Schaefer book
  • Somehow I missed this one when it came out in September 2008.
  • kevinfkevinf
    While at one time I was rather enamored of LTP, I have believed for some years that they are stuck in an 1980's mentality. Closely associated with the Office of Divine Worship in Chicago, I believe they broke with it when Cardinal George entered into the picture. This book, while appreciating the tradition, does not do it justice and praises the chant in a back-handed manner (one option among the many).
  • Kevin,

I don’t know Schaefer well, but from having met him and read this book, I have a very different impression of the message here.
  • who is LTP? I can't picture Dr. Schaeffer treating chant in any thing resembling a back-handed manner . . . Kevin are you talking about the right person/group?
  • G
    I am surprised by what you say, Kevin.
    I have attended a lecture and chant seminar by Rev. Mr. (IIRC,) Shaefer, and your description seems completely out of character.
    I am intrigued, (and this being 28, rather than 95, I think I can read this one sooner rather than later.)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World
  • I think Shaefer is a big chant fan, not that far away from Mahrt.
  • miacoyne
    Ok, I'm buying it. (reminder for myself-should read too ;-)
    Thanks, Jeffrey.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Shortly after Cardinal George arrived in Chicago, there were major changes at LTP. I believe Msgr. Mannion from Salt Lake City was put in charge. Gabe Hueck (sp?) left and so did others. LTP's older publications are still in print. However, Schaefer's book and the Mundelein Psalter point to a very different direction. I don't know who's running the place now because I believe Msgr. Mannion is no longer there.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Jeffrey is correct in his assessment of Deacon/Dr. Schaefer, who is also one of the few singers I know who can do endless repercussions without sounding like a sick CD.
  • miacoyne
    Which direction is Schaedfer's book pointing to? More latin chant or less? And what or who is LTP? Anyone?
  • chonakchonak
    Mia, which is faster: to ask us, or to do an internet search for "LTP"? :-)
  • kevinfkevinf
    Again, its good. I just want something stronger.

LTP is Liturgy Training Publications. Publisher of liturgical materials out of Chicago. Publishes a variety of materials relating to the liturgy.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Forgive me all, I have been referring to the wrong book, as my blessed spouse just pointed out to me.
    Apologies to all.

However, I will stand by my statement about LTP.

Kevin
  • miacoyne
    Chonak, I found LTP in google. Thanks. There are also many abb. in this forum that I naver found in inernet search also. (I ask people, but my husband look at the map. He insists that I should look at the map. ;-)
    If Moses had ever asked, instead of wondering around for 40 years...
  • G
    I think Huck's departure was a little more complicated than "he left."
    The Ephemerists tried to make him out a martyr.
    You're right, LTP produced a lot of, I want to use the right word here.... CRAP.
    (Yes, that's it.)
    It used to publish a lot of crap under the ancien regime.
    And it is changing under Cdl George's episcopacy in Chicago, though not fast enough for some tastes.
    The schola at Gonzaga under Dr, (not a deacon yet, then, IIRC,) Schaefer was one of the choral and liturgical glories of the country, IMO.

Kevin, can you tell us what book you were thinking of? Warnings are as useful as recommendations!

Chonak, I think many of us post here looking for not just journalism, (just the facts, m'am,) but editorial opinion, from like-minded individuals. And "faster" isn't necessarily "more to the point."
    (And of course, it's possible that long term potentiation or Linux test project would get more and higher hits)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World
  • kevinfkevinf
    Yes, the book in question was Michael Joncas' From Sacred Music to Ritual Song. I was reading about 10 books for a paper I am presenting at a local university.
    Again, apologies to all for my meanderings.

Kevin
  • G
    Not at all.
    I read about that much of the Joncas book as well.
    I do intend to read more, but I don't want the seeming endorsement of spending money, either mine, or my parish's on it.
    And my reaction was the same.
    I see that again, and again, in liturgical and musical editorial written by the Ephemerists, no actual errors, just an incorrect and very misleading emphasis, (in the apportionment of words devoted to the various options, if nothing else,) that makes it seem as if the ideal is merely one equal valid option among many.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • miacoyne
    It can be very confusing for many people, and they can be misled easily. I came to understand the nature of Sacred music and the Liturgy by reading many articles and books by defenders of Sacred music, because I got interested to know. (still need to learn a lot more) I don't know how we can convince those who haven't got time or motivated to read or learn about them. The ones who just go to mass on Sundays and sing whatever is given to them.

Thanks, G and Kevin for sharing,
  • mjballoumjballou
    @G - I was trying to be polite about Huck. What are Ephemerists? It sounds so wonderfully heretical. Practice sentence: Was Lord Swoble burned at the stake for illuminism or ephemerism? Or are they simply devotees of missalettes, similar to the way the antiquarian book trade defines "ephemera"?

See, now I've gone all silly.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I profess, I love the title Ephemerists. Gives it a classy title.
  • G
    I made it up.
    The Conservatives/Liberals or Traditionalists/Progressives, labels really don't work in the conversations about different schools of thought in liturgical music, and they're inaccurate to boot.

I now differentiate right-thinking people from those who are less interested in the timeless transcendent by referring to them as Preservatives ;o) and Ephemerists:oP

And yes, I suppose Ephemerism, (the pushing of disposable "ritual", a contradiction in terms,) may be a kind of heresy.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • "I made it up."

Do you feel better now?
    I'm not going to be as coy or forgiving as MJB, G. I have and have read the Joncas book a couple of times. I've never intuited from those readings or your presumptive analysis that Joncas either reduced or deduced the heirarchy of options in all the documents as literal evidence of a personal ambiguity or ambivilence _against_ the pride of place of chant, then polyphony in the Liturgy. And to then blithely associate his person, his academic credentials and his integrity with this clever moniker sheds more light upon your prejudices than his.
    When did we stop being Christian, as well as being intelligent and civil? Joncas' little tract should, if anything, be regarded as an earlier, Cliffs-notes version of Fr. Ruff's magnificent volume. Neither that effort, nor he should be subjected to stereotypical, clever polemics in order to advance one's own agenda.
    You need some evidence of Joncas' being rooted and grounded, and not floating among the clouds? Have your choir read through his SALVE REGINA if you really think he's a floater.
    Honestly.
  • GavinGavin
    Ephemerist? I thought of this immediately: http://www.unibroue.com/products/ephemere-pomme.cfm If it's anything to do with that, sign me up!
  • kevinfkevinf
    In fairness to the discussion, Fr. Joncas (yes, he is a priest) suffers from the claim to fame of Eagle's Wings composition. In truth, a survey of his writings (articles in Worship, the above-mentioned book and writings in the NPM magazine) leave me unconvinced of the support towards the goals of the reform. His comments about the experience of the Washington papal liturgy left me concerned about the ongoing discussion about ethnicity and liturgical music. He commented that the liturgy was "hospitable" toward certain groups, as though they needed hospitality. I was profoundly disheartened by those comments.

I would however, agree to the question of his compositional prowess growing from the time of OEW. I believe his time at San Anselmo in Rome pressed that question forward,as did his thinking about the questions of the liturgy and sacred music. The aforementioned book recognizes the place of chant, but I remain unconvinced of any real desire to see it in place as an alternative to the the status quo. In fact, in my presentation I am currently preparing, I reckon with his writing as somewhere in between the present divides in the American scene. He is grounded in the tradition, but to use the present Holy Father's thoughts, I believe him to be conflicted about the hermeneutic of continuity. Joncas has the academic credibility to entertain such questions. He is no "floater".

These are my personal thoughts and reflect my journey through some of the same places. I am a just a poor church musician who loves Tournemire and has struggled for years very conflicted about the state of affairs. Thank God for conversion.
  • The Joncas book I've read in detail. It was challenging in some ways. I'm not sure his document parsing really substitutes for a solid grounding in chant, and Fr. Ruff certainly has that. In fact, it's strange in some ways. Chant is so integral to Fr. Ruff's book that he seems nearly to take it for granted; Fr. Joncas seems to lack that grounding, in my view. It's not pure propaganda but neither does it seem to have much direction.
  • miacoyne
    I got Schaefer' book and am enjoying reading it. He emphasizes the role of Gregorian chant in liturgy through the various reforms of The Church. The book can be also appealing to people who are distant from the chant and polyphny (a good gift to MDs or priests in your churches). It gives many practical suggestions. Highly recommand, especially for musicians who are trying to bring 'the Spirit of the Litugy' in OF mass.
  • RobertRobert
    Jeffrey, just to clarify - are you saying that Fr. Joncas himself lacks a grounding in chant, or that his book fails to give the reader a grounding in the importance of chant? I understand that Joncas himself has plenty of scholarly cred on the subject of chant, though perhaps this doesn't come through in his book.
  • miacoyne
    Sorry to interrupt you, but I just read an article from Our Sunday Visitor Feb. I, 2009, 'Ancient Chant Appeals to Modern Ears." In that article, Fr. Joncas had an interview and answered a few questions, but it didn't impress me that he was very enthusiastic about chants. I don't know whether the amount of his knowledge on the subject necessarily balances his support of it in reality.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Mia - I read the email interview with Fr. Joncas and felt that his comments on chant and polyphony were "faint praise" indeed, falling in the "nice but impossible" category.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks, Mary jane, I wish they had an interview with Dr. Schaefer, instead.
  • Robert, I'm not sure how much grounding he has in chant. The book is quite circuitous, and avoids critical issues such as the ideals. In fact, a reader could read to the point of memorization and still walk away without a clue about what to shoot for, much less sing this next sunday. It is really confused and confusing in many ways, and ends with the announcement that chant is pretty well dead. I really don't know what he actual opinions are. It is a very studied study that lacks any real core, IMHO. I also didn't appreciate his poking fun at PX, really. Fr. Ruff is much more subtle on the PX issue.
  • RobertRobert
    Here's another book from the same publisher that I'm sure would be of interest to many here--a monograph from 2005 by Cristoph Tietze on the subject of introits. I thought at first that this was his musical collection Introit Hymns for the Church Year because of the similar title, but really it's a book-length rationale for that collection. The contents of this book are of much broader interest than its title and premise would suggest.
  • miacoyne
    Tietze has his music collection of Introit that goes with this book, which I recommanded to use in our parish last year (didn't happen though) I read the book above and impressed with his scholarly effort and research on this project. But when you consider the true fuction of the Introit, not as a gathering song, I'm not sure this is heading toward that direction. (there's another thread in the forum "Importance of Propers," and I just read Arlene's post about this.)
  • Planning on using Schaefer's book for a course in Liturgical Music this Winter. I will need to "fill in" but Catholic Music Through the Ages is a very good place to start.