non-rhyming popular English hymn?
  • Can anyone think of a non-rhyming popular English hymn in plainchant? I can't.
  • Pes
    I'm blanking. "Stabat Mater" in English rhymes. Chorale melodies come close, but their texts frequently are made to rhyme, too.

What say our Anglican Use friends?
  • I can't think of a single one!

I want to know for the most practical reason. I want to give an example of the type of song the early Christians sang: no rhymes, plainchant but in English.
  • chonakchonak
    "Hail Thee Festival Day" is non-rhyming, but not plainchant.
  • JamJam
    "O Come all Ye Faithful" doesn't rhyme. I guess that's not really plainchant either, though, eh? It does come from a Latin song originally though.
  • GavinGavin
    Chonak: but the original melody of it was a chant, was it not? That might work.
  • RobertRobert
    It's hard to think of a popular plainchant English hymn at all (setting aside O Come O Come), let alone a non-rhyming one.

In the days of the St. Basil/ St. Gregory hymnals, though, wasn't Parce Domine sung in English to the following words (melody basically the same):

Spare thy people Lord, spare thy people see us here before thee, be not angry Lord with thy people forever.
  • "Hail thee, festival day" (Salve festa dies) set to plainsong as well as to the Vaughan Williams tune, can be found in THE ENGLISH HYMNAL.
  • Hugh
    "Of the Father's Heart Begotten" (Corde Natus) ?
  • Hugh
    Oh, it rhymes ... sorry, scratch that.
  • Kathy
    ISTE CONFESSOR supports non-rhymed texts.

"This is the feast day of the Lord's true witness" is the first line of all the translations--many variants of the rest of the hymn exist.

The LOH books have the best translation, I think--even better than the Summit Choirbook, which is unusual!