Weber Propers Book: Missing Pages?
  • cdruiz
    I received Father Weber's Propers book and have found it incredibly edifying. However, I wonder if my copy might be a "test" edition because Ignatius' marketing claims it is 1292 pages, yet my copy is less than 1000.

I noticed this last night when I started to prepare for a wedding that we will be chanting. The Introit on pg. 958 which is in Mode 3, directs the user to the psalm verses on pg. 997 (presumably also in the matching mode). Page 997 does not exist, and neither does the appropriate psalm verse compositions. The only nuptial introit psalm verses in the book are in mode 7.

I did find the appropriate psalm verse in Mode 3 on Father's site, but I am concerned that there might be a misprint. Does everyone else have the same issue?

P.S. The book's introduction also makes references to pages that number in the 1000s.
  • Kathy
    Another possibility is that the page numbers shifted after editing, and the changes were not made in the text.
  • dhalkjdhalkj
    My copy is the same as yours, with the same puzzling page reference. Which is repeated on the next page also. I note that the item numbers 2273 and 2274 are skipped over from one page to the next and the missing verses are presumably the same as 2269 and 2270, just in the proper tone.
  • francis
    hmmm... will check mine.
  • rich_enough
    Seems that there's a page missing after p. 957 which is meant to have the psalm verses from Psalm 127 in mode 3 on it (the missing nos. 2273 and 2274).

You can download the missing psalm verses here - click on the link for the "Nuptial Mass" about halfway down the page.
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • Unfortunate to hear this, it will likely be some time before a second, revised printing is possible. At the very least perhaps the publisher can print a separate appendix with errata to distribute until a second print run is possible. The Ignatius online store lists this as being 995 pages at the moment.

Is it possible those aren't page numbers over 1000 but perhaps the numbers for the pieces of music? I know many music books have both page numbers and a number for each selection.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    1292 - 995 = 297 page difference between the originally advertised length and the currently advertised length. And 1292 is nowhere near the more than 2200 musical items listed, so 1292 cannot be the number of pieces of music. Let's face it: Ignatius goofed on the numbers, and apparently also needs to issue list of errata/corrigenda together with their resolution/correction.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    Has anyone here notified Ignatius? I am planning to order some copies for the Colloquium book sale and can notify them when I order, but if it is already accomplished, no need for me to mention it...
  • cdruiz
    I notified them, and they contacted Father Weber, but the response suggests that for now they will simply fix the references to the number of pages. Any reference to the missing Mode psalm verses were ignored.
    hmmm I have made a page to insert into my own copy. I wonder if I should make extras for those who buy copies at the Colloquium...
  • cdruiz

That sounds like a very charitable thing to do, Janet. I wish Ignatius at least made it available as a pdf file on their website for those who do not even know about this forum.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    If you (or anyone) wants to post a list of errata here, that would be handy. Plain text would be better than a PDF, even, since we'll no doubt want to add to the list over time.
    OK... I made a pdf of the missing verses (2 per 8.5 x 11 sheet). I'm going to bring these along for all who buy this book at the Colloquium. If you want to download and print for yourself (and a friend) here it is:
    http://musicasacra.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Weber-Missing-pp-Nptial-a.pdf
    Thanked by 1JonLaird
  • Yes, unfortunately there are a number of errata in this book, as it was slimmed down from an original larger volume to a slenderer one, but not all the numbers got corrected. This was after hundreds of adjustments had already been made, so it wasn't by any means a "rush job." I know as a proof-reader how complex books like this one have a magical way of frustrating efforts at perfection! Fr. Weber knows about the difficulty and hopefully Ignatius will issue an errata sheet.

The good news is that it doesn't affect the quality or completeness of the chants! :-)
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • Attached is Fr. Weber's errata sheet.