Suggestions for sacred music recordings for children
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Some of the parents in our EF children's schola have asked me to recommend CD titles of chant, sacred hymnody and polyphony to develop their children's sacred music appreciation, but especially to familiarize them with the propers and chants of the Mass and the mass settings of the Kyriale.

Specific titles and groups would be most helpful!

I had some ideas but would much appreciate any of your recommendations so I can offer a really comprehensive list.

L'annee liturgique by the Schola Bellarmina
    Tous les Kyriale et Credo (Volume 8) by Schola Bellarmina
    Abide with Me, 50 Favorite Hymns by Kings' College Choir
    Lent at Ephesus by Benedictines of Mary Queen of Apostles
    Marian Hymns at Ephesus by Benedictines of Mary Queen of Apostles
    Gregorian Anthology by Monks of Solesmes
    Gregorian Melodies, I and II by Monks of Solesmes

Thanks for any recommendations.

• tomjaw
    Will free stuff on the internet be useful....

http://gregorian-chant-hymns.com/hymns-2/

And for the Kyriale...

http://www.ccwatershed.org/kyriale/
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much for these! Free stuff is always welcome! I have several of the titles above and was thinking of starting a lending library for the schola families, but I'd have to be resigned to the fact that I'd probably lose a lot of my CD's. : (
  • Ask around and see who has iTunes or similar programs, and you might be able to share mp3 files. No CD's lost! The other option is to make copies of the CD's for lending but this takes more time. You may even be able to use something like Dropbox for file sharing too.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Our If You Can Sing Joy to the World...book has youtube video sung by Matthew Curtis, including Gregorian Chant in English, which could be enlightening to children in making a connection between chant and scripture before moving to Latin.

While the book is for sale (and multiple copies for choirs and classes always discounted) all Catholic chant and choral music on our site is available for free download.

www.frogmusic.com
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • tomjaw
    This is also very nice if you like modern notation and English...

http://media.musicasacra.com/books/redemption.pdf
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JonLaird
    Lent at Ephesus by Benedictines of Mary Queen of Apostles

This is excellent and is the best readily available CD of good Lent music. I have recommended it to several families who have asked for suggestions.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! We have used several pages of your Gregorian chant coloring book, Noel, and it really clicks with the children. They love making staffs and neumes based on what they've learned in your book. We use a combination of your book and the Square Notes Workbook. Yours fills in all the gaps in the other.

Thanks esp. for the recommendation of If You Can Sing Joy to the World! Somehow I've missed seeing that before. It looks fabulous, and I would like to use it next year with our class. I know the children will latch right on to it---particularly with the clever use of color.

We have some bright lights in the schola, but one 5 year old in particular really stands out. The staff and neumes have really captured his imagination, and he runs into class each week with a different chant composition, slaps it on the keyboard and says, "Play this!"