Beginner Polyphony for the Catholic Middle School
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I am devising a way to create a Middle School Choir for the school I teach for. What are some good beginning, easy, polyphonic works that could be done by young choristers (ages 11-13)?
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    "Adoramus Te" & "O Bone Jesu" by Palestrina
    "Panis Angelicus" by Casciolini
    "Jesu Salvator Mundi" Menegali
    Pretty much anything by Lotti
    And the Secunda Anthologia Vocalis has quite a few easy SAB motets.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    How many parts? 2 or 3, and what ranges SA, ST, SSA , SAT? I'm guessing you don't have 4 part possibilities (no real baritones or basses).

• StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Frogman would be a good person to consult as well.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Kathy
    Start with kyries. Do a few classic kyries. Add an Agnus Dei from whatever Mass they do the best. Sing it at Mass a few times.

Add the Sanctus/ Benedictus. Learn those parts of 4 or 5 Masses and sing them at Mass .

Then they are ready for almost everything in the "normal" formulaic polyphony style.

You may not have time to venture into the boutique areas, but that sort of Roman mainstream sound is very accessible, once you get the knack.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Some Casals pieces are so engineered, namely "Nigra sum" and "Eucharisticus."
    Mozart's ubiquitous "Ave verum..." I believe to have been written for a girls' hospitale as were a number of Vivaldi works.
    Canons such as "Non nobis, Domine," Boyce's "Alleluia" and such are easily acquired.
    Also, our colleague, Heath Morber's new Eucharistic collection is chock full of multi-voiced English motets in a wealth of voicing options.
    Certain composer/arrangers such as Hal Hopson and Patrick Liebergen have done great adaptions of 2/3 part works by Monteverdi that are lovely.
  • chonakchonak
    At the colloquium, Scott Atwood provided a list of hymns and motets recommended for treble choirs.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • rogue63
    ClergetKubisz,

I sent you a message.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is my 2-part Adoramus te, Christe (We adore Thee, O Christ), recently revised and transposed up a whole tone, for SMz voices, in Latin (or English).
  • At the colloquium, Scott Atwood provided a list of hymns and motets recommended for treble choirs.

Great suggestions, Scott, thank you for this!

For those looking for more accessible versions of hymns for accompaniment:

Almost all of the 25 hymns in this list are in 3 Part Organ Hymn form and also in the Chorale Preludes of A Catholic Organist's Book of Hymns - The Liturgical Year book 1 and book 2 - 2 is being released next week.

In addition to the 3 Part version, some of the Chorale Preludes are suitable for accompanying singers as well for variety.

The subscription gives access to all 200+ hymns and matching chorale preludes plus now 201 Chorale Preludes of Mark Winchester that have just been added as well. Mark's are written for organ or, in those situations where an organ is not available, keyboard or piano.

In addition to the 3 Part version, some of the Chorale Preludes are suitable for accompanying singers as well for variety.