Gregorian Chant Schola Concert?
  • miacoyne
    Our schola was asked to give a concert at a monthly concert series of a nearby parish. I was a bit hesistant about doing the 'concert,' because I believe chants loose their meaning outside the litrugy, but I thought it's a good chance to help people familiar with Gregorian chants where they will not hear them otherwise. I will have lots of familiar chants (and some not so familiar ones too) and have children's schola sing some parts too. I'm also planning to explain shortly about the 'Ordinary parts' of the mass and have them sing with us toward the end. I'm not sure this is an appropriate thing to do, and as one of my schola suggested, whether there is a better word we can use than 'Concert.' (I'm making a flyer.) I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks
  • Miacoyne,
    When we offered our Christmastide Concert I invited our local "garage" schola to participate for the first time. They, too, had some hesitation simply over the notion of concertizing in the sanctuary. It occured to me immediately to propose that their participation in the event could (and did) serve within the framework of a "sung prayer service." Their director concurred, developed their own order, and it was all beautiful. Of course, their singing three seasonal Introits does not a concert make. So, if you're the centerpiece of a whole concert event, issues such as singing Ordinary movements, Proper chants or chanted hymns would require some deft planning.
    I remember hearing Shaefer's Gonzaga Schola at a national ACDA convention's "Sacred Concert" in LA at the then new cathedral. Their portion was the only one wherein a sense of "sacred music" touched my soul. But, again, it was not the centerpiece, but part of a pastische.
  • mjballoumjballou
    We're looking at coordinating a concert with an organist for my schola - chants and organ pieces that are related/inspired/whatever. For inexperienced listeners, that breaks what their ears may perceive as monotony. It also frees us from worrying about worship vs. concert. And it also gives a structure to the programming. Look at walking through chants for various seasons, saints, etc.

As the good Charles says, deftness is required. But think how many ears (and hearts, I hope) you may open to this music.
  • As with the parishioners at Mass, I think it would be a great help to the people attending to be able to see the words and translations in print. When they see how lovely the text is, it will help them understand the beauty of it... if you have some historical tidbits to add to engage them (like the history of a particular piece, who wrote it... how old it is... when it was typically sung, etc.) that would even add more to it, I think. I had a bit of extra room on one of my Holy Week programs, so I put a shortened version of the Te Deum (with English translation) and also a short excerpt from Catholic Culture about it as well.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks you all for great suggestions and encouragements. I seperated Marian hymns and some other hymns, then toward the end, 'Parts of the Mass," where, for 'Ordinary parts,' we will have children in the front to lead and the adult schola in the pews (just Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus Dei)to encourage the 'audience' to sing with us, and one 'Proper' just for the schola. Then, we will have our final, our favorite 'Christus Vicit." where children too can join adult schola in repeated parts. I try to vary different groups men, women, childdren in different combinations in the program, for more variety, and so the each group has some break in between their singing. I'll be handing out program notes for all the texts, traslations and historical notes that I found, such as Ubi caritas (chant originated in France, cannot find English translation in CPDL though.) I'll also have a child explain briefly each Ordinary part before we sing.
    This is the first time, so we will see how it goes. I guess I just have to use the word "Concert" (unwillingly) in my flyer which I'm planning to post in many different parishes.
  • Jan
    Think about changing your focus from a 'concert' to a prayful event. It's easy. For example, Gregorian Chant through the 4 liturgical seasons. You could choose
    the 4 Marian Hymns as the framework & supplement with chants of each season. Have someone simply read the text of each chant as a prayer before you
    sing. Or a reading from scripture. This is a wonderful way of keeping a spiritual focus.

Just an idea. Good luck.
  • miacoyne
    Good idea! I was thinking something like "sung prayer service,' as Charles, mentioned. And I try to think how I could do that in our situation. Reading the text and/or Scripture is a great idea. Thanks, Jan.
  • chonakchonak
    It would be quite nice to present chant and polyphonic settings of the same texts.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks chonak. It would be lovely. It would be our next year project. (We just started a polyphony. It was kind of funny to see the look of my beginner musicians when they saw the modern notation, "oh no! they are not neums!" and realize that they have to follow different lines of the music. Many of them don't have an experience of singing in a choir. But I noticed that they developed a good habit of listening to each other through singing chants, so even if I do a ritardando or pause slightly before the beginning of some phrases, they follow very well. Chants is really a good music to develop a good musicianship. That's how the Western music got started anyway.)
  • miacoyne
    Our schola will have our 'Performance' next week. Last night, we had a brief, healthy discussion on whether we should address to audience to hold the 'applause' till the end, or don't even have applause at all. This really helped us to think about our singing chants in general.
    One of my schola member sent me a beautiful email in this regard. I wanted to share his thoughts here. He hasn't sung chants for a long time, but he really understands and appreciates the beauty of the chants. I'm so proud to say that I'm learning from my schola members now.

"I have thought alot about the situation of the concert.

For me it is a performance in the sense that the fellow faithful will receive it as something new and revitalizing. If we are dusting something off, we are presenting it anew. In this sense it is a performance, a presentation: submitted for helping reawakening. Just as the Church has applauded the Solesmes monastery and its experts for reviving chant and codifying the treasury of it, so should anyone be recognized for the mission of re-evangelization through the chant. "The laborer is due her reward" in this regard.

This role however is always historically temporary. So if applause is merited it is necessarily short-lived and even limited, because the "dusting off" soon becomes complete and now we enter into the actual life of the chant itself, which is pure prayer.

On the other hand, chant achieves something perfect which is the mystical union of prayer and musical sound; God and soul, they become indistinguishable from one another. It is a bit like the St Francis quote: "Humility is a quality that if a man knows it not, he possesses it not. If he possesses it, he knows it not." You cannot really be an observer outside it to even suggest the idea of performance. What [N] said last night therefore struck me too as true. (on his comment 'why do we get an applause for praying?) But the chant in our time is wrapped in multiple contexts.

In the end, the key is audience preparation with artfully chosen description of what is taking place, acknowledging the above and yet still other aspects. The Chant challenges and transcends the very ideas of concert, audience, performance: because it always seeks union: all his people and God with his people. The chant is ideally unitive, there is no schola and audience, there is only God.

Pope Benedict touches on these things toward the end of Spirit of the Liturgy; he acknowledges that certain uncomeliness can occur where the focus is no longer God, but human egos. But he also openly recognizes the hardwork of persons who make such gifts of beauty possible to the church. It has to be a balance of some kind: we are happily lost in the body of Christ and yet we are unique persons too. Maybe this is what the response (the development) of polyphony means to the chant? The reality of parts and whole; unity and diversity, all as God intends.

it all goes on... : )

may the Holy Spirit guide us all Amen."
  • miacoyne
    I wanted to report that our chant schola performance went very well. About 25 to 30 children (I stopped coundting awhile ago.) and 15 adult. Our grand finale was "Christus Vincit' which vibrated the whole neigbourhood yesterday. (The church is in a very poor neighbourhood.) Of couse it wan't a perfect professional performance, but we were able to sing to glorify God and share the most beautiful music of our Church with others, and everyone sang from the bottom of their hearts.
    Thank you for all the advices and encouragements. This forum has been the source of my courage and knowledge.

I had to post one email from our schola member. Very beautiful.

"Dear Mia,

We have you to thank. Who has been most dedicated, most enthusiastic, most committed, most tireless of all?

Who would have guessed in advance these things come to pass? I am humbled in awe today by the convergence of facts: almost 9-months to the day that our wedded schola began its paces under your true leadership (june 24th 08) until this appearance yesterday bringing forth the fruits of a fervent 'pregnancy'. Where? at St Benedict's church run by Benedictine monks. When? the day after this great saint's feast day! Hosted by whom? a venerable monk who sang with us from the pew many of the chants presented. Who is scripting all this stuff?? ; )

Most blessed of all was the gift of the children. Gregorian chant is the hoped for slice of heaven on earth; but when children sing as they did, it is heaven on earth.
    When sound is made, it never dies, the echoes go on indefinitely. Making this intention of musical prayer starts the ringing of holiness onto the earth. Seeds of cleanness scattering into the din of rampant impurity in our time.

I am not worthy...
    All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you. Amen.

blessing & joy
  • What a wonderful thing... I look forward to hearing more this summer at the Colloquium... J.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, Janet. I'm very much looking forward to it.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Mia, congratulations! I love "Christus Vincit"--would have loved to hear it.

Mary
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, Mary. I had the children sang all the repeated parts and the last phrase with adults. (also added organum with Bass, learned it at the Chants Intensive last year) I think we sped up a little more than I wanted. But they loved it, and it sounded very strong. I will see whether someone has video taped it. (Not that I know how to attach here. I don't think parents would like the Youtube idea.)