It used to be 3 chords, but contemporary music has grown!
  • http://www.chordstrike.com/2009/01/these-four-chords-are-all-you-need.html
  • That is one amazing and hilarious video
  • Beware... near the end some inappropriate language... I got surprised while listening and laughing with my little boy on my lap...
  • yes, that surprised me too, and it's why I didn't embed it!
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Apparently their harmonic vocabulary has improved, but not their linguistic vocabulary!
  • miacoyne
    Fortunately, I couldn't get to the inappropriate vocab. part. HOW CAN YOU STAND IT? I'm sorry, but I felt that they are mocking music and all the great musicians, or as my husband says, I don't have American sense of humor?
  • Kathy
    I play guitar with the Spanish folk group, and we play an Agnus Dei whose chords are Blue Moon. I mean, Wise Men Say. Or is it Heart and Soul?
  • I-vi-ii-V-I is to diatonic melodies as gravity is to matter in the universe, inescapable. (I know the 'Cordero' Kathy's referring to.)
    Now y'all have provoked "Heart and Soul" into my brain for the afternoon. Curses!
  • Kathy
    Cheers, Charles,

Maybe this will break the spell: D F# G A7. Folk guitar power chords!!

Or how about D D/C G/B A7?
  • Pes
    Dsus4 forever, man!
  • Pes
    Dm Dm/C BbMA7 A7+5 A7
  • Kathy
    Haha! Hey, Pes, what's up?

I actually like this one: D Dmaj7 D7 D7/F# G D. Primarily because I like to do the Jimi Hendrix wraparound for the F# bass.
  • Pes
    Hi Kathy!

Yes, I like the internal line there: D Db C C B... Chromatic descents are fun. Try DMA7 Db7+5 Gbm9/Db C13-9 Bm7 E9/B AMA7 and see where that leads ya.

OT

Just doing what I can, when I can, with what I've got. Working on ancient Tenebrae for Good Friday at the moment. It's the dark pit of the year, and very moving. (I'm chagrined at St. Augustine, though.)

The Inclina Domine CD is wonderful and just revivified my sense of advocacy.
  • Kathy
    Oh, that makes sense. That's why it's so nice to hit the F# going up to the G after the D7--it's the 5 of the B.

St. Augustine?
  • Pes
    His readings are too pointed in places against Jews, which distracts from the universality of Christ's atonement.
  • francis
    Wait! You all forgot the Pachelbel progression!

D A/C# Bm D/A G D/F# G A

I can hear The Piano Man singing now!
  • Pes
    Aagh!

As long as the chord names have no symbols or numbers other than 7, we'll be ok. All the strum patterns are the same, whew!
  • Kathy
    D#dim7

Francis, that's cool, about Billy Joel and Pachelbel.
  • Pes
    Heh.

K, you say D#dim7, I say Cdim7, let's call the whole thing off.
  • Kathy
    Heh. Heh.
  • marajoymarajoy
    ok...since someone brought up Pachelbel... you have got to watch this video if you haven't seen it already:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

I can hardly stop laughing every time I watch it...
  • miacoyne
    marajoy, it was hilarious! Thanks. He also mentioned toward the end that 'punk music is so boring becuase it's all same chords.' (something like that.)

Pachelbel canon got so popuar, my youth group director uses it as an intro to some sort of 'Pop style sacro music." I guess it's simple enough to use for whenever and whatever. I wonder what he((Pachelbel) think of all this.
  • francis
    I wasn't trying to dish the ole Pach... he has OTHER music which is great. In fact, when I do piano concerts I introduce his music like this...

You all know Pachelbels Canon in D right? (they all think I am ready to play it...) Well, this is NOT IT, but he wrote this one too! (I then play his Fantasia). http://myopus.com/fantasia.html

The other day I was playing a Chromatic Fugue by him and someone walked up to the organ, saw the music and said, "Gee, I didn't know Pachelbel composed anything that grandios for the organ!"

He did compose great music. His Canon is just his one popular (simple) piece.
  • rich_enough
    How can so many musicians be using that some chord progression?

Isn't it under copyright??

Sam Schmitt
  • chonakchonak
    ROTFL.
  • francis
    I do not think you can copyright a chord progression.
  • Kathy
    I don't see why not. Dibs on I vi ii V!
  • miacoyne
    francis, Pachelbel is a musical genius I think, he made such beautiful variations from a simple theme (and his variations are not that simple.) It's the modern 'others' who trash the theme. His theme is a sipmple chord prgression, that's why guitarists love it, I think, than the Mozart's 'Twinkle twinkle." I'd like to hear guitarists make original variations with sophisticated hamonies to this simple melody.
  • miacoyne
    There is an awesome 'modern' one, though. I think Pachelbel would have liked this (maybe). (Watch the cool technique and the key changes toward the end. Over 50 million viewrs, I think?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

(I won't do this again, because this is nothing to do with sacred music. I have a teen age boy, who is into 'neo-classic rock' (?), and chants might be refreshing to this teen. I was told he is Korean)

Actually, I found a remote reason why I posted this boy playing amazing guitar here. Those who really can play guitar, although it's in rock style, dodn't want to bother with P&W, or Christian rock. They say those music are too 'inferior.' (It's my translation of teen age talk. I don't want to say what they actually say here.) They also know that there's no point of doing their 'super show-off' kind of music in the church.