Big fat whiteboard marker
  • Carl DCarl D
    OK, I have a strange request for all of you out there. Humor me.

Square note notation was designed to be written with a wide-nib pen or quill, and when you do that, you can write it extremely fast.

What I'm looking for is a big fat pen that can be used on a whiteboard - the tip being, say, half an inch by an eigth of an inch. Filling in square noteheads with a (relatively) tiny pen is driving me nuts.

I have a couple of permanent markers with these dimensions, but haven't been able to find whiteboard markers anywhere in the US, even after spending an embarrassing amount of time on the web one weekend.

Any pointers? Do I need to find someone in a different country just to get this?
  • chonakchonak
    Try a Google search for "jumbo dry erase marker", and you'll find a few products that look suitable, such as:
    http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=514725
  • miacoyne
    How about good old chalkboard. The chalk can be used in side ways and it's perfect for drawing neums. (not fancy, but economical too)
  • Carl DCarl D
    Thanks, Chonak, I may have to check out that one at Office Depot - that's a different brand than the ones I've seen elsewhere.

And chalk might indeed be an excellent solution. The room I'm in does have an actual (gasp!) chalkboard, despite being in a new building. I'll give it a shot!
  • francis
    I use chalk... works excellently for neumes. Was demonstrating this to schola just last week.
  • Carl DCarl D
    I dropped by my local Office Depot today, and they didn't have the markers - and now I see on the website that it's "delivery only." So I'm thinking that perhaps these are a totally new item, no doubt because of the incredible amount of square note classes which are popping up all over the US because of the CMAA.

The next thing you know is that they'll be making paper which is pre-printed with four-line staffs.

:-)
  • francis
    Carl:

Here you go. :-) If you want revised vesions, let me know (smaller spaces, adjusted space between staves, less staves, etc.)
  • Carl DCarl D
    Thanks, Francis. When it's sold in pads at Office Depot, that will be a breakthrough. :-)
  • francis
    What will be more amazing is when they play it through their muzak system!
  • cre
    In our music room at Mater Ecclesiae Church where we rehearse, our Schola Director has a whiteboard with 4-line staves and lots of sheet magnet cut into square neumes. Very easy, neat and convenient to use and does not need any erasers.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Well, I'm ecstatic. I went over to the local Office Depot and worked a deal where I just got the markers for $5.99 plus tax. Got them delivered to my home today!

And yes, they're big honkin' fat markers, just about the size I said.

Thanks for the help, everyone!