Nota bene: Google
  • chonakchonak
    On my own blog, Cantor, I might have plenty to say about that.

But as Jeffrey mentioned last week in a thread about the passing of Fr. Neuhaus (may he rest in peace!):

politics is just not part of any sacred music program, or shouldn't be, in my view.

[...]

For all those who happen to run across this post: i hope you agree that there should be a "wall of separation" between politics and liturgy. It would break my heart for political divisions to elicit rancor on this forum.
  • GavinGavin
    I agree with chonak. And I wonder the point of this - am I not supposed to use Google or what?
  • Cantor
    I suppose if this is a forum where we discuss liturgy as an end in and of itself, then I’ll warrant there is no point in mentioning this.

If, though, this is a forum where the Catholic faith is ultimately the subject matter (albeit generally as it concerns liturgical music), then I think an issue like this is worth mentioning. This is not just a political issue; the bishops of California were/are in support of Proposition 8 because it corresponds too greatly to the Catholic teaching on marriage for them not to.

I’ve been using Google so long, I am almost confused at the idea of avoiding/minimizing my use of their services. But yes, Gavin, I bring this up because I suspect it may be appropriate for Catholics to try to minimize use of Google’s ad-based services since that is how they generate their revenue stream.

I suppose it’s debatable whether that revenue stream is really working against the Church.
  • Shows how clueless I am. I don't even know what Prop 8 is. oh well. let's sink this.
  • Cantor
    I myself am honestly interested in other Catholics’ thoughts on this matter and disagree with sinking it, regardless of that I started the discussion. Where else would we talk about this stuff??

FWIW.

Everyone should know what Prop 8 is/was because it will affect us all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8_%282008%29
  • chonakchonak
    There are quite a few forums for the discussion of public policy issues and moral issues in public life. A good one is the Catholic Answers forum, which includes a section on events in the news, such as Prop 8. Also, the website "Catholic Exchange" has a forum and discussions of its news stories. Of course, there are many bloggers and commentators dealing in public policy issues: e.g., The Catholic Thing, Mark Shea, and many more you can find through the search engine at catholicblogs.com. Most of them are open to comments, and the best ones have active discussions involving regular readers.

On the other hand, there are but few forums where sacred music is discussed.
  • CharlesW
    I would agree that what we do has to be in the context of the faith of the Catholic Church. Otherwise, we become like that other church, which will be nameless, where all the lovely rituals and music are preserved, but where most don't believe a thing. As for not using Google, I would have to repeat what I told one of the local pro-life organizations some years ago when they wanted to boycott various companies. "Would you like me to live in the woods and go naked?" Its nearly impossible to live in the world without being affected by it. Perhaps some monks on an island somewhere can do it, but I can't. Prop 8 is for the good people of California to wrangle with. If it gets to Tennessee, then I will deal with it. In the meantime, back to trying to restore music to worship that is both sacred and reverent. I have my hands full with that.
  • Agreed.
  • GavinGavin
    We should all make a point to review the forum etiquette guidelines every now and then. First off, unless this site is using Google's add services, it should not be in the "CMAA Notes" category (guideline 6). Perhaps "General Discussion: Catholicism" would have been more appropriate. If this site IS using Google's ad services to generate revenue, it should cease immediately, but I haven't noticed that they are.

Furthermore, look at the "about" statement: "The Church Music Association of America is an association of Catholic musicians, and those who have a special interest in music and liturgy, active in advancing Gregorian chant, Renaissance polyphony, and other forms of sacred music, including new composition, for liturgical use.The CMAA’s purpose is the advancement of musica sacra in keeping with the norms established by competent ecclesiastical authority." I think the qualifier "Catholic" musicians is perhaps misplaced, as we have some protestant members in the CMAA, but besides that I see nothing in the statement about advancing one or another political agenda. I would even say we have no business doing such. We have a politically diverse membership; I am moderate, perhaps liberal compared to most here, we have Republicans, Libertarians (no need to name names!), indifferent people, and maybe a monarchist or two. I wouldn't be surprised to find out there's many closet Democrats at the colloquia. What do our political leanings have to do with advancing Sacred Music? Nothing, short of someone who wants to repress the Church I suppose.

I too find the issue of same-sex "marriage" important. But let's keep that on the blogs, rather than risking making others here feel unwelcome.
  • To my knowledge, the CMAA makes no use of Google's paid services either to advertise or to generate revenue; all traffic to this site has come via organic search results and old-fashioned word-of-mouth advertising. Of course, I don't know how many companies Google has its fingers in, so what wasn't Googlized yesterday may be so today.
  • Cantor
    Good points, all.
  • GavinGavin
    At any rate, your intentions were good. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, even if this isn't the forum for it.