Watch Jeff Perform a Magic Trick for Sacred Music
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Did you know I can change the face of Sacred music in less than 5 seconds? Watch!

Organists, BUY THIS BOOK! 148 Interludes for Organ

By Dom Gregory Murray & Noel Rawsthorne.
  • incantuincantu
    (and only play the ones by Murray)
  • francis
    no ped? didn't see it in the samples.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    correct, they don't require pedal

incantu: are the other ones not good?

the murray ones are fantastic
  • miacoyne
    Some have pedals, or you could add, like #6. There are lots of ABA form. Can change registration and use the pedals only in A sections. I like them.
  • incantuincantu
    Mia, that's exactly what I do. If you do play with pedal, it's also easy to solo out the top line and take the alto with the left hand. Take my word as an inexpert organist. The great thing about the Murray is that you get a lot of bang for your buck, so to speak. The others are less rewarding imho.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, incantu. I'm originally (?) a pianist. But after I learned to play organ, I found it's so fascinating to try many differerent registrations. (actually listening to the sound qualities) Learning the pedal was almost painful for a pianist, but it was worth every effort. It was a bit like for a musician, who are used to 5 line notation, trying to learn 4 line notation, (just a lot more confusing!). I also found out that, as you suggested (playing alto with left hand), I have to use my 10 fingers together as one group a lot more, especially for innder voices, instead of using right and left hand seperately.
    But I'm glad I learned to play organ, and still learning. Now I really don't want to play piano in the church anymore. (when I hear 'fff' on the piano in the church it feels like banging my head with a big hammer. No offense to the pianists, it's just me. I still love Beethoven's passionate crescendo and a bit of "madness' in his music, but outside the church.)
    Anyway, somehow playing organ led me to sacred music.