Choral scholarship
  • rogue63
    I have a fine young student in my choir who very much deserves the stipend that we pay her. My business manager was concerned about the expense (since no one else is in the choir is paid) and I suggested treating the stipend as a choral scholarship. He asked me to draft an agreement to solidify this. Does anyone have a template for this sort of thing? Any suggestions?
  • Kathy
    Sometimes I think business managers really want the pastor's job..
  • rogue63
    Snark not needed, just suggestions and concrete help. Furthermore, the man you just maligned is a very fine deacon and business manager. Not sure how your comment is helpful.

What I'm looking for is a similar document I can adapt to my own purposes: amounts offered, agreed-upon number of rehearsals/liturgies sung, etc. I can write my own but if the wheel's been invented I don't want to re-invent it.
  • Kathy
    Mark Husey has a choral scholarship program that might be helpful.
    Thanked by 1rogue63
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I can send you my singer contract if you'd like. I need an email or something though.
    Thanked by 1Cantus67
  • chonakchonak
    Does structuring the pay as a choral scholarship imply that you'll have to fire the singer when she graduates?
  • rogue63
    In a word, yes. Paid singers not popular here.
  • chonakchonak
    More parishes should institute organ scholarships, I guess.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen ryand
  • Aaron
    This is the second year for our choral scholars. I had one graduate in December and unfortunately couldn't keep him because he was no longer a student (grad or undergrad). But this was the only way I could structure a program of having some paid singers without rocking the boat. They have been a great help to the choral program. Very few can disagree with helping a college student.
  • Just out of curiosity, is the student in high school, or college?
  • rogue63
    She's a college sophomore, but she "punches above her weight". This girl has a professional career ahead of her.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    I can send you my singer contract if you'd like

matthewj, would you send me an example of that contract? I'm praying that we can soon hire section leaders but I'm still setting up the infrastructure (and I'm waiting for Our Lord to send the budget as well). cantus67@gmail.com
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Thanks!!!!