Suggestions needed for children's passion play
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    We have a homeschooled children's group that just did a really wonderful presentation of the Joyful Mysteries with music, scripture verses and acting, and it was so much fun that we want to go on and re-enact the Sorrowful Mysteries during Holy Week with the same format. I'm in charge of the music, and we will have a children's schola and an adult choir so I'm putting together a program with music from the G.R. propers, hymns, antiphons, a few motets and some recitatives from Handel's Messiah.

Has anyone done anything like this? How do you recommend re-enacting the scenes of the Passion with children, esp. the Crucifixion, obviously? Any music recommendations? Any advice would be much appreciated!
  • Julie,

I'll put my thinking cap on about the music, but I have a question: did this presentation take place within the context of Mass, or are you recapturing the medieval practice of using theatre to dramatize the faith?

One music piece to avoid: Were you there
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It will be a theatrical performance in an auditorium, and, believeth thou me, I hath despise-ed and reject-eth the aforementioned piece. : )
  • For Passion/Crucifixion:

You could sing the Gregorian antiphons from the Sorrowful Mysteries as listed in the Cantus Selecti, pages *149-*151.

Or there's always the possibility of singing any of the simple arrangements of the Seven Last Words of Christ; there's some decent selections from the Pius X Hymnal and the St. Gregory's Hymnal.

Or, if you're feeling sentimentally ecumenical, there's always Stainer's Crucifixion. :)

The latter comes highly recommended by Ralph Vaughan-Williams. When asked what he thought of Stainer's Crucifixion, Ralph replied, "I think that's a very good idea."
    Thanked by 2JonLaird JulieColl
  • JonLaird
    You could sing the Gregorian antiphons from the Sorrowful Mysteries as listed in the Cantus Selecti, pages *149-*151.

How fascinating! I never knew these compilations existed, yet the volume has sat on my shelf for ages.

And here I always thought Rosary music had to be sappy.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    These are great resources. I didn't know at all about the Cantus Selecti. Just looked it up and the verses for the Mysteria Dolorosa would be the perfect way to provide a unifying element throughout. Thanks so much!

Am familiar with "God so loved the world" and actually want to close with that since it is quite effective, to say the least. Thanks for that also!