What to bring to Colloquium?
  • kevinfkevinf
    What should one bring to the Colloquium?

Chant books..
    organ shoes...
    music.....

?
  • canadashcanadash
    Ear plugs if you are staying in the dormatory.
    Extra blanket; your own pillow.
  • rollingrj
    With the campus being very close to the confluence of the Three Rivers, it will be a little more humid than you may expect. Light, comfortable clothing is a must.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I lived in Pittsburgh for three years, so am familiar with the humidity.
  • Kathy
    Alcohol and snacks are always useful on a summer evening.
  • MatthewRoth
    Pencil for music, pen/pencil and paper or tablet for notetaking, recorder for talks and liturgies (highly encouraged!)

They give you a book with all music for the week. You might want a folder for handouts.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I can bring bourbon as I collect it these days.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • matthewjmatthewj
    3-5 suits
    Dress shirts and ties
    French press
    Electric kettle
    Teas and coffees
    Bourbon or scotch
    Pens and pencils
    A book or two
    A notepad
    Popcorn
    All of the things.
  • bonniebede
    All of the things? really? not just most of them?
  • BenBen
    Nexus 9.

:)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Alcohol and snacks are always useful on a summer evening.

Full disclosure: I coaxed Mahrt into two evenings (in Loyala, Chicago) post Compline to join us on the fourth floor for conviviality with gourmet wines, Mondavi (real Mondavi) Private Reserve and Regusci (boutique) Cabernet.
    You want Yoda, supply Yoda what he knows, ie. California fine wines. I had them shipped. Best investment I've ever made.
  • rollingrj
    'Melo, was that a bribe or was it incentive?
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Ron, that depends if you're looking at from my perspective or Mahrt's!
    Thanked by 1kevinf
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    One year in Chicago we were completely unable to locate a corkscrew... since that time I know of at least one person who always travels with one in her suitcase...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    One year in Chicago we were completely unable to locate a corkscrew

What's this "we," Kemosabe?
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • Kathy
    I remember getting busted by the dorm supervisors in Chicago. Makes you feel young again!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes!!! We were having the crowning of Tucker and AOZ and the kidz appeared and told us to find another venue. Would that U of San Diego had such scrupulous students!
    I recall there being truly no where to go and get a glass of wine nearby the Loyola campus... I think it is a bit better in Pittsburgh -- the Marriott and also the area near this year's hotel both have plenty of good spots.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Pittsburgh is a great city.
    Thanked by 2melofluent BruceL
  • kevinfkevinf
    There are some great restaurants around Shadyside and up in the north of the city.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • If one plans to take the semiology seminar, should he bring his Graduale Triplex? In general, would the Graduale (Romanum/Triplex) be better than the Gregorian Missal? Is there a better book to bring for study purposes, knowing that the music needed for the liturgies is provided in the Colloquium book?

Anybody move forward on printing a four-line staff paper book as was mentioned in another thread?
  • chonakchonak
    In previous years, the examples for the semiology sessions have all been provided in the handout materials.
  • MatthewRoth
    Bring a smartphone just in case one learns singers are needed to sing the Libera Me at the Requiem...when arriving at the church for the Mass!
    Thanked by 2Ben StimsonInRehab
  • BenBen
    When arriving?

When arriving? Ha! We didn't even look at it until the homily. :)
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • mahrt
    rollingrj : the wine was the incentive for a very convivial conversation.
    Thanked by 2melofluent rollingrj
    You may want to bring along your Triplex if you are interested in taking the semiology seminar. We'll also have a few other books related to semiology at the book table. I'm sure Ed will be very willing to give suggestions and advice about them as well. Several of the chant directors may share some insight into the triplex symbols during their classes...

But if you are considering which one to buy first (Gregorian Missal, Graduale Romanum, or Triplex), I'd easily suggest the GM -- the English translations are so very helpful. (jmho).
    A few other things to mention...

Refillable water bottle (many people like to bring their own and re-fill during the week)
    Pencils (we'll have some available for sale at the book table in case you forget)
    Highlighters (if you like to highlight your own part)
    Recorders - we appreciate all the amateur recordings that are shared. I believe Carl Dierschow will continue his support of the recording site this year as in the past...
    Dressy attire for opening night (completely optional of course, but it is fun to dress up now and then, right?

I always like to bring a light cardigan sweater (we never know how the weather will be -- and sometimes the meeting rooms can be very cool)
  • canadashcanadash
    Any need for my son to bring his violin? Unfortunately the cello won't fit in the car we're taking.
  • chonakchonak
    Really? I thought that "everything goes with cello."
    Thanked by 2canadash melofluent
  • SalieriSalieri
    Recorders

Discant or Alto?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
    ... that will be for the early music wine-drinking session with Dr. Mahrt :)
  • kevinfkevinf
    Also trying to decide whether to drive the sedan or the convertible bimmer to Pittsburgh.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If you choose convertible, I may let you chauffeur me around...

That could be seen as a perk or as purgatory.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I know Pittsburgh rather well as I lived there. Could be a perk.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Humidity vs A/C.
    I always choose A/C.
    As regards my affection for Pittsburgh, it's like a combo of Oakland and SF. And they fixed my 3" dislocated shoulder with great deference.
  • matthewjmatthewj

I know Pittsburgh rather well as I lived there. Could be a perk.

I meant for you, not for me.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • JennyJenny
    Post it notes and/or paper clips. Very helpful for marking your pieces in the very large music book. I second the notion of your own pillow (and perhaps, blanket) if staying in the dorms and a variety of snacks and libations.