Graduale Triplex PDF?
  • Did anyone ever scan the Graduale Triplex?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    If anyone, try Pedro.
  • joerg
    I've scanned the Temporale part (i.e. upto page 391) (In Germany this is perfectly legal as the book is older than 25 years.) I've also added an index of the chants and bookmarks for the individual feasts and some lines of javascript code so that the pdf always opens on the page for the following Sunday (works only in Adobe Reader)
    Unfortunately I currently have no access to the computer where the file resides nor to my DropBox. But I think I can post it tomorrow.
  • ronkrisman
    I've scanned the Temporale part (i.e. upto page 391) (In Germany this is perfectly legal as the book is older than 25 years.)

I do not trust the accuracy of that statement. Germany has been a signatory nation to all international copyright laws enacted over the past century and more.

See, for instance:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Duration_Directive
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • joerg
    All the pieces in the GT are in the public domain (even the so called neogregorian ones as they have been published anonymously in the Graduale Romanum of 1908) so the paragraph on "Previously unpublished works" applies here.
  • ronkrisman
    Yes, joerg, you may make, literally, millions of copies of pages from the 1908 Graduale Romanum because that work is in the public domain. And PDF's of the same too. Copy to your heart's content!

But you may not make copies of the same "pieces" when they are from pages out of the 1979 Graduale Triplex. Why? Because on most pages of that 1979 edition there have been added things that look like chicken scratches on a dusty Texas farmyard in August. These "scratches" are UNDER COPYRIGHT. They are the intellectual property of the Benedictine community at Solesmes, France; they have been painstakingly researched in medieval chant manuscripts before being taught to modern-day chickens. If you illegally copy those scratches, the Solesmes community will lose part of what they are owed in justice, and, with less money, they will be unable to buy as many chickens in the future.

If you don't take my word for this, you can probably find something similar in Basic Economics for Dummies.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    German law does seem to have a exception for new editions of old works and there are plenty of 25-year-old Das Chorwerk editions on IMSLP, which has presumably done the legal research. Basic Economics for Dummies is probably exactly what it advertises.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • « things that look like chicken scratches on a dusty Texas farmyard in August. »

Ah ah! :-D
    Best neumes' description ever.
  • Joerg—I am willing to put myself at the mercy of Solesmes' copyright lawyers. Can you PM me with the details?
  • Since all three mss. are available to view online, why not cut out the middlemonk and ... erm ... scratch your own farmyard?

Laon 239
    Saint Gall 359
    Einsiedeln 121
  • chonakchonak
    Incidentally, Dom Cardine's annotated Graduel neumé is on-line at CCW's site:
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2013/mar/19/1908-graduel-neume-cardine/
  • joerg
    I've now checked international copyright laws (mainly on IMSLP):
    In the US the GT may indeed be under copyright (provided it has been registered with the copyright office which I don't know)

Outside the US it depends on the content:

The GT has the following components:
    1.) the text
    2.) the square notes
    3.) the neumes
    4.) the ictus marks etc.

1.) and 2.) are obviously public domain.
    3.) the neumes have been edited by Dom Rupert Fischer of Metten Abbey in Bavaria
    and Sr. Marie-Claire Billecocq of Venière Abbey in France. According to Canadian law these have always been free of any rights, according to EU legislation the rights of the editors have expired 30 years after publication.
    (The publisher doesn't have any rights at all)
    4.) these were invented by Dom André Mocquereau. According to a special French law his rights have expired 84 years and 272 days after his death, i.e. on Oct 17, 2014.

So here's the link to my scan of the GT:
    https://www.hidrive.strato.com/lnk/H2MT4enW

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    So here's the link to my scan of the GT:

I get the message that this share link is no longer valid.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • chonakchonak
    While the text and notes of classic repertoire are obviously public-domain material, a few elements in the book date to the 1970s: the elements in the Kyriale that reflect the modern rite of Mass (e.g., certain rubrics and the Mortem tuam), the foreword of the Triplex and the Praenotanda.

Could these elements affect the copyright status of the whole book?
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    The part that is not public domain will be affected. Once in public domain, always in public domain. It's why the big music publishing houses have different translations of some old hymns. They can't copyright the music or the original words, but they can copyright a new translation of the words.