Recommendation for ladies' organ shoes?
  • I've looked around a few sites but have no idea what's good/practical/horrible. I don't care for the ones I'm using currently, the heel isn't the right shape. (Men feel free to comment since you're probably in the majority of organists here...)
  • CharlesW
    I have bought Organmasters for years, but don't find the current ones to be the quality of the older ones. There is another company called, tic tac toes, I believe, or something similar. A lady organist in town likes those better.
  • canadashcanadash
    If you don't have a tiny foot, you could consider a man's shoe. You just have to size down two numbers. For example if you are a woman's 8, you would take a man's 6.
  • CharlesW
    Then there are those like Diane Bish wears...LOL
  • I usually play without shoes, wearing an extra pair of woollen socks I only use for organ playing over my regular ones. IIRC I once read that it is actually closer to shoes of Bach's time than normal organ shoes of our days.
  • The important thing is that organ shoes are snug, giving one precision of movement. Loosely fitting shoes make for unsure and wobbly pedalling. Because Organmasters do not provide shoes for those of us who require an actual 'A' width, I wear a pair of monk strap shoes with built-up heels that date back to the late sixties. You could use any shoe that has a not-too-thick sole and heels the height you require, and that fits firmly from being laced or buckled up.
  • The Tic-tac-toe shoes are available with higher heels. After a few days of getting used to them, I really prefer the higher heel. I suggest you give them a try.
  • Eons ago I used a pair of shoes from a company called Capezio -- they were dance shoes, if I recall correctly.
  • Awesome thanks everyone! I think a higher heel would be helpful. The bench is, unfortunately, not adjustable and I have to either sit right on the edge and feel like I'm smashed against the manuals or sit back and feel like I can't reach the pedals. Being 5'0" really sucks sometimes LOL! I wear a ladies size 7 shoe, pretty average.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Many of my French organist friends use of all things.....low cut tennis shoes. I know...its bizarre. But if you go to several Parisian churches, that is what you will see them wearing.
    Oh...and loud coloured socks.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    A very skilled new graduate who has just moved to town plays in what I would call "boat shoes." They slip on and have a flat rubber bottom. He's a wonderful player, and they don't seem to hurt him. I play in regular men's Organmasters.
  • @Protasius: My teacher doesn't wear shoes, and I often don't wear them while practicing...still undecided which is better.
  • I recently purchased a new pair of organmasters (my first pair being 15 years old or so) and I don't like them nearly as well as my original pair.
  • CharlesW
    I recently purchased a new pair of organmasters (my first pair being 15 years old or so) and I don't like them nearly as well as my original pair.

Same here. They have gone to a unisex oxford that I don't like as well as the original men's shoes. Also, the sizing was a bit off on my last pair so they must not be using the original shoe lasts. My guess is they have farmed manufacturing out to some Chinese factory and the quality has suffered. I am buying tic-tac-toes next time. They are made in the USA on American lasts.
  • I bought my first pair from https://www.tictactoes.com/dance/organist_choose.htm and am very happy with them... you can get gold shiny ones if you want :)
  • Lol, simple black is fine for me! If my teacher wore organ shoes she'd probably get the gold ones, she's a very flashy lady lol!
  • francis
    I am going to put LED lights all along the bottom of mine... comes in handy for candlemas and the Easter Vigil when you are walking around the church n stuff. For a small fee I will hand paint your shoes... composer bust, organ maker signatures, etc. and, btw, where does cameron get those funky shoes? reminds me of the platforms we used to wear back in the 70s.
  • CharlesW
    I am going to put LED lights all along the bottom of mine... comes in handy for candlemas and the Easter Vigil when you are walking around the church n stuff. For a small fee I will hand paint your shoes... composer bust, organ maker signatures, etc. and, btw, where does cameron get those funky shoes? reminds me of the platforms we used to wear back in the 70s.

Virgil Fox lives! LOL
  • eft94530eft94530
    where does cameron get those funky shoes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XECkSZvvxQc
    Thanked by 1francis
  • The woman organists I know generally use tap shoes without the taps.
  • francis
    the men organists I know use the taps without the shoes... jk