Another hymn to St/ Michael
  • "Michael, Prince of All the Angels", hymn by William Marsh, #164 in "The New St. Basil Hymnal - can anyone share the accompaniment? Our only copy of said hymnal is melody line only. Thanks much. (Needed ASAP - Pastor wants to use it this year on the 29th!)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I'm looking for my St. Basil Hymnal now but can't seem to find it. If I do, I'll be happy to scan #164 and send it.

By the way, there's a verse in honor of St. Michael in Christ, the Fair Glory of the Holy Angels (COELITES PLAUDANT) which may be found here on hymnary.org. Great recording here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhMX0P4LxeQ

2 Send thine archangel Michael to our succour;
    peacemaker blessed, may he banish from us
    striving and hatred, so that for the peaceful
    all things may prosper.
  • Yes. This is the Office hymn for the Feast of the Dedication of the Basilica of St. Michael. It's #123 in "The Hymnal 1940", but the first tune is the chant office tune. We will be singing that at Communion of a Solemn High Mass in the original Latin. (see attached)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I can't find any recording of the the hymn-tune "Christe Sanctorum". "Coelites Plaudant" is a 17th century 'modernization' of the original. I definitely prefer the original, in either English or Latin.
  • davido
    Here is the scan from the New St. Basil Hymnal
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thank you, Davido! Here it is, back to you, et al, in Finale! And transposed down to D.