Ave Maria (Charles H. Giffen), SATB + rehearsal accompaniment
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Because of a request, here is a score with keyboard reduction of my 4-part Ave Maria (SATB a cappella). This is a rather easy work to learn and has some nice short sections for 2-part voices. Although the work is somewhat modal (Mode II) in A minor, it ends on the dominant E-major, a not uncommon practice in Renaissance music. An MP3 sound realization is also attached. The original was posted here some 4 years ago shortly after its composition.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I haven't seen this before; it's just beautiful and so well-crafted. Thanks so much for sharing it! One question about the alto line on measure 39: What would you suggest for an alto (more like a mezzo) like myself who is a bit shaky on the F below middle C?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    One question about the alto line on measure 39: What would you suggest for an alto (more like a mezzo) like myself who is a bit shaky on the F below middle C?

I think I would sing an A (up a major third from the F), as it won't clash with the TB entrance on the second beat. But, since the soprano cadence there is F above middle C, a very weak (or even no) sound on the low F in the alto would be acceptable, perhaps even preferable, too.

Thanks for your kind words, Julie.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    "No sound" is what happens when I try to sing an F3 so that would work perfectly. : )

Thanks!

P.S. I really admire the artful cadences in your piece. How do you determine what endings you're going to use?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Quite nice!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks!!
  • MatthewRoth
    I listened to the MP3. I’ll pass it on to some of my friends so we can sing it! They'll find a place for it. I really like it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen