Antiphon for opening of Holy Door
  • matthewjmatthewj

For my fellow Cathedral Music Directors and those who work in a parish where your Bishop has created a Holy Door for the Jubilee Year:

Adam Bartlett was kind enough to write some music for the antiphon that is supposed to be sung while the Bishop holds the Book of Gospels and the door is opened before the Introit:
    http://apps.illuminarepublications.com/downloads/misc/rite-of-the-opening-of-the-door-of-mercy-in-local-churches.pdf

Thanked by 1BruceL
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would also be very interested to see anyone else's musical selections for the opening of the Holy Door.
  • BruceL
    I would also be very interested to see anyone else's musical selections for the opening of the Holy Door.
    I was thinking something more along the lines of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCXUFImZYE
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Mark Husey
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I don't even know what that is.
  • BruceL
    You're living a charmed life, then!
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Yay! Saves me time to come up with something.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Ok, I finally put this thing together today... if any of you are near Phoenix and want to sing, let me know.

Rite of the Opening of the Door of Mercy in Local Churches

Before the Procession to the Cathedral -
    Year of Mercy Hymn, Inwood

The Procession to the Cathedral -
    The Litany of the Saints
    Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy (Mode I)
    The Lord is good to all, compassionate to every creature (Mode VII)

At the Door –
    Antiphon (Mode VIII, Bartlett)

Procession –
    Hymn: Rejoice the Lord is King DARWALL'S 148TH
    Antiphon (LCM)

Remembrance of Baptism and Renewal of Vows -
    Asperges Me, J. Gruber

Responsorial Psalm, LCM
    Alleluia, GS/Weber

Offertory –
    Chant, LCM
    Hymn: On Jordan’s Bank the Baptist’s Cry WINCHESTER NEW
    Alma Redemptoris Mater, Palestrina

Sanctus XVIII
    Agnus Dei from Missa Brevis in D Minor, A Lotti

Communion –
    Chant, LCM
    Motet: E’en So, Lord Jesus, Quickly Come, P. Manz
    Motet: Ave Verum, C. Mawby

Invoking of Mary – Salve Regina, Mode V
    Recessional Hymn – O God Beyond All Praising THAXTED
  • MatthewRoth
    I know these things aren't of strict obligation but it's a bit weird they are doing the Salve Regina and not the Alma Redemptoris Mater.
  • Did Adam Bartlett write an accompaniment to that Antiphon for Sunday? Or is it just the chant line? Just wondering. Going to the webpage tomorrow to see if it is there.....Thanks all. I'm talking to my pastor about it tomorrow because we have been approved to have a Holy Door at our parish!
  • matthewjmatthewj

I know these things aren't of strict obligation but it's a bit weird they are doing the Salve Regina and not the Alma Redemptoris Mater.

The rubrics for the ritual (at least the English and/or American version) give two options for the pre-dismissal chant to the Blessed Virgin Mary: the Alma Redemptoris Mater or the Salve Regina.

I can't speak to the Vatican's choice, but we chose the Salve Regina since we're singing a polyphonic rendering of the Alma earlier in the Mass.
  • matthewjmatthewj

Did Adam Bartlett write an accompaniment to that Antiphon for Sunday? Or is it just the chant line? Just wondering. Going to the webpage tomorrow to see if it is there.....Thanks all. I'm talking to my pastor about it tomorrow because we have been approved to have a Holy Door at our parish!

Since the chant is supposed to be sung outside of your church and the chant is only sung as a one-time thing this year, I'm guessing he thought writing an accompaniment would not be the most appropriate way to use his time.
    Thanked by 1ValerieOestry
  • Well, once again I missed the boat on the chants. But here's what we're doing Sunday. The sprinkling rite replaces the penitential act, but what could be more appropriate for a Jubilee of Mercy than a grand choral Kyrie? Anyhow. Here 'tis.