Thursday after Pentecost: Christ Eternal High Priest
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    As of July 23, 2012 a new Mass Formulary has been promulgated for the feast of Domini Nostri Iesu Christi Summi et Aeterni Sacerdotis (Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal High Priest), which is celebrated on Thursday after Pentecost in some dioceses. See Notitiae 2012, 335-368.

There are no Gregorian chants assigned to the Mass Formulary, but in the Extraordinary Form there is a votive Mass of the same title. Therefore, I think it's safe to take these chants for this feast. See the attached pdf. A week too late, but perhaps this may be of use to you next year!
  • hartleymartin
    According to Wikipedia, the Propers are as for a Votive Mass of the Holy Eucharist.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The Wikipedia entry refers to the feast prior to the 2012 decree. It doesn't give any reference to its statement that the propers of the feast of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal High Priest are taken from the Votive Mass of the Holy Eucharist.

In the third (2002/2008) edition of the Missale Romanum, there is a Votive Mass especially for Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal High Priest (p. 1160). At the end of the Votive Mass of the Holy Eucharist (p. 1163) the Missal says:

Tamquam Missa votiva de Ss.ma Eucharistica adhibiri etiam potest Missa votiva de Domino nostro Iesu Christo summo et æterno Sacerdote...

As a Votive Mass of the Most Holy Eucharist, the Votive Mass of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal High Priest may also be used...

So, it looks like it is the other way around! However, the Votive Mass of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal High Priest wasn't added until the third edition of the Missale Romanum. In the first (1969) and second (1975) edition, the Votive Mass of the Holy Eucharist B had a rubric saying that this formulary could also be used as Votive Mass of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal High Priest. That's what Wikipedia is referring to.

Anyway, the feast of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal High Priest has its own proper texts (Prot. N. 1040/11/L), and the Wikipedia entry is in need of an update. The texts of the orations are now identical to the Votive Mass of the same title in the 1962 Missale Romanum (one small addition to the collect, though).
  • Liam
    But it appears this is *not* an addition to the General Calendar, but only to the particular calendars governed by the episcopal conferences that requested it.
    Thanked by 1smvanroode
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    You are right. I should have read the decree better; it's clearly stated.

• If anyone needs a hymn about Christ the High Priest, I recommend hymn #531 in Worship IV, "Since Our Great High Priest, Christ Jesus." The text by Christopher Idle is paired with the sturdy tune ALL SAINTS (8 7 8 7 77).

Although the hymn is in the "Ascension of the Lord" section of Worship IV (since the text has Ascension references), Jesus as Priest is mentioned in three of the four stanzas.
  • musicman923
    Fr. Jim,

Do you know a good organ prelude/postlude on ALL SAINTS hymn tune? It's one of my favorites and looking for a organ setting of it.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    There is a note in the 1974 Graduale at the Votive Mass of the Holy Eucharist referring to what should be done for a Votive Mass of Our Lord Jesus Christ the Eternal High Priest.

Our Baccalaureate Mass was on the Thursday after Pentecost, and even though the US hasn't requested the feast, we did the Votive Mass, with propers as described in the Graduale.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    smvanroode,

Where did you find the Communion verses in your attachment?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The psalm verses to be sung with Hoc corpus can be found in the Graduale Romanum, 170. It gives two options: psalm 23(22) or psalm 116(115). I choose to list the verses from psalm 116, but I should have listed psalm 23, as this is what the Ordo Cantus Missae (n. 382) indicates.

Even if the feast wasn't requested by your Conference of Bishops, you can always celebrate the Votive Mass of Our Lord Jesus Christ the Eternal High Priest with the selection of chants in the Graduale Romanum, 658.

EDIT: I added psalm 23(22) to the verses to be sung with the communion antiphon.
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Thanks Steven. We did Psalm 23(22), and I was just making sure I didn't miss something!
  • Today it was announced that the feast of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Eternal High Priest will be added to the particular calendar governed by the Dutch Episcopal Conference. A Dutch translation will be made public in October.

I think I'll inquire about the use of Gregorian chants for this Mass Formulary.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Psalm --- i.e., the Dominus regit me?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Psalm --- i.e., the Dominus regit me?

Yes, prescribed in the Ordo Cantus Missae to serve as the verses to the communio "Hoc corpus" for the Votive Mass of Our Lord Jesus Christ the Eternal High Priest.
  • SkirpR,

Sorry. Just confused with the numbering system. Ps. 22, by that reckoning, begins

Eli, Eli Lamma sabacthani?

Why, oh why did some bright spark decide to renumber the psalms?
  • Has somebody a gregorian set (something like the Ordo Cantus Officii) for the divine office of this feast? I'd prefere the monastic version, but the Roman one will also be OK.
    Thank you in advance!
  • In my seminary at the Community of Saint Martin in France, we celebrate the feast of Christ Eternal High Priest since last year, but seven years after brGregory's request above, we still haven't been able to find gregorian chant settings for the divine office. Among the antiphones indicated in Notitiae, only the one for the first psalm of vespers (Iuravit Dominus) seems to already have a gregorian chant setting.

What antiphones and melodies for the hymns should/can be used in order to sing the office for this feast in gregorian chant? Are there any monasteries or other communities that do this, and it that case what do they sing?