Gathering: "Beyond The Days," Ricky Manalo
    Responsorial Psalm: "Be Merciful, O Lord," Steve Angrisano
    Gospel Acclamation: Mass for Our Lady, Steven C. Warner
    Offertory: "There Is A Longing," Anne Quigley
    Mass Setting: Heritage Mass, Owen Alstott
    Communion: "Loving And Forgiving," Scott Soper
    Sending Forth: "Somebody's Knockin' At Your Door," SPIRITUAL
  • chonakchonak
    Some of us might be doing a program with that much contemporary music, but probably not many. CMAA aims to cultivate Gregorian chant and polyphony, as Vatican II urged. There's also classic hymnody as well. After all, we have about 500 years of it to draw on.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    I'll be singing mass XVIII, the Gregorian propers for the day, the Marian antiphon for the season (my mind fails me at the moment which one that is), attended domine, and probably parce domine.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Ben,

The Marian antiphon is Ave Regina Caelorum

Thanked by 1Ben
  • matthewjmatthewj
    SS Simon and Jude, Cathedral of Phoenix
    http://www.facebook.com/cathedralchoirphoenix
    No prelude or postlude (MS 66)
    Entrance Chant - Misereris omnium (Bartlett 8:30am and 10am, Gradual 6pm)
    Psalm - AOZ
    Acclamation - Lumen Christi Missal
    Distribution of Ashes - chants from Lumen Christi Missal
    Motet at 6pm - Kyrie Eleison (based on Byrd Pavane, Schaefer, WLP)
    Motet at 6pm - Lamb of God (Brace)
    Offertory - Exaltabo te (Bartlett 8:30 and 10am, Gradual 6pm)
    Sanctus XVIII / Agnus Dei XVIII
    Communion - Qui meditabor (Bartlett 8:30am and 10am, Gradual 6pm)
    Additional chants at 8:30am and 10am - Taste and See, Mode III
    Hymn if necessary - My Song is Love Unknown, LOVE UNKNOWN
    Motet at 6pm - Ave Verum, Byrd
    Recessional Hymn - Lord Who Throughout these Forty Days ST FLAVIAN
    Thanked by 2jcapece Mark Husey
  • Entrance: Again We Keep This Solemn Fast (ERHALT UNS HERR)
    Offertory: O Merciful Redeemer (MELCOMBE)
    Sanctus & Agnus Dei: A Parish Mass (Togni)
    Communion: The King of Love My Shepherd Is (ST COLUMBA)
    Distribution of Ashes: Parce Domine & Attende Domine
    Thanked by 2canadash jcapece
  • Saint Edward, Newark CA 9:00 AM Missa Cantata (OF) with Schola
    Full Gregorian Proper from the Graduale Romanum, with Mass XVIII
    During the Imposition of Ashes:
    "Immutemur habitu" ... Mode 1, "Juxta vestibulum et altare" ... Mode 4, "Emendemus in melius" ... William Byrd
    Offertory: "Exaltabo te, Domine" ... Mode 2 Chant, followed by setting by Alessandro Scarlatti.
    Communion: "Qui meditabitur" ... Graduale, followed by "Miserere mei Deus" ... Byrd.
    Retiring Procession: "Lord, Who throughout These Forty Days" ... ST. FLAVIAN
    Thanked by 3jcapece BruceL Ben
  • Sodality of St Edmund King and Martyr at St Mary of the Seven Sorrows, Kitchener, Ontario.

At the Blessing and Imposition of Ashes: Give ear, O Lord etc, from Palmer and Burgess, English Gradual.
    Hymn: Forty Days and Forty Nights (HEINLEIN).
    At the Mass:
    Introit, Gradual Psalm, Tract, Offertory: from Burt, Anglican Use Gradual.
    Hymn: My song is love unknown (LOVE UNKNOWN)
    Communion: He who doth meditate, Palmer and Burgess.
    Hymn: Lord to thee alone we turn (ABERYSTWYTH)
  • CharlesW
    Holy Ghost Catholic Church, Knoxville, TN

Entrance: Lord, Who throughout These Forty Days (St. Flavian)
    Psalm: Psalm 51:3, Be Merciful, O Lord For We Have Sinned by Michael Bedford
    Chants for giving of ashes - Richard Rice
    Sanctus and Agnus Dei (Mass XVIII) remaining Ordinary parts ICEL English chants
    Offertory: Pie Jesu - Gounod
    Communion: Eat This Bread - Berthier
    Recessional: Again We Keep This Solemn Fast (Erhalt Uns Herr)

No prelude, postlude, or other instrumental music.
  • I grew up in a church who used contemporary music for the majority of their music. You don't see too many churches in my area using Gregorian Chant. I still do music ministry in that parish, and I'm also a Music Director for a similarly styled parish (St. Peter's) (which, while they enjoy the classical church music, also enjoy the contemporary style).
  • Ummm...Isn't this sort of a contradiction in hymns?

Or can you have it both ways!
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • chonakchonak
    Eat this Bread, not that bread.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    I hesitate to post this because I don't want to this to be either a competition or a display. But, and I reluctantly "but". Here is OLMC in Littleton, CO.

I'm also attaching our "untested" editing of the blessing of the ashes if anyone wishes to use it. It is completely copyright free as all of the churches treasures should be.
  • JahazaJahaza
    At St. Michael’s Russian Catholic Church in NYC, we'll be singing the third part of the Canon of St Andrew of Crete on Wednesday. Ordinarily we serve the Liturgy of the Presanctified on Lenten Wednesdays, but in the first week we serve the Presanctified on Friday to make room for the Canon on Wednesday.
  • dhalkjdhalkj
    I've done some musing on the question of fasting versus receiving communion (which breaks the fast) and have decided that the confusion arose from the Roman Stational Churches Masses that were put into place during Lent. As can be seen from the Communio Psalms which started with Psalm 1 on Ash Wednesday and proceed through Psalms 2, 3, 4 etc day by day through the season (albeit skipping over Thursdays) this was a coherent plan thought out and instituted by a music ministry that was in step with the hierarchy's liturgical needs.
    Fasting used to be waiting until evening to eat. This still shows up in the Liturgy of the Presanctified (Communion after Evening Prayer), the time of the Good Friday Liturgy (The time of celebrating the Evening Prayers was advanced to 3pm on fast days), and the fasting disciplines of other Middle Eastern religions. But something made the western church think that Lent should be observed by attending and receiving communion in the morning. Stational liturgies were obviously a way of honouring the different Roman Churches and bringing the pope into pastoral contact with the congregations but they had a decisive effect on how fasting was observed I'm surmising. They might also have created a climate where non-communicating attendance could have seemed logical and devotional.
    And one further crazy musing. The Pre-Lenten season of the Roman Church is basically the Eastern Lent which counted 5 fast days a week (did not fast on Saturday or Sunday) and needed 8 weeks of time and which was distinct from the Holy Week fast so needed to start 9 weeks before Easter and 3 weeks before the western fast. The whole thing gets codified and recommended for universal observance after some natural disasters and earthquakes cause people to reexamine their lives and resolve to behave better.
    Anybody want to tell me I'm a crazy nut?
    Anybody want to speculate why they didn't do the stational liturgy on Thursdays in the beginning days?
    And Andrew, what is the Ordinary setting for Lent at your ordinariate mass?
  • CharlesW
    Ummm...Isn't this sort of a contradiction in hymns?

Or can you have it both ways!

Berthier gets short shrift among the snooty and was actually an under-rated but talented musician. Besides, if you are stuck with RitualSong for the time being, it is a matter of choosing between the lesser evil - kind of like U.S. presidential races. There are really only two or three good communion hymns in that hymnal.
  • BruceL
    It's neat to see all the Byrd you're doing @SamuelDorlaque. I hadn't realized how similar Emendemus and Miserere were until this year when I programmed them both together. It's actually worked really well for us (a 25+ voice mixed choir, minimal pro help) since we can have a whole Mass where the polyphonic things are the same general style.
  • The problem with Berthier's piece isn't the triteness of the music, but the fact that "this" bread could be ordinary bread. In a different reference to bread, we have Panis Angelicus, fit panis hominum
  • How did Jesus talk about himself in John 6?
  • Dhalkj: we're using the Kyrie, Sanctus+Benedictus, and Agnus Dei melodies from the Mass setting usually called "Orbis Factor", by selecting from the St Dunstan Kyrial. We left aside the Merbeke and started using these on Septuagesima, and will probably use them through until Easter. Arguably we should use something more ferial for Ash Wednesday, but hey.

It looks to me as though the psalm series 1,2,3,4... during Lent advances only on the oldest fast days, that is, excluding Thursday, Saturday (except Ember), and Sunday.
  • rogue63
    PaixGioiaAmor +1.

No trouble at all with Berthier's Eat This Bread. Not my favourite, especially the abrupt bass leaps, but fine for congregational singing. And Jesus made it clear this bread was, in fact, the bread he meant is to eat.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • I think he said, "The bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world."
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • BruceL
    Yeah, I think context is most important here. After all, if you throw out anything that has a reference like that, a great many communios would not be allowed. Another reason why it's important to be totally familiar with the antiphons.
  • PGA,

Given that an enormous percentage of Catholics in America don't go to Mass regularly, and a large percentage of those who do, still don't accept what the Church teaches on.... a whole range of subjects.... use of the word "bread" by a Protestant writer needs to be understood as just that, bread; therefore (although I briefly used the piece myself nearly 2 decades ago) it is utterly unsuited to Mass or any other Catholic liturgical celebration.

Jesus wasn't a Protestant.

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Jesus wasn't a Protestant.
    Indeed, he wasn't a Protestant. And he wasn't a Catholic, either. He was a Jew, and many of our Catholic rites, liturgies, and practices are inherited or derived from the Jews.
    Thanked by 2BruceL Mark Husey
  • CharlesW
    I knew which "bread" Berthier meant. Is this going to be another one of those senseless "pro multis" type arguments? @@
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen BruceL
  • JDE
    But back to the original topic:

Entrance: Our Father, We Have Wandered (Tune: Ach Herr, mich armen Sünder)
    Not singing the Kyrie
    Responsorial Psalm and Gospel Acclamation: Respond & Acclaim
    Imposition of Ashes: Proper antiphons in English at most Masses (solo)
    at Choir Mass: Lord, for Thy Tender Mercy's Sake (Farrant); Seek the Lord (John Carter)
    Preparation of Gifts: O Breathe on Me, O Breath of God (Tune: St Columba)
    at Choir Mass: Psalm 139 (Allen Pote)
    Communion: Proper antiphons in Latin and English (solo)
    at Choir Mass: Return to Me -- an arrangement of Shenandoah with words by one of our choir members for SATB, piano and solo instrument
    Recessional: Lord, who throughout these Forty Days (Tune: St Flavian)

• JDE: would you be able to share that return to me piece your choir member wrote I'd be interesting in taking a peek at it.
  • I'm in a pickle right now because the pastor decided at the last hour that he wants prelude/postlude for tomorrow and I have no idea what I should use. #CatholicworkingforProtestantProblems
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple & Sacred

Nothing fancy is needed, just playing Lenten hymns would do quite nicely.
    Thanked by 3JulieColl CharlesW Ben
  • St. Mary's, Tampa, FL

Entrance: "Lord, Who throughout These Forty Days" (ST. FLAVIAN)
    Responsorial Psalm: "Be Merciful, O Lord" (Haugen refrain, Lectionary text verses set to St. Meinrad Psalm Tone)
    Gospel Acclamation: from Respond & Acclaim
    Imposition of Ashes: "Leave the Past in Ashes" (Consiglio)
    Offertory: different Psalm 30 settings for each Mass (one w/ cantor alone, one w/ Children's Choir, & one w/ Adult Choir)
    Sanctus: ICEL chant
    Mystery of Faith & Amen: Mass of Redemption (Janco)
    Agnus Dei: Mass XVIII
    Communion: Psalm 130 (Joncas)
    Recessional: "Again We Keep This Solemn Fast" (ERHALT UNS, HERR)

Reminder to all of us working in the OF: From the Roman Missal: "The Penitential Act is omitted, and the Distribution of Ashes takes its place" (after the homily).
  • Indeed, he wasn't a Protestant. And he wasn't a Catholic, either. He was a Jew, and many of our Catholic rites, liturgies, and practices are inherited or derived from the Jews.

I knew which "bread" Berthier meant. Is this going to be another one of those senseless "pro multis" type arguments? @@

Yes. These cover it quite nicely. The words "Eat this bread, drink this cup, come to me and never be hungry" are far from Protestant. Indeed, no Protestant believes that by eating earthly bread and drinking from a cup one would never again be hungry or thirsty.

Given that an enormous percentage of Catholics in America don't go to Mass regularly, and a large percentage of those who do, still don't accept what the Church teaches on.... a whole range of subjects....

And comes the red herring, much like the graying of symphony orchestra audiences (our local audience is the youngest it's been in decades,) the death of the shopping mall (a trip to my local mall yesterday revealed it to be annoyingly full,) and a host of other "common wisdom" that often isn't quite true.

I don't know what an enormous percentage of Catholics in America do believe or don't; I haven't asked them all.
  • I'm in a pickle right now because the pastor decided at the last hour that he wants prelude/postlude for tomorrow and I have no idea what I should use.

How about Alain's "Choral Dorien?" It's very simple and hauntingly beautiful. It can be found online for free.
    Thanked by 2BruceL Mark Husey
  • SalieriSalieri
    [No Preludes or Postludes]

Morning 'Low Mass' (Organist-Cantor only)
    Entrance: How merciful (Metrical Introit) - Pluth/Giffen
    Kyrie: not sung
    'Gospel Acclamation': Praise to you + Lectionary verse
    Offertory - Hymn: Ach moj Jezu
    Sanctus: Mass XVIII
    Acclamation/Amen: not sung
    Communion: He who ponders - LCSG (no verses)
    Psalm 33: Taste & See, mode IV - LCSG
    Hymn: Cierniami uwienczona

Evening 'High Mass' (St. Cecilia Choir & Choristers)
    Entrance: You are merciful - Lumen Christi Simple Gradual
    Kyrie: Mass XVIII
    Tract: ? - By Flowing Water/Graduale Simplex
    Offertory: I will extol you - LCSG
    Hymn: The Glory of these Forty Days - HERHALT UNS HERR
    Sanctus: Mass XVIII
    Acclamation: Roman Missal
    Amen: Missa Campifontis
    Communion: He who ponders - LCSG
    Hymn: Ach moj Jezu
    Psalm 33: Taste & See, mode IV - LCSG
    Hymn: Cierniami uwienczona
    ==
    Distribution of Ashes: Antiphons & Responsory from LCG (The distribution of Ashes takes place after Mass)
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • ghmus7
    Worship aid attached.
  • Spriggo
    St. Fabian Catholic Church
    Farmington Hills, Mi.

OPENING: Our Father, We Have Wandered (PASSION CHORALE)
    PSALM: Guimont
    GOSPEL ACCLAMATION: Proulx
    IMPOSITION OF ASHES: Antiphons and Responsory from The American Gradual
    OFFERTORY: Again We Keep This Solemn Fast (OLD HUNDREDTH)
    ORDINARY: ICEL Chants
    COMMUNION: LCSG
    CLOSING: The Glory Of These Forty Days (ERHALT UNS HERR)
  • Everything from the Graduale Simplex.
  • @PGA that is a beautiful piece, I ended up listening to several of his works on YouTube after I looked it up...never heard of him before! Yay for new music! Sadly I am but a pianist and the Choral Dorien will not translate well...I've narrowed it down to two or three pieces and will decide this morning lol
  • Capital University Catholic Student Association

Entrance: The Glory of These Forty Days (Erhalt uns Herr)
    Psalm and Gospel Acclamation: from Respond and Acclaim
    Imposition of Ashes: Hear Us, Almighty Lord (Attende Domine)
    Eucharistic Acclamations, Agnus Dei: Mass in Honor of St. Benedict (LeBlanc)
    Communion: Behold the Lamb (Willett)
    Closing: From Ashes to the Living Font (omitting verse 3) (St. Flavian)

The students I work with for our irregular schedule picked all but the opening and imposition music. They did not know about Attende Domine, and wanted Conry's Ashes and its absurd text. There has to be at least some contemporary music for the students, a judgment made based on 18 years of experience, as that's all they know.
  • At Walsingham - 7.00 pm Solemn High Mass

Organ Voluntary - 'Ich ruf zu dir' - J.S. Bach
    Introit - Miserere omnium - AUG (Anglican Use Gradual)

Psalm - Miserator et misericors - Chant: C.C. Palmer

Tract - Domine, non secundum peccata nostra - AUG

Antiphon at the Blessing of Ashes - Exaudi nos - Palmer-Burgess
    Psalm LI - Miserere mei, Deus - Chant: W.E. Smith
    Anthem - Hide not Thou Thy Face from Us, O Lord - R. Farrant

Litany of Penitence

Offertory Antiphon - Exaltabo te, Domine - Palmer-Burgess
    Anthem - Call to Remembrance - R. Farrant

Sanctus & Benedictus - Casciolini, in A-Minor

Agnus Dei - Casciolini, in A-Minor

Communion Antiphon - Qui meditabitur - AUG
    Anthem - Wash Me Throughly - S.S. Wesley
    Hymn - Jesus, Lover of My Soul - 'Aberystwyth'

Hymn at the Dismissal - The Glory of These Forty Days - 'Spires'
    Invocation of Saints -
    Trisagion - A.A. Arkhangelsky
    Voluntary -
  • CharlesW
    Ash Wednesday - what really happened. The roads were covered with ice and snow. I couldn't get out of my lengthy driveway so I stayed home.
  • Ash Wednesday - what really happened. Mid term break holiday, choir disbanded, so went to last Mass at local Dominica priory. No music sung at all. But huge crosses of ash given,lol.
  • Immaculate Conception, Cleveland, Ohio

Propers and chants for the imposition of ashes out of the Liber
    We only had three singers so we did a chant mass (XIV) but polyphonic motets a 3 for offertory and communion (after the propers of course): a contrafactum from a 3v rondeau on Exaudi nos Domine (off), Gerard de Turnhout Emendemus (comm), and the chant Audi benigne Conditor for a postlude.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick