In Dulci Jubilo - entirely in Latin, Bach arrangement
  • Hugh
    A George Litzel has de-macaronized In Dulci Jubilo by rendering the whole thing in Latin. I've set it in Sibelius to one of Bach's versions.

http://www.empire.net/~bholt/latin_carols.txt

So, for Extraordinary Rite choirs, good news: we can at last sing this glorious carol during mass !! I've altered a couple of Litzel's words, but it's substantially the same.

Please hoping he doesn't sue - I've no idea who he is, but many thanks, George.

We tried it out at Midnight Mass on Friday/Saturday. Wonderful !!

I'm intending to underlay the equally splendid Robert de L. Pearsall arrangement with this text by next Christmas. Anyone else is free to do the same, of course ...

Corrections/ advice will be welcome.
  • Hugh
    In case the attachment failed:
  • Heath
    Is there really that parallel octave in the final cadence in the original version?
  • I'm so happy to find this. Thanks for posting. Need a Latin rendition for the Extraordinary Rite this Christmas.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    A. This harmonization is NOT due to Bach, but to Bartholomew Gesius (1601). It is often misrepresented as being by Bach when followed by a Bach setting of the final stanza.

Is there really that parallel octave in the final cadence in the original version?

B. The parallel octave (between the soprano and tenor) in the penultimate measure is not in the original Gesius, which uses an alternate (and often heard) melodic formula on "Alpha es et O" that avoids the parallel octave. The correct Gesius setting is attached.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl sdtalley3
  • Thanks for the updated score with corrections. I appreciate hearing from you.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    @CHGiffen, is there any reason that the Latin text in Hugh's attachment could not be placed in the Gesius?

I'm surprised there aren't more options for Latin-only settings, and this setting is so lovely.