Hymns using Alleluia for the final Sunday in OT before Lent
  • Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for hymns that use Alleluia in them for the final Sunday in OT before Lent. I thought of Alleluia Sibg to Jesus, Praise My Soul the King of Heaven and All Creatures of Our God and King. What are some others that would be used in Catholic mass I might not be thinking of?

Thanks!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Alleluia, song of gladness" set to DULCE CARMEN, in the (Episcopal) Hymnal 1940, no. 54. The (Episcopal) Hymnal 1982 has the same text set to Urbs beata Jerusalem plainsong, no. 122, and also to a metrical version of Tibi Christe, splendor Patris plainsong, at 123.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Let all mortal flesh keep silence
  • tomjaw
    Here is the former Vespers Hymn for the Eve of Septuagesima, I presume it is the origin of "Alleluia, song of gladness" as suggested above.

https://societyofstbede.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/eve-of-septuagesima/
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • melofluentmelofluent
    An undervalued hymn, "Come, Christians, join to sing" MADRID
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Yes, "Alleluia, song of gladness" is John Mason Neale's translation of "Alleluia, dulce carmen."
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would second melofluent's recommendation. Some hymn-snobs criticize it for being too simplistic in text, but MADRID is ridiculously fun to improvise on and the text in my opinion is just fine.
  • Kathy
    It's weak. Don't make a habit of using weak texts or people will get the idea that what we sing at Mass isn't important--which will do no one's good agenda any good.

Once a year though, OK.

Chuck's suggestion is the traditional one.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    By the way, I used to think Steve Allen was HILARIOUS when he would read pop lyrics out loud as though they were poetry. A lot of times they were relatively meaningless and it was all so silly. So the basic rule I would follow is, if a text needs a certain hymn tune to prop it up, it's not good enough for Mass. And vice-a-versa.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ben
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Once a year though, OK.

One, that is precisely what the OP requested.
    Two, if congregations take it up whole heartedly, as they do the one Sunday I use it, does that change its value?
    Three, the implication of habitual poor repertoire choice shouldn't be assumed or expounded upon based upon a simple suggestion. It's unnecessary, combative and seriously judgmental.
    Thanked by 1musiclover88
  • unnecessary, combative and seriously judgmental.

Doesn't this describe many comboxes, here and elsewhere?
  • Kathy
    Melo,

This is an ongoing argument between mjm and me. I'm the "hymn snob" in question. Sorry you were caught in the crossfire.

To your #2 question: no, I don't think congregational response is a good barometer of quality.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Actually you weren't the hymn text snob I was thinking about when I wrote the post, though I do now recall discussing it with you way back in the day. I was having this discussion this very week with another textaholic. :)
  • Kathy
    Organists...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I just posted my setting of "Alleluia, Song of Gladness" to the hymn tune BEAUDRY in a new thread.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    "Come, Christians, join to sing" MADRID
    It's hard not to be reminded of something else.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • It's hard not to be reminded of something else.

Around here, it's hard to program Madrid because it turns into this.
  • Kathy
    This explains Meloche's OBSESSION with the song...
  • Not a hymn, but why not have the choir sing Calvin Hampton's "A Repeating Alleluia"?
  • In Marier's hymn book, the tune, CHISLEHURST, by Sydney Nicholson, is set to the words "All Ye Peoples, Praise the Lord, Alleluia!" It has that same grand majesty as does his CRUCIFER.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks, Kathy...
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Praise Christ Jesus King of Heaven is a good one.
  • Worship III has "Sing Alleluia, Praise the Lord," which is a nice hymn.
  • Last verse of Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence ends with Alleluias.