for the instrument pictured.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Is that a swell chest? In an instrument so small? Wow.

I played something about that size when my school inherited it in the estate of a friendly priest. Headmaster asked if it would support singing in the chapel --- to which I replied that we'd have to voice the chapel properly, and he saw to that.

I hope it goes to a good home, whether that's a small chapel or a large house.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Does anyone know its registration? I see what looks like 11 stops, but there is presumably some borrowing on an instrument of that size. It looks very interesting.
  • BenBen
    I sent them an email asking about ranks, registration, stoplist, and the potential swell, and will post results here. I really hope it goes to a good home!
  • Manual I: Rohrflote 8, Principal 4', Waldflote 2'

Manual II: Gedackt 8, Koppelflote 4', Quint 1 1/3'

Pedal: Subbass 16' (prepared), Bourdon 8'

Three couplers

6 pipes shared between the two manual 8' stops
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ben
  • BruceL
    It's not a swell. Notice no pedal. This would be a really nice instrument for someone and is probably a 1/4 of the price of a new residence organ.
  • Bruce,

I didn't look closely enough. On the other hand since pipes are enclosed within the doors..... could it be made to behave like a Swell?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It is not uncommon to have doors for an otherwise enclosed division that can be opened, either partially or fully, to provide for change in volume emanating from the enclosure. Look at the doors on the enclosed division in the photograph of the Taylor & Boody Opus 3, at Westiminster Presbyterian Church, in Charlottesville, VA.

• BruceL
    Doors were also to keep birds/etc., out. The T&B at St. Thomas Church, 5th Ave. shows these case doors well.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here's John Scott playing that marvelous Taylor & Boody (Op. 27) at St. Thomas Church:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y8mlNOftv0
  • BruceL
    The Hancocks were very proud of that instrument. It really is beautiful. Gerre's recording of Christmas improvisations shows it off to beautiful effect: he takes all the little peculiarities of it and turns them into "features", as he was so masterful at doing.

I'll raise you John Scott's protege, Fred Teardo, a dear friend and colleague of mine, on the same instrument! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRbj_ERIku0
  • CharlesW
    How well does it do with composers other than Bach? Just asking.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    BruceL, the Teardo gem of a rendition of the Bach Trio Sonata in C Major is another favorite of mine.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    For comparison: "Gerre Hancock plays the final hymn and improvised Organ Voluntary at the May 18, 2003 11am Festal Eucharist. The hymn is number 47 in The Hymnal 1982 (Episcopal); the middle stanzas are played on the Taylor & Boody gallery organ by Brian Harlow."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9M82-Rlc5g
  • BruceL
    The T&B is about as effective in leading hymn singing (in person) as the big organ up front on account of the location.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Got this info sheet from the auction staff today.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    There seem to be only 3 (not 4) Manual I stops. Nevertheless, this organ looks to be a great instrument, well worth the asking price of $19k. I wish it could find a home here in or near Hudson, Wisconsin.
  • I don't normally like to resurrect posts that are old but I came across this thread today in internet search results. I'm disappointed to see UWSP had listed/sold this instrument. I played it somewhat infrequently when I was a music (piano) student at Point in the mid 2000s. It was a very nice instrument with a good sound behind it. It was the only descent organ on campus, as the 14 rank Wicks in the recital hall is usually in usable but questionable shape, was not built for its space, and is rarely used.

This Wahl instrument got more regular servicing from its builder whose shop is about an hour away. It was used somewhat regularly for a series of informal lunchtime organ recitals by one of the piano professors (since retired) who also has organ credentials. I believe this was Wahl's Op. 2 and dates from 1976.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Wahl is a very fine builder indeed. A friend of mine has a small one in his home. I would recommend him to anyone planning a new instrument.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • We had a Wahl installed at the University of Oklahoma while I was a student there. I rather liked it (it was a "two manual" instrument with a third permanently coupled manual; pretty rare to find a 3m practice instrument in a university practice room!). The craftsmanship was superb although it was a little cantankerous as it settled.
  • The third 'couupler' manual, which plays in combination all of whatever is drawn on the other two was a standard feature of the small Visser-Rowland organs. Peter was a good friend of mine and built a number of these in the Houston area. He also built quite large instruments around the country, such as the one at UT, Austin. Beautiful voicing and craftsmanship. Peter is from Holland and worked for Wicks when he came here in the sixties.