Bespoke Hymnody
  • Kathy
    Having just finished yet another hymn translation commission, I wanted to mention that I'm always happy to be asked to do this sort of thing on a sliding-scale professional basis.

Do you run a large program in a big suburban parish with a new paid-for church building and nothing but money? $350 will buy you a custom hymn text that you can use from now until Judgment Day at every parish patronal feast and fish fry.

Are you working in a small declining parish in a poor part of a poor town, or an historic ethnic parish with a huge building upkeep that barely survived the last round of diocesan closings? The same text may be yours for $25.

In-between is in-between, etc. Most folks would be around $225.

Do you have certain Scripture verses in mind? We can do that! A particular rhyme and meter scheme? No problem! A certain saint or saints? Wonderful! A "theme?" Let's talk about it. Heresy? No way!

Dress up your parish's special occasion with a custom-fitted hymn, for the price of a single off-the-rack suit or replacement accompaniment hymnal. The parish is where Catholic life happens, day in and day out. Have something special made to mark this moment in the life of your parish home.

Send a private message, or email hymnwriter at gmail dot com.

• mrcoppermrcopper
    Great idea. Having been (myself) a leading member of the 'post in a way that no one wants to respond' club, you might, in all seriousness, re-work your message in a way that gets people interested. Because many of us composers DO WANT WORDS, though we may not always be good at saying what, how, why and when.
  • PhatFlute
    K.
    Your rhyme is very very good for conv of Paul.

Love from ph
  • Kathy
    Thank you!
  • Kathy
    One of the benefits of doing this, for me, is the opportunity to get to learn in-depth about saints I only knew slightly. In the past month I've gotten to know St. Elizabeth Ann Seton and St. Brigid well--something I've never taken the trouble to do before.

Just as in the past I've gotten to know St. Paul Miki and companions (see this month's Magnificat).

A benefit for the Church is new worthy hymnody, including one to St. Joseph, who has been curiously neglected.

References available upon request, or see my translations of Parce Domine and Attende Domine in the Lumen Christi Hymnal. Or of Nunc tempus acceptabile in the new WLP hymnal. The scriptural background of the text is discussed in their spring planning guide.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Kathy, what's the cost for broke college students/liturgy enthusiasts trying to chant the Office as faithfully as possible?

I really admire your hymnody. You should send in an application to ICEL to be part of the task force translating all the Office Hymns.

You mentioned hymns for St. Joseph, does that mean you have a translation of Te Joseph Celebrent?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • My newborn daughter (12/2014) is named Brigid! Any way to see that recent St. Brigid commission (if it's public)?
  • Kathy
    Send me your email by private message and I'll send you some nice stuff. Congratulations!
  • Kathy
    It's a new budget year, and this means new opportunities to celebrate those special parish occasions with a custom hymn text.

Send me a private message and let's make a plan.
    Thanked by 2Heath Ben
  • Kathy
    I'm bumping this post for new folks on the board, and others who might be interested in commissioning a hymn text this coming year.

I've just finished a very pleasant commission, with satisfied customers all around. It's a happy task, setting important ideas and Scripture passages to music, in ways specifically tailored to a particular worshipping community.

Thank you very much to those who have patronized my work in this way!
    Thanked by 1mlabelle
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thank you very much to those who have patronized my work in this way!

Does it count if, instead of patronizing, I have been patronizing?
  • Kathy
    From you that is ok, because I know you did your best ;)
    Thanked by 2tomjaw eft94530
  • Priestboi
    Hi Kathy, sent you a message :)
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Kathy
    Having just finished two cathedral commissions, I just wanted to bump up this thread for the benefit of parishes/ seminaries/ cathedrals/ dioceses/ religious communities/ schools/ community choirs/ military chapels/ sovereign military hospitaller orders/ shrines/ publishing houses/ conferences of major religious, or any other potentially interested party.

I would be pleased to speak with you about writing a hymn text for your particular special occasion. In the past I have written commissioned work for major feasts, dedications of altars and chapels, a beatification, and patronal feasts.

Feel free to send a private message here, or contact me at hymnwriter at gmail dot com

References upon request.
  • Kathy
    Just finishing up a commission, and thought I would bump this up for those wanting something nice for a summer celebration.

Thank you and God bless you.
  • Kathy
    ...And bumping for the fall back-to-choir season.
  • Kathy
    Bumping again for the new fiscal year, having just finished another commission.