Resource for Extraordinary Form Baptism?
  • marajoymarajoy
    Does anyone have, or can direct me to, a resource which clearly lays out the text and rubrics of an EF infant baptism, with the rubrics in English, a very clear labeling of what CAN be said in English, and an English translation for everything else that must be said in Latin?
    (Preferably something already online or email, not a book that has to be purchased.) Thanks in advance!
  • Here is a booklet that I prepared for my own daughter's baptism. The baptism was beautiful, but make sure you have everything you need before you begin, so that you don't have to run to the sacristy for things such as an infant stole, a candle, or, say, the shell/water-pourer thingy.

There is a booklet version and a single-page version.
  • I used as my source a file that my parochial vicar at the time gave me, and then I think I may have supplemented from SanctaMissa.org. Let me know if there are any issues with posting this online because of that.
  • MatthewRoth
    I know you asked for free, but Angelus Press puts out a really nice booklet that has the rubrics, text, etc. If a few are purchased, they can also be used as the booklet for anyone who comes. You might be able to find the Rituale Romanum online; I know Cantius put the 1964 edition online (the problem with it is that it no longer tells you clearly what may be done in the vernacular and what must be in Latin). There are a few websites with questionable leanings that have older versions in PDF form, but they would be the version allowed under Summorum, though you need the English rubrics for those whose Latin is not quite up to scratch.
  • tomjaw
    My understanding is that now everything can be said in English as long as it is to an approved translation!

1. Originally everything was said in Latin.
    2. Later English translations were approved for certain parts, the exorcisms had to still be in Latin.
    3. Later full English Translations were provided c. 1962, as found in the English (U.K.) edition of the Rituale.
    4. Some Hand Missals have translations of the Latin text that were not approved for liturgical use e.g. St. Andrew Daily Missal.

N.B. Several approved English translations can be found, I have the full translations approved for England and Wales but not the U.S. version that I believe used a different translation.

https://societyofstbede.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/baptism-booklet/
  • MatthewRoth
    No, that isn’t the case. Seems the one thing 1962-ville online can agree on is that the exorcisms and the form are in Latin.

It’a a real pain because most people can find only the Collectio Rituum of 1964, whereas the authorized 1962 version is basically impossible to find.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • tomjaw
    Things are always interesting when looking at 1962ish books...
    Sitting beside me is a original copy of "Excerpta E Rituali Romano, Pro dioecesibus Angliae, Burns and Oates" and this has the Rite of Baptism etc. it has the Latin and the English in a two column format, but for the exorcisms it only gives the Latin. So what you write above appears to be correct...
    But another book published in 1962, "The Manual of Catholic Prayer, Burns and Oates" firstly claims to be a replacement of the Rituale, mentions that there are 3 English translations of the Prayers of the Rituale... Interestingly the translation in this book is different to the above mentioned Rituale. But this book has a full translation of the complete Rite of Baptism... I have seen this book in a number of priests hands while conducting Baptisms... I am not entirely clear that this is an approved translation but more than a few priests assume so (changes after 1955 1962 do not really interest me), but I still understand that the EF prayers can NOW be said in the approved translation.

N.B. Different arrangements could apply outside England and Wales.
    Burns and Oates claim to be "Publishers to the Holy See"
  • My understanding is that the 1964 Collectio Rituum is allowed due to its availability compared to the older version. I remember reading that the USCCB gave permission for it.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    I presume the 1964 Collectio Rituum gave full English translations, I wonder if they are the same as the 1962 Manual of Catholic Prayer?
  • MatthewRoth
    No, a bishop advised its usage, but he had no authority to authorize it. That would have to come from the PCED.

I mean, one could licitly use a 1964 book but follow the 1962 rubrics. That’s easy enough for marriage and baptism, as it’s well recorded what needs to be in Latin. Confirmation would be trickier, though most often it would be in the Pontificale Romanum anyways. The problem would be in the blessings.

tomjaw: The first book you listed is the equivalent to the Collectio Romanum authorized for England & Wales.

Books like the CR and pre-Pian forms of the breviary (at least pre-1954...) are really two of the biggest tasks for traditional Catholic publishers that would see widespread application. The ceremonial manual used by the ICRSS also needs reprinting, but they also are translating it apparently out of French into English.
  • marajoymarajoy
    Matthewj- do you happen to know from where is the English translation used in your document, and how did whoever made that document determine exactly which parts that they noted had to be in Latin?
  • rarty
    Based on Fortescue/Reid, I think the 1961 Collection Rituum for the USA is the last word for "EF" baptisms in English (in the USA). I've never seen that edition, but most/all of it is in the New Sanctuary Manual that is still in print.

Unfortunately I don't know of any online copies of these, as I'm sure most priests would be a little wary using a text without seeing it in a book/copy.