• francis
    There was a post on the organ forum a few days ago asking what kind of accessories we had on the organ at church. Here is what I posted.

I took my idea from VW side view mirrors. Mirror engraving on right mirror: "Object in mirror is facing in the wrong direction."

Please list or display your accessories here!
  • CharlesW
    Post-it notes, paper clips, pens and pencils, tissues, accompaniment editions of hymnals, the current day's choir music, the psalm of the day and communion propers, all in their own little stacks, and such. In my music bag - magnet on extendable rod for retrieving paper clips that fall under the pedal board, pliers for unsticking jammed thumb studs, screwdrivers for the occasional repair to the console, water, organ shoes, glasses for playing, cough drops, and always some dark chocolate. Awful sermons go better with dark chocolate, don't you think?

Note: Console will be rebuilt in July 2015, so perhaps I can leave all the tools home afterwards.
  • SalieriSalieri
    magnet on extendable rod for retrieving paper clips

Genius.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • kevinfkevinf
    My faithful stuffed dog sits beside the claviers, appropriately named "Anathema."
  • A pencil is quite a luxury at the console. Can't tell you how useful its been!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    I keep a box each of large and small paper clips, a stack of note paper, tea-bags, a water tumbler, push pins, a holy card of St. Athanasius, a recipe box with cards with choir-members names & phone numbers, a copy each of "Benedictus" (writings for each day by Ratzinger/Benedict XVI), Gordon Reynolds' "Organo Pleno" & "Full Swell", "The Problem of the Liturgical Reform" by SSPX, the ancient Polish hymnal from 1882 ("Spiewnik Koscielnie" (I don't use it for much, but it keeps the rest of the stuff from falling over), and pages of loose-leaf organ music that get frequent air-time. Also a watch, a mug of pens, pencils, and a highlighter; ChapStick, a baton, and a pitch pipe. I used to have a tuning fork, but I think one of the altar-boys nicked it.

And of course hymnals, anthem books, chant books, and organ music, and books of and about liturgy/liturgical history.
  • Allan DAllan D
    Pencils and highlighters, Kleenex, wooden blocks for raising the height of the bench, plastic bag clips for holding pages open, a stopwatch for figuring out the precise timing of preludes and choir anthems, a butter knife for emergency reed tuning, and a book of simple interludes that I can pull out on a second's notice. I've been meaning to get a yardstick so I can retrieve the dozen or so pencils that have fallen under the pedals.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've been meaning to get a yardstick so I can retrieve the dozen or so pencils that have fallen under the pedals.

You need an extendable rod with a magnet tiny monkey on the end.
    Thanked by 2Gavin bonniebede
  • CharlesW
    Actually, the auto parts stores sell a rod with a spring-loaded claw on the end, activated by a push button on the other end. It works.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That's sounds way less useful than my idea.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CharlesW
    Monkeys are like sopranos - too hard to train and don't take direction well.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    I've been meaning to get a yardstick so I can retrieve the dozen or so pencils that have fallen under the pedals.

We have an Allen simulacrum--every so many months, when capacity has been reached, I remove the pedal-board and retrieve my pencils, paper-clips, change, toupee, etc., vacuum, and replace it. Bechya can't do that with a Fiske!
  • CharlesW
    Bet ya I CAN do it with a Schantz. LOL. The technicians marvel at how clean the floor is underneath the pedalboard. I work at it.
  • francis
    Have you ever dropped something into the pedalboard and then upon playing a piece during the next liturgy it jams the two infected pedals in the down position? Only once, never again.
  • ryandryand
    Where's that picture of the organ with a side panel that opened up into a liquor cabinet?
    Thanked by 2francis canadash
  • CharlesW
    I did have a post-it note fall into the pedals and stick where the contacts come together on one note. It was "G" during a piece in - what else - "G" major. LOL.
    Thanked by 1francis