Sound editing programs
  • Kathy
    I've run out my trial of WavePad, which I like. Are there other editing programs I ought to try before purchasing?

Thanks.
  • Audacity is the “gold standard” of open source audio editors. I use it only for simple editing, but it does the job.

For converting audio and video formats, by the way, ffmpeg is the standard tool. It’s a bit cryptic, but not too bad. The drawback is that it is in “perpetual beta”, so there are some things that are badly broken; for example, it incorrectly handles the AVCHD/H.264 video from my camcorder, such that if I try to convert to ntsc-dvd format, the video is half as slow as the audio. Hopefully the folks who hack on it will fix that soon. But for converting among wav, mp3, ac3, flac, and whatever else, it’s a godsend—and it does work reliably on native mpeg2 (e.g. DVD video) streams.

Anyone out there banging their head into the wall about the aforementioned ffmpeg problem, email me for a very-slow-but-simple perl script that will solve your woes.
  • ghmus7
    I think Sound Forge is excellent. It is truly versatile, and elegantly written software. It has never crashed in the entire year I have used it.
    Easy to learn I think.
  • I've used Cool Edit for a decade, but it was acquired by Adobe and I'm not sure what they call it now - it's a great editor and powerful processor as well, try it out from Adobe's website . . .
  • Mr. Z
    30 days of free heaven.

http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/index.html
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Another vote here for Audacity.
  • GavinGavin
    Which of these programs will run on Ubuntu? I've been looking for something like Cubase for Ubuntu.
  • chonakchonak
    Audacity is available for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X.

On an Ubuntu machine, type: "sudo apt-get install audacity" in a terminal window, and that'll probably do it.
  • Somtimes I feel like a Neanderthal napping while new technology zips past. What exactly do WavePad, Audacity, and Sound Forge do? And why do I need to know?
  • chonakchonak
    You can use them to edit sound files: take out portions or apply effects to portions of an audio file (e.g., fade in/out, noise reduction), and save the result.

In a typical scenario, you could use a sound editor program on a recording made by a portable audio recorder device. You can delete portions you don't want to save (e.g., homilies and other miscellaneous noises :-) ) , and select the music performances to save as separate WAV or MP3 files.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I use Audacity in a very basic way and it's very good for the technologically inept.
  • Kathy
    I'll check out these programs. Thanks for the very helpful suggestions.
  • francis
    i am on mac... anyone else? if so, which sound editing apps do you use?
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Francis, I am Mac also. I use Audacity.
  • francis
    Hmmm... I will have to look it up and see what it is like. I used Felt Tip Studio for a long long time.