Liturgical Music Questionnaire: Please Leave Your Vote!
  • francis
    This is a generalization, but:

Would you regularly like to attend:

1. The TLM (with Gregorian Chant & polyphony, and an occasional hymn)
    2. The NO (with Gregorian Chant & polyphony, and an occasional hymn)
    3. The NO (Gregorian Chant & hymns)
    4. The NO (hymns only)
    5. A Contemporary (guitar based group) Feast of Praise & Worship
  • melofluentmelofluent
  • Spriggo
  • SalieriSalieri

(Given the options presented. I would like a regular hymn, at processional and recessional.)
    Thanked by 1CCooze
    2., if 1. Is unavailable.
  • stulte
    1, but there was no option for the TLM with just Gregorian Chant.
  • Caleferink
    Can I say 1, 2, or 3?
    Thanked by 2francis Chris Allen
  • Liam
    2A; with hymns as part of the regular mix but not necessarily at every Mass, ditto other forms of using the Gradual chants and the chants based on the Missal antiphons. In other words, where the congregation doesn't find any of the legitimate options strange or rarefied.
  • donr
  • matthewjmatthewj
    2 - which is where I happen to work presently.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • doneill
    2 - with a hymn consistently as post-communion, but no other place.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
  • nun_34nun_34
  • Haven't been to an Ordinary Form Mass since May. I guess that makes me a #1.
  • Reval
    2 if well done. 3 would be a second choice.
  • francis
    I presently live in 2 and 3, but often try to go to 1 when possible. For last two months went to a 5 cause that is all that was available.
  • Francis,

You had suffering you needed to offer to Our Lord?
  • francis
    We live in the wild, wild west, (mission territory). Dr. K and WCC is our only bastion of sanity along with a very sparse sprinkling of other more solid liturgies far and few between for many many many miles.
  • johnmann
    2, if done ad oreintem predominately in Latin. 1, otherwise.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • canadashcanadash
    I presently live in 2 and 3, but often try to go to 1 when possible. For last two months went to a 5 cause that is all that was available.

I could have written this exactly.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    1 - though I, too, would be ok with just Gregorian chant; hymns or no.

Of course, I'd probably rather go to 1 without music at all, than almost any NO.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    As one whose home parish is essentially a 5, I'd welcome anything further up the list, but I would prefer 1 or 2, most definitely.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    2, ad orientem, almost entirely in Latin. Basically TLM, but NO.
  • More or less in that order, though 1 is rarely an option, and only when I travel. My home parish is somewhere between 2 and 3, and I'm happy with that.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    2 or 3
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    6. Lutheran Vespers with Bach Cantata and Lassus Mag.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • francis
    Oops, sorry Richard... Forgot to add
    6. Concert
  • johnmann
    No TLM with guitar option?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    TLM with guitar option
    Wouldn't that be a zero?
    Thanked by 1Chris Allen
  • BenBen
    1 by a long shot. 2, 3 if needed.
  • 7. Greek Catholic Divine Liturgy with Prostopenije
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Jani
    8. Thank God I have something to attend. But, 2.
  • eft94530eft94530
    with the priests standing on our side of the altar.

Why? Selfishly, so that I can still have a job.
    And so that Johnny C is less likely to be channelled.
  • ViolaViola
    1 not available in this area.
  • 1 - Also prefer high church Anglo-Catholic 1928 Altar Missal mass with men and boys choir only in a monastic collegial decani-cantori divided choir stall setting with enormous amounts of incense.
  • SalieriSalieri
    FYI - the original question is not based on the reality of what is actually available to you or what you actually do.

If the world were perfect and one of these options was what was available to you, which would you chose?

1. The TLM (with Gregorian Chant & polyphony, and an occasional hymn)
    2. The NO (with Gregorian Chant & polyphony, and an occasional hymn)
    3. The NO (Gregorian Chant & hymns)
    4. The NO (hymns only)
    5. A Contemporary (guitar based group) Feast of Praise & Worship
    Thanked by 2CCooze melofluent
  • SarahJ
  • melofluentmelofluent
    If the world were perfect and one of these options was what was available to you, which would you chose?

Thanks, Salieri. Which is why, contrary to what I actually do, my out of the gate was "1." Especially after having read Dobzay, Kocik and now the memoir of Fr. Louis Bouyer.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • CharlesW

As Hilary said, "What difference does it make?" This is all wishful thinking.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • rollingrj
    4. My current priest doen't allow me to sing any Gregorian Chants because "people didn't understand them" (wasn't sure if the meaning was the lack of a translation and/or why it was being done in the first place).
  • BGP
    1. Or eastern Divine Liturgy
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    As Hilary (sic) said, "What difference does it make?"

Mrs. Clinton's harsh dismissal was flagrant disrespect of the valiant efforts of the ambassador, his staff and the contract operatives to protect and serve the diplomatic corps that represents our nation, and was callous to boot.
    francis' survey may seem wistful or even whimsical to others elsewhere in St.Blogs. But OTOH, it also demonstrates what we "functionaries," like foot soldiers, are starting to recognize, namely we thought in '07 to '13 we had least a foothold towards redressing the popular conscience as to these matters of "like" or "prefer." And as we're constantly reminded here, most recently by Ian and Wendi, that our resolve does make a difference in that our jobs (our calling, our profession) can disappear just as fast with no reasonable explanation. CDubya, you're saint for staying, gratis, to serve your congregation and find worship in your rite elsewhere. For many of us, St. Elsewhere is 60 miles away and after four Masses. Oh yeah, it makes a difference.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Personally, 3 ideally with a range of instrumentation.

But I would like if 1, 2 and 5 were also available in the area for those other people who I know find them more spiritually enriching. Variety is not always about me.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • tomjaw
    1. With occasional chant hymn in Latin, This is what I have at least once a week.
  • JahazaJahaza
    No TLM with guitar option?

I've been to that! But then not every TLM has a lutinist and a baroque guitarist hanging around to accompany Gregor Aichinger's "Regina Cœli".

Nowadays my preferred liturgy is the Russian Rite Divine Liturgy of my Russian Orthodox Church in Union with Rome.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Scott_WScott_W
  •  
  • CharlesW
    CDubya, you're saint for staying, gratis, to serve your congregation and find worship in your rite elsewhere. For many of us, St. Elsewhere is 60 miles away and after four Masses. Oh yeah, it makes a difference.

No saint, never was, never will be. What I am getting at by saying what difference does it make, is that most musicians I know really don't have that much of a choice. They are told by their pastors, or worse a committee, what to do. I am in a unique situation, have a good pastor and associate, and have mastered the art of melofluent contrariness. Somehow, it all works. LOL.