From Pray Tell's lips to Pope Francis' ears!
  • Kathy
    I was thinking of posting this in the "Positions Wanted" category. Robert Cardinal Sarah would be the perfect prefect! https://catholicismpure.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/reflections-on-the-holy-fathers-lenten-message-cardinal-sarah/
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    How wonderful!

Nomina del Prefetto della Congregazione per il Culto Divino e la Disciplina dei SacramentiIn data 23 novembre 2014, il Santo Padre ha nominato Prefetto della Congregazione per il Culto Divino e la Disciplina dei Sacramenti l’Em.mo Card. Robert Sarah, finora Presidente del Pontificio Consiglio "Cor Unum".
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Today, Roman noon.
  • ronkrisman
    "Named" vs. "Announced"?

The fodder for a conspiracy theory? "November 23" in Vatican Radio's 11/24 story could either be a simple typo, or reflect the fact that the Vatican press offices were closed on Sunday.

• Kathy
    Ah, I see. You're right.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Prayers and best wishes to Cardinal Sarah on his appt. It is to be hoped he will totally disregard Fr. Thomas Reese's suggested agenda for the new head of the CDF and relegate the dreaded "fourth stage" of the Bugnini Plan back to the attic dustbin where it belongs.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It's obviously a conspiracy the likes of which this forum hasn't seen since that one really weird thread...

Maybe there are TWO PREFECTS.

Purple bold.
  • Julie,

To return something to the attic is to assume it may be useful at some point in the future, or that it has sentimental value. As the agenda of the Bugnini Plan has no discernible value for the church, except to cause needless suffering, why would we consign it to the attic? Put it on a public bonfire, or conduct acts of reparation for it, maybe, but put it somewhere from which it can be retrieved at any point ---- NOT SO MUCH.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I'm only too happy to concede the point, Chris. How about consigning it to "the ash heap of history"?
  • CharlesW
    No, if we are going to do it, then do it right! Pull Bugnini's stinking corpse from wherever they laid him, drag him through the streets, dump excrement on him, and burn him and all his works, pomps, and empty promises. You folks are getting soft in your old ages. Wussies! LOL.
  • Lol, Charles.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Ahem. That made me wonder whether Arbp. Bugnini died in Iran where he was Apostolic Nuncio under the Shah and the Ayotollah Khoemini. Apparently, he served at that post for six years during which he unsuccessfully negotiated for the release of the American hostages and eventually died in hospital in Rome at the age of 70 of natural causes. He was an indefatigable scholar and wrote a history of the Church in Iran.
  • Kathy
    Everytime I think about this appointment, the more I want to do a liturgical dance of thanksgiving.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'd pay money to see that! ;-)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    How much? ;)
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Have you guy got nationally approve rates for liturgical dance too? Wow!
  • CharlesW
    We do a wicked Sarabande.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    You thinking about coming to Duquesne?
    CDub, I'm thinking more along the lines of a tango.
    A particular tango.
    And $ won't be a problem.
  • lmassery
    Would anyone care to elaborate on WHY they are happy about Cardinal Sarah's appointment? I don't know much about him from a liturgical perspective
  • Kathy
    There's a large liturgical school of thought that seeks to subordinate what I would call properly liturgical considerations to more "horizontal" or anthropological claims. The young people need folk music, the native peoples need native costumes--the liturgy needs to meet people where they're at.

It seemed likely/inevitable at one point that this point of view would succeed in the top liturgical office. It hasn't, and in a way that has considerable credibility. The Cardinal is himself from a supposedly underrepresented third world country. He knows firsthand what inculturation is, and isn't.

He is also capable and unlikely to be manipulated by anyone. A truly mature leader.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    This is some helpful background reading re: the two opposing points of view on the liturgy. http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/90517/fr-anscar-chupungco-filipino-benedictine-who-tangled-with-pope-benedict