Noob questions about OF wedding music.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    First of all, could anyone suggest a piece for 4 singers (SATB) and organ that would make a good recessional for an OF wedding? English is OK; preferable, in fact, since so much of the rest of the music will be in Latin.Public domain is even better.

Second, having never attended an OF wedding, let along been responsible for music, I'm a bit confused. What are the Psalm and Gospel Acclamation? Jeff O. gives a page showing that it's Ps. 34:2-9 with Taste and See (or I will bless the Lord?) but I don't find any identification of where that page is from (making the citation only as good as Jeff...good enough for me, but maybe not for others). That's confirmed as one of several possibilities in Worship 3rd. But I'm drawing a blank on the GA.

I found out that the priest says we'll do Kyrie but no Gloria, in spite of MR 3rd. I'm not inclined to argue with a priest, esp. one I've never met who I have to argue with through an intermediary, but I suppose I need to learn if there's a Penitential Rite or not (that absence seems to be new with MR3, right? and yes, I read the past threads)

This stuff is so much easier in the EF. On the bright side, we'll have Veni creator, 3 Latin chant Propers, a polyphonic Ordinary TBD, and some other tidbits. We're looking to do the psalm verses in falsobordone.
  • MatthewRoth
    Both the Psalm and acclamation options should be taken from the Lectionary.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    As it is a recessional, I think that Rene Clausen's "Set me as a seal on your heart" would be a very beautiful capper.
  • Or Sir Edward Bairstow's setting of the same text.
  • MatthewRoth
    The volume cited is the one are looking for (Commons, votives, and other Masses), but I'm not sure if its contents have been revised.
  • ntnch1776
    The 2002 Lectionary is current, although USCCB is apparently working on revising it (to be completed in the distant future). The website to which you linked, Jeffrey, is correct.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • rich_enough
    Texts of the responsorial psalms for weddings can be found here.

Chabanel psalm settings for weddings are here.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Thanks, think I got it now. Turns out the groom had ideas for both. The Psalm was a Lectionary option, the Alleluia in the Graduale Romanum, so all I have to worry about is making it beautiful.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Wedding just happened today. Groom decided that he wanted a chant Ordinary, so we decided to go with 3 men instead. Mass VIII (ICEL for Sanctus and Agnus, last minute, because that's what got put in the program), Latin Propers, Psalm verses in falsobordone by moi, Purcell's O Praise the Lord all Ye Heathen at offertory, motets by Kevin Allen and Francesco Feroci for communion. In the end we did Gloria but no Kyrie because no Penitential Rite...yes, I know the argument that the Kyrie isn't part of the PR, but it was trumped by "the priest says no."

Lots of fun working with pros. I could get used to this. :-)
  • Did you do the Deus In Loco Sancto Suo Introit? I love that one. A lot of incredible theology in that little antiphon.
  • SATB with organ recessional: O God, Beyond All Praising, arr. Proulx.
  • WMW, we did that hymn, with last 2 phrases harmonized by me
    Is Deus in Loco the OF Introit? We did Deus Israel.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I've done Deus Israel for OF weddings, FWIW
  • Deus Israel is an option, according to the Ordo Cantus Missæ, but the first option is Deus in Loco. Deus Israel is great too, but I think the return to Deus in Loco is much warranted.

"God is in his holy dwelling place; the God who causes us to dwell together, one at heart, in his house; he himself will give power and strength to his people."

In the Sacrament of Marriage, the natural order of marriage enters into Heaven, into God's dwelling place, and enters into the mystery of the heavenly wedding feast of the Lamb. It is in God's dwelling place and in His power and strength that the spouses are made one; with God, a threefold cord. As the couple enters and processes (together, following the priest) towards the altar (which to becomes the heavenly altar), they are entering God's dwelling place and becoming one, and this is encapsulated in this Introit.

The Russian Orthodox priest and theologian Alexander Schmemann goes so far as to say that the procession is the form of marriage. Which there's room for if you take the Eastern idea of gradual becoming in the Sacrament. The vows might be the definitive moment, but the giving of consent (the Form of the Sacrament) begins with the entrance and procession of the couple.
    Thanked by 2Liam hilluminar
  • This groom (and his priest) had some pretty fixed ideas. I policed for licitness bug otherwise sang what the nice man paid me to sing.