Choral Propers in the Novus Ordo
  • hartleymartin
    From the list of Motets composed by Palestrina, almost every text from the Graduale Romanum has a polyphonic setting - many of them in 5 or 6 voices.

I don't think that it is necessary that the offertory motet be the text of the offertory antiphon. After all, you could always just chant the offertory antiphon.

Of course, if you can have a motet which matches the offertory antiphon, then it's great! I know that many places do Franz Xaver Witt's "Ad Te Levavi" on the first Sunday of Advent, and one of the many settings of "Ave Maria" on the 4th Sunday of Advent because those are the proper texts.

After that, look at texts which are thematically similar, or somehow related to the gospel reading. One year we did Duarte Lobo's "Pater Peccavi" because the gospel reading was of the prodigal son.

Just remember that in the Ordinary Form liturgy we have the option of "et alius cantus aptus" (or another appropriate chant) which allows us some discretion. For example, we once did "Ecce Virgo Concipiet" for the offertory on the 4th Sunday of Advent, even though it is actually the Communio text.
  • I'm with Salieri on this. As much as I think choral propers are commendable I just don't think it's practical. In all honesty, I also do not want to be limited in my choral repertoire to the propers and nothing else. There are great English choral pieces that would never be heard then. Don't get me wrong though, I do not advocate for replacing the propers. At our Solemn Mass (which is the choral Mass on weekends) we do the gregorian propers in addition to choral anthems/motets. With incensing during offertory there is usually enough time to do both an anthem/motet AND the offertory proper. At Masses with cantor only the cantor usually does english versions of the propers (such as Kelly's or SEP).
  • Hartley writes: '...we have the option of "et alius cantus aptus"...'

It's good to keep in mind that this permission really must have been meant for people like 'us' and not for people like 'them'.

And, Tournemire is spot on! It would be a shame for Howells and Weelkes, et al., never to be heard.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's good to keep in mind that this permission really must have been meant for people like 'us' and not for people like 'them'.

I assume this is true for all liturgical liberties.
  • mahrt
    A resource for finding settings of a particular text is the New Grove Dictionary online, "advanced search: works." It searches the works lists from all its articles, more of which are in Latin. You need access, but many libraries have it.
  • doneill
    The New Grove is a great suggestion. To that I would add WorldCat, which searches the holdings of nearly all university libraries. I have had some success with that in finding motets that are only published in complete works.
  • rogue63
    (deleted post)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen