Extraordinary Form Mass responses for the people
  • Hello,

I am singing for an EF Mass. The priest would really like the people to start singing the short responses - the various "Amens," "et cum spiritu tuo," "sed libera nos a malo," etc. I know that these musical responses consist of very few different notes - most people can learn just by hearing - but this congregation does not seem very musical and might benefit from a printout.

I know the chants are listed within the order of the Mass in the Parish Book of Chant. Has anyone made a condensed handout of these responses for parishioners to follow? Let me know.
  • BenBen
    I've found that the issue is almost never having the music. I'm sure they all know them exactly in their mind, provided you have sung Masses with any sort of regularity. Chant was originally passed on orally from cantor to cantor from memory. In many cases, they might be a distraction and a difficulty. If you're encouraging them to sing the credo, that's another issue, but you just mention the dialogs.

The issue, rather, is the idea many have that the congregation's place is not to sing at the EF which is not true. In some places, you may even receive dirty looks for singing, so no no one does.

In my situation, a brief yet clear message from the pulpit about how the congregation is not required to sing, but it is most certainly allowed and encouraged for those who wish to do so. He also mentioned directly that people should not discourage others in the congregation from singing, despite what may have happened in the past.

Lo and behold, the next week, people began responding. With no music in front of them.
  • It seems to be the practice here that only the server makes any response. Is this not the required practice? Should we all be singing or saying the responses too? (Talking about the EF)
  • SalieriSalieri
    It depends on the form:

Very basic Low Mass - Priest and server responding to eachother, usually in a very low voice - congregation are silent. (Though if I can hear the priest I whisper the responses - naughty me!)

Dialogue Mass - This is a Low Mass in which the Prayers at the foot of the Altar, and all other parts of the Mass that would be Sung at a Sung Mass are recited out loud by the priest, with the servers and the people responding. The Ordinary are recited by all together, or in alternatim. This form of Low Mass was encouraged by Ven. Pius XII.

Sung Masses - Missa Cantata, High Mass, Solemn Mass. The Priest says certain prayers (prayers at foot of the altar) quietly with only the ministers/servers responding, because the Schola/People are Singing the Introit and Kyrie at this point. The priest chants the dialogues and the Schola chant the response with the people. The Ordinary is sung by All together or in Alternatim - the Propers are sung by the schola. This is technically the Normative form of the Mass.

Sacrosanctum Concillium was written with what we call the Extraordinary Form- what the Council Fathers simply called 'The Mass' - in mind.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • JahazaJahaza
    One thing to watch out for is that the different tones have different responses, e.g. the solemn preface tone and the ferial preface tone. When we started having Sung Masses on weekdays during Lent, we made an announcement that people needed to hold back and listen to the choir until they learned the difference, because they were enthusiastically singing the solemn tone instead.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It might be helpful to make a card with the responses for the Sung Mass and Low Mass like the cards that appeared when the new translations were effected, although, as Jahaza pointed out, you would have to include the different tones for the chanted responses. My husband wants me to make one for our chapel, but I just haven't had the time.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    BTW, Bonnie, according to De Musica Sacra in Chapter III, under the heading "More Perfect Worship," the faithful are encouraged to make these responses at a Sung Mass, which they may learn in stages, called the three degrees of participation:

The more noble form of the Eucharistic celebration is the solemn Mass because in it the solemnities of ceremonies, ministers, and sacred music all combine to express the magnificence of the divine mysteries, and to impress upon the minds of the faithful the devotion with which they should contemplate them. Therefore, we must strive that the faithful have the respect due to this form of worship by properly participating in it in the ways described below.

25. In solemn Mass there are three degrees of the participation of the faithful:

a) First, the congregation can sing the liturgical responses. These are: Amen; Et cum spiritu tuo; Gloria tibi, Domine; Habemus ad Dominum; Dignum et justum est; Sed libera nos a malo; Deo gratias. Every effort must be made that the faithful of the entire world learn to sing these responses.

b) Secondly, the congregation can sing the parts of the Ordinary of the Mass: Kyrie, eleison; Gloria in excelsis Deo; Credo; Sanctus-Benedictus; Agnus Dei. Every effort must be made that the faithful learn to sing these parts, particularly according to the simpler Gregorian melodies. But if they are unable to sing all these parts, there is no reason why they cannot sing the easier ones: Kyrie, eleison; Sanctus-Benedictus; Agnus Dei; the choir, then, can sing the Gloria, and Credo.

c) Thirdly, if those present are well trained in Gregorian chant, they can sing the parts of the Proper of the Mass. This form of participation should be carried out particularly in religious congregations and seminaries.5

- See more at: http://www.adoremus.org/1958Intro-sac-mus.html#anchor36282165

There are four degrees of participation of the faithful possible at the Low Mass:

a) First, the congregation may make the easier liturgical responses to the prayers of the priest: Amen; Et cum spiritu tuo; Deo gratias; Gloria tibi Domine; Laus tibi, Christe; Habemus ad Dominum; Dignum et justum est; Sed libera nos a malo;
    b) Secondly, the congregation may also say prayers, which, according to the rubrics, are said by the server, including the Confiteor, and the triple Domine non sum dignus before the faithful receive Holy Communion;
    c) Thirdly, the congregation may say aloud with the celebrant parts of the Ordinary of the Mass: Gloria in excelsis Deo; Credo; Sanctus-Benedictus; Agnus Dei;
    d) Fourthly, the congregation may also recite with the priest parts of the Proper of the Mass: Introit, Gradual, Offertory, Communion. Only more advanced groups who have been well trained will be able to participate with becoming dignity in this manner.

32. Since the Pater Noster is a fitting, and ancient prayer of preparation for Communion, the entire congregation may recite this prayer in unison with the priest in low Masses; the Amen at the end is to be said by all. This is to be done only in Latin, never in the vernacular.

33. The faithful may sing hymns during low Mass, if they are appropriate to the various parts of the mass.

- See more at: http://www.adoremus.org/1958Intro-sac-mus.html#anchor36282165
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • BenBen
    At any form of celebration of the EF, NO ONE is barred from making responses.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • SalieriSalieri
    True that - from a philosophical perspective, that is, de jure; however, if the priest is whispering the prayers so that only the server can hear them, and the server whispers the responses so that only the priest can here, than the people are ipso facto barred from making the responses because they can't hear them.
  • And there is a significant number of regular/canonical EF communities in which the pastor/administrator pointed requests verbally and in the bulletin that the congregation not voice either spoken or sung responses at any Masses.
    Thanked by 2Gavin G
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yep, this is true. "No audible responses from the pew," is what we were told was the official diocesan policy at the EF Low Mass, though it has since been changed, thankfully.
  • The situations I describe also include Sung/High Masses with scholas.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JahazaJahaza
    At any form of celebration of the EF, NO ONE is barred from making responses.

I don't think that's a defensible opinion.

De Musica Sacra lays out different degrees of participation and the Code of Canon Law provides that the pastor "directs" the sacred liturgy in his parish in accordance with the law (Canon 528). It seems reasonable to me that he would have the power to specify how things are to take place in this respect.
  • SalieriSalieri
    It is defensible when one is viewing the promotion of liturgical piety a la the Liturgical Movement, as fostered by Guerranger, Pius X, and others - even in the Anglican Oxford Movement - however, there remains in the EF world, particularly in these United States, a mentality I have coined 'Nostalgianism' which dictates that the celebration of Mass in the Extraordinary Form must only be celebrated as it would have been in 1954, in a rural parish, with Saint Basil's Hymnbook (if you're lucky).

Therefore: a priest immersed in the Way of the Liturgical Movement would "direct" the sacred liturgy in his parish according to the principles of the Liturgical Movement; a priest immersed in the 1950's AmeriCatholic Low Mass/Rossini-Propers High Mass will "direct" the sacred liturgy in his parish according to those principles.

So, when it comes to Liturgy, the pastor reigns supreme, and can have the people and schola in his parish do whatever he wants them to do. Gee, that sounds familiar...
  • JahazaJahaza
    It is defensible when one is viewing the promotion of liturgical piety a la the Liturgical Movementc

Nonsense. The promotion of liturgical piety a la the Liturgical Movement is what is laid out in De Musica Sacra. And in that document there are various degrees of participation described because of the differing circumstances, customs, and preferences of different congregations.

We have Sung Mass (EF) with Gregorian propers on average about 4 days a week and Vespers on Sundays. The congregation sings the responses.

At the same time, we don't have Dialogue Masses on days when we have Low Masses. In a congregation of mixed Latinity, in a large parish Church with a variety of rotating celebrants with different speeds, it's not practical. If someone was to start making the responses audibly from the back of the Church it would be disruptive and the leadership of the Church under the authority of the pastor would be right to rein them in.

Furthermore, a slavish adherence to an idealized "Liturgical Movement" can be just as much a form of "Nostalgianism." Not every idea a liturgist had from 1850-1962 is neccesarily a good one.

So, when it comes to Liturgy, the pastor reigns supreme, and can have the people and schola in his parish do whatever he wants them to do. Gee, that sounds familiar...

A useless strawman. The pastor does not reign supreme, but guided by principle and law, he does have a role in directing what happens, as the law provides and the documents describe.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Jahaza, it's my understanding that the degrees of participation in De Musica Sacra were meant to be used as a consecutive program for every parish in the world to follow and implement and not as a pick-and-choose list of options or mere suggestions. I don't think it follows the spirit of that section of the document which was to present a method of achieving "more perfect worship" if a pastor decides, 'We'll just implement the first degree," with no intention of ever moving on.

If that were the case, there would never be any standardization of worship. Some parishes would be first degree, some would be second degree, some would be third degree and some would probably never get to first base degree at all!

Also, it would seem that following the clearly expressed prescriptions of De Musica Sacra cannot be characterized as a slavish adherence to an ideological movement but rather as obedience to the Church's liturgical documents. Like it or not, Pope Pius XII enshrined the ideals of the early Liturgical Movement in De Musica Sacra, which was an Instruction issued by the Prefect of the Sacred Congregation of Rites, Cardinal Cicognani.

This is the statement at the end of the document (which remains the most complete legislation on the Extraordinary Form still in force in the Church):

This instruction on sacred music, and the sacred liturgy was submitted to His Holiness Pope Pius XII by the undersigned Cardinal Prefect of the Sacred Congregation of Rites. His Holiness deigned to give his special approval and authority to all its prescriptions. He also commanded that it be promulgated, and be conscientiously observed by all to whom it applies.

Anything contrary to what is herein contained is no longer in force.

Issued at Rome, from the office of the Sacred Congregation of Rites, on the feast of Saint Pius X, Sept. 3, 1958.

C. Card. Cicognani, Prefect
    + A. Carinci, Archbp. of Seleucia, Secretary

- See more at: http://www.adoremus.org/1958Intro-sac-mus.html#sthash.iaIcsQ8d.dpuf
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Most of the pre-vatican ii composers wrote organ accompaniments for these responses, including Carlo Rossini. Not sure where you'd find those.
  • Thanks - very informative
  • I tend to agree with you, Mr. Yanke, that the music is so simple that a sheet should not be necessary. Maybe I'll just go to the pulpit and make an announcement. The EF Mass is only there once per month, so the congregation may just feel unsure about whether they are invited to sing along or not (the answer is most definitely yes, as the schola has shrunk to...me...frightful!) My husband, who trains the altar servers, tends to want to create a study guide for everything because he personally likes having everything in print. But perhaps we'll save ourselves the trouble on this one. Thanks!
  • Basic responses: learned by attending Mass where someone (anyone) who knows what to sing, sings.

Ordinaries: Sometimes learned by repeated hearing. Sometimes music cards are available.

Propers: Not normally sung by the lay faithful, although nothing in theory prevents this -- imagine a congregation of former Episcopalians singing the Propers using Organum for the antiphons and formerly Anglican chant for the verses during the Introit and Communion.

Remember that the posture of the assembled lay faithful is governed by tradition and custom, not by rubrics (as it is in the Ordo of Paul VI).
  • tomjaw
    I can imagine a priest / bishop / cardinal etc. looking out over a congregation and seeing the faithful...
    1. Saying the Rosary.
    2. Following the Mass in their hand missal's.
    3. Reading the commentaries in The Liturgical Year, Gueranger.
    4. Reading a simple prayer book or other devotional book.
    5. Admiring the works of art in the church to assist their prayer.
    6. Listening to the Sacred Music.

Myself and others would look at this scene and admire the wonderful variety of prayer practised by the people. Others have looked at this scene and thought these people as not participating in the Mass as well as they could, what can we do! The attempts to change things are comprehensively detailed in the posts above.

Once again we have two opinions, which is right? Well the earlier practice can't be wrong, the Church recommended it. Similarly the new suggestions for degrees of participation are not wrong either. I don't see why both ideas cannot continue, they each have advantages and disadvantages.

I certainly do not want to be in a situation, that we hear so often from those preparing music for the N.O. Mass, "Oh you can't do that piece, because all the congregation won't be able to join in" etc.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Very interesting perspective, Tomjaw, but I'm fairly certain that encouraging the faithful to practice their own individual devotions during Mass does not represent the wishes of the preconciliar Popes and the heart and mind of the Church in her preconciliar documents on the liturgy, and if you would like quotes from those documents, I'll be happy to produce them.

I know Pope Pius XII in Mediator Dei conceded that for those not capable of reading a Missal in the vernacular it was fine for that person to say the Rosary silently, but he wasn't making that a blanket recommendation semper, ubique et ab omnibus since he clearly desired the active participation of the faithful in the sacred mysteries. From Mediator Dei:

"Therefore, they are to be praised who, with the idea of getting the Christian people to take part more easily and more fruitfully in the Mass, strive to make them familiar with the "Roman Missal," so that the faithful, united with the priest, may pray together in the very words and sentiments of the Church. They also are to be commended who strive to make the liturgy even in an external way a sacred act in which all who are present may share. This can be done in more than one way, when, for instance, the whole congregation, in accordance with the rules of the liturgy, either answer the priest in an orderly and fitting manner, or sing hymns suitable to the different parts of the Mass, or do both, or finally in high Masses when they answer the prayers of the minister of Jesus Christ and also sing the liturgical chant."

De Musica Sacra, issued 11 years later, represents Pope Pius XII"s even further defined, clearly expressed mandate that the entire Church begin teaching the people "to say and sing in Latin those parts of the Mass that pertain to them." If you read the closing paragraph of De Musica Sacra which I posted above, it leaves no doubt that this was what was to be done. I think it's fair to say, as I said before, that Pope Pius XII, who was at the end of his pontificate by 1958, was enshrining into law the ideals of the early Liturgical Movement.

The prescriptions of De Musica Sacra remain the most complete legislation on the Extraordinary Form to this day so I think we can conclude that even though the faithful are free to practice their own private devotions during the EF Mass, it is the express desire of the Church that their priests teach them the three degrees of participation. I will venture out on a limb and respectfully suggest that it might be possible that EF priests are mandated to do so by the liturgical laws of the Church.

The fact that this mandate was repeated and emphasized in Sacrosanctum Concilium in 1963, five years later, when the 1962 Missale Romanum was still in force reinforces that conclusion. That's my take on it, anyway, for whatever it's worth.
    Thanked by 2Gavin eft94530
  • GavinGavin
    Well the earlier practice can't be wrong

Yes, it can be. And is.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    While it's certainly true that if you want to go to Mass and pray your Rosary in your pew, you're certainly free to do so, it's also true that the clear teaching and preferences of the popes for roughly the last 100 years is that the more perfect form of participation be that "the people sing or say in Latin those parts of the Mass that pertain to them."

Lastly, I do not see on what possible basis a priest who offers the EF Latin Mass could tell people that they are not allowed to make the responses based on the immutable principle of Church law that a lower authority cannot forbid what a higher authority has already permitted.
  • chonakchonak
    There are particular sensitivities involved with EF congregations, and I can imagine situations in which a congregation might have been following pre-1958 practices for a long time (for example, if the group were to include many people who had only recently come out of an unauthorized chapel into a lawful parish church). In such a situation, it's conceivable that the pastor might choose to maintain the older style for the sake of facilitating the ecclesial communion of those people. If that were the situation, I'm sure most Catholics would cooperate with him out of charity.
  • JahazaJahaza
    I hope to respond in a longer way when I get a chance, but the language of De Musica Sacra is permissive... "may" not mandating.

If these degrees of participation are a progressive program to be universally implemented, you are breaking the rules if you are not actively working to have every person in your congregation eventually sing all the offertory chants!

But what it actually says is, "Therefore, we must strive that the faithful have the respect due to this form of worship by properly participating in it in the ways described below."

These are what the document says they are... ways that the people *may* participate. It mandates lays out that "Every effort must be made that the faithful of the entire world learn to sing these responses [of the first degree]." But in the second degree it specifies a broader repetoire, but acknowledges that this may not be possible for all congregations (and remember that this can be moral as well as musical impossibility). The third degree is suggested particularly for religious houses and seminaries... I don't think it's a realistic parish program in most places!

The document, rightly allows for local conditions to rule its implementation.

Going on to Low Mass, the document is clear that the most perfect form of participation is the making of the responses with the server. But it is also clear that while "[t]hose who ... pray with priest in the very words of the Church, are worthy of special praise," "not equally capable of correctly understanding the rites, and liturgical formulas; nor does everyone possess the same spiritual needs; nor do these needs remain constant in the same individual. Therefore, these people may find a more suitable or easier method of participation in the Mass when "they meditate devoutly on the mysteries of Jesus Christ, or perform other devotional exercises, and offer prayers which, though different in form from those of the sacred rites, are in essential harmony with them".

That italicized portion... that's talking about things like praying the Rosary at Mass... a meditation on the mysteries of Christ... a devotional exercise. It's not the most perfect method, but it's not WRONG. Just like Thomas Aquinas can say that the active contempletive religious life is the most perfect form of life without saying that people who get married, or become diocesan priests thereby do wrong.

Given that a congregation will be composed of a mixture of people, some of whom are capable of the more perfect form of participation and quite likely others who are not, it's not neccesarily fair or promoting of the common good for the responses to be made out loud by the people. The pastor has the duty to regulate this at his level, just as the bishop regulates it at a diocesan level.

Don't mistake me. I'm all for dialogue Masses in the proper setting (though I think some argument can be made about certain elements of the dialogue, e.g. the Pater Noster as chorally recited, when it isn't at Sung Masses) but large mixed congregations of various levels of ability, understanding, and preference in large Churches are not neccesarily the right place for them.

OK... I guess I did go ahead and write at length.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Jahaza, I think it's important to remember that De Musica Sacra is an Instruction. I'm no expert, but it would seem to me that it is therefore of the same binding authority as GIRM, and might even be considered the GIRM of the Extraordinary Form. I don't know for sure, I'm just speculating, but it would seem so. Therefore, when De Musica Sacra says this, as you pointed out above:

Therefore, we must strive that the faithful have the respect due to this form of worship by properly participating in it in the ways described below.
    (emphasis added)

that seems to be a pretty clear directive, does it not? And the brilliance of this document is that the directive is organized in gradual stages which are within the reach of just about everybody, except perhaps illiterates or the mentally challenged, emotionally impaired, etc., and can be effected gradually so as to minimize any trauma to people's sensibilities.

That the three degrees of participation at the Sung Mass may be easily and successfully achieved by any congregation, even large ones, may I point out the example of SSPX France at St. Nicolas du Chardonnet or the diocesan approved EF Latin Mass at St. Eugene-St. Cecile in Paris.

I could also give you examples of little French kindergartners saying and singing the Mass in Latin at St. Nicolas du Chardonnet or of a boys' schola, part of SSPX France, which sings not only the Ordinary but all the propers and do so from memory.

I don't believe for a second that a sophisticated congregation in a large modern metropolis, for example, should have much difficulty at all in learning the three two degrees of participation of a sung Mass if someone took the trouble to teach them and encourage them. Perhaps folks living in the jungles of South America or in sub saharan Africa, but even then, we might be surprised since I could probably give you examples of both from SSPX Asia where the natives are participating at the Latin Mass. I do know of a video of a Latin Mass in India where the people are saying the parts of the Mass in Latin. There is also the example of Msgr. Lefebrve who as a Holy Ghost Missionary taught people in Dakar in Senegal chanted Mass settings and was overjoyed when he visited them decades later and they could still sing the parts of the Mass perfectly.
  • His Holiness clearly did not believe that people should be prevented from participating according to their abilities. I have written previously that the postures and so on of the laity are NOT regulated by rubrics the way the priest's are. Custom, and proper catechesis, teaches us to stand for the Gospel, to kneel for the Consecration..... and so on.

When Mass was violently pressed into the vernacular of each region, people had to be told what to do, although the rites were supposed to be within the abilities of the assembled lay faithful to understand.

Here's a schizophrenic idea: there should be a commentator to comment on the Mass, and the rites should be un-encumbered with needless accretions. There should be ongoing explanations and the rites shouldn't need explanation. The meaning of the Mass should shine forth clearly in the revised rites and there should be a commentator, explaining what is disjointedly difficult to understand........ Rocket scientist I'm obviously not, but I can't square that circle.

Thanked by 2Jahaza G
  • JahazaJahaza
    That the three degrees of participation at the Sung Mass may be easily and successfully achieved by any congregation, even large ones, may I point out the example of SSPX France at St. Nicolas du Chardonnet or the diocesan approved EF Latin Mass at St. Eugene-St. Cecile in Paris.

The third degree of sung participation is not going to be "easily" achieved by every congregation. The third degree of sung participation is singing all the propers of the Mass!

It's not the practice at St. Nicholas that the people sing the propers and therefore they are not practicing the third degree of participation. You can see their service leaflet for last Sunday here. The congregation is provided with the ordinary, "CF. LIVRET DE CHANTS VERT", but is not provided with music for the proper chants.

(I'd note that they also continue to use elevation motets, relying on contra legem custom against the practice found in De Musica Sacra.)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Chris, that's a very good point @ the people's posture not being regulated by rubrics. That is no doubt why De Musica Sacra uses the words "may" and "can" in the degrees of participation, meaning that they are allowed to say or sing in Latin those parts of the Mass that are listed, if they wish to do so.

I still maintain that it might be possible to interpret the 1958 Instruction De Musica Sacra to mean that EF pastors are required to teach the people to sing and say in Latin those parts of the Mass that pertain to them. Whether the people choose to do so, however, is up to them.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Jahaza, you're absolutely right about the third degree of participation not being easy or readily accessible for most congregations. I was getting it mixed up with third degree of the Low Mass, and I'm not holding up St. Nicolas du Chardonnet as the perfect liturgical paradigm, but they certainly do demonstrate the first and second degrees of participation at a sung Mass very well---can we agree on that? : )

BTW, regarding elevation motets, if I'm not mistaken, since I'm looking at p. 26 of his book right now, B. Andrew Mills in Psallite Sapienter sanctions the singing of "a suitable chant, motet, or hymn in Latin" after the Consecration. I didn't know it was prohibited in De Musica Sacra. Can't find it anyway after a cursory look.
  • De musica sacra seems to be virtually ignored when introducing the EF to newcomers. It's especially irksome when it's claimed no one is allowed to say the Pater Noster... the document expressly permits it. Granted, there's a lot going on and I don't wish to force people to participate in every way. Moreover, the fullest sign of participatio actuosais the reception of Holy Communion.

Would someone happen to know if the Pater Noster is expresslyforbidden to be sung by the people at Sung or Solemn Mass? I'm not really interested in the history of it as a priestly prayer; I know all that already and it's not the issue at stake. I also realize the use of the ferial tone, while rare, is something to be considered. (OTOH, one has to teach the choir that no, Father won't always use the solemn Preface or the same tone at the Collects...)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • G
    It's especially irksome when it's claimed no one is allowed to say the Pater Noster... the document expressly permits it.

I'd never been able to consistently attend EF Masses, so have kind of been picking up the rules on the fly. They seem to be different everywhere, (I'll assume there's some consistency from one FSSP parish to the next, or from on Inst of Christ the King.)
    Some places little old ladies or precious young men will give you looks if you break their rules.
    One Mass that i was able to attend several weeks running, the priest reminded the people before every Mass where the second confiteor happened, (not something I'd encountered before,) and that we were not to sing on the Pater Noster until the end.
    The first week he didn't mention it, he stopped in mid-payer and scolded people who were singing along with him.

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • CharlesW
    EF mass:
    Priest: Dominus vobiscum
    People: Mumble, snort, grunt

OF mass:
    Priest: The Lord be with you
    People:Mumble, snort, grunt

What's the difference?
  • G, I realize that there's inconsistency. That's finebecause local variation is what makes the Roman Rite so wonderful. For instance, English priests commonly do not stop while turning to say the Orate, fratres. Dialogue Masses are not mandatory, and so I wouldn't impose it on a congregation if it's not being done. However, I think it is imperative for good catechesis to occur, which means that people should be encouraged to sing and not to criticize those who do sing and recognizing that Dialogue Masses are allowed and what parts pertain to the people. Local variation does not mean denigrating others' practices (even if I personally find some to be, well, inferior...).
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Matthew, very laudable sentiments to be sure, but De Musica Sacra is an Instruction from the Sacred Congregation of Rites, so I would argue that it has just as much juridical weight as GIRM (General Instruction of the Roman Missal) has for the OF. I wish someone more expert than I could verify this, but it would seem to me that De Musica Sacra, since it is is the latest and most complete legislation governing the EF and is an Instruction, is indeed the GIRM of the EF.

If that is indeed the case, instructing the people in the degrees of participation listed in Chapter III of De Musica Sacra, the actualization of the so-called Dialogue Mass, would appear to be---- dare I use the word?----mandatory for EF pastors to implement, although, as several people have already pointed out, the people in the pews at the EF cannot be forced at gunpoint to sing or say the responses in Latin and are perfectly free to participate in the manner of their choice.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It might be helpful to recall the words of Pope Benedict XVI on the this subject. If you've never read it before, I would urge anyone who is involved with the EF to read his truly eye-opening 1998 Address in Rome on the 10th anniversary of the Motu Proprio.

Then-Cardinal Ratzinger pointed out, as I mentioned above, that the "essential criteria" of
    Sacrosanctum Concilium should be observed in the celebration of the EF in such a manner that, as he says:

An average Christian without specialist liturgical formation would find it difficult to distinguish between a Mass sung in Latin according to the old Missal and a sung Latin Mass according to the new Missal.

What he proposes in this seminal address is that the two forms eventually be reconciled by actualizing the ideals of the early LIturgical Movement (but this will never happen if the prescriptions of De Musica Sacra continue to be ignored).

This was then-Cardinal Ratzinger's inspiring vision regarding the potential reconciliation of the two forms of the Roman rite:

This is why it is very important to observe the essential criteria of the Constitution on the Liturgy, which I quoted above, including when one celebrates according to the old Missal! The moment when this liturgy truly touches the faithful with its beauty and its richness, then it will be loved, then it will no longer be irreconcilably opposed to the new Liturgy, providing that these criteria are indeed applied as the Council wished.
  • JahazaJahaza
    De musica sacra seems to be virtually ignored when introducing the EF to newcomers. It's especially irksome when it's claimed no one is allowed to say the Pater Noster... the document expressly permits it.

It permits it, but it does not require that it be done in a particular place, let alone in every place, and almost nowhere is it done. It's like penitential rite b in the revised liturgy.

Would someone happen to know if the Pater Noster is expressly forbidden to be sung by the people at Sung or Solemn Mass?

It's not expressly forbidden, but it is generally forbidden (with the exception below). De musica sacra, as is quoted above in number 25 describes the way that the congregation may participate in the Sung or Solemn liturgy, and singing the full Pater Noster is not included in the list there.

There is a private reply from Ecclesia Dei dated 26 March 1997 that permits the practice, but as a understand it, as private reply, it is binding only on those who receive it. As JullieColl keeps pointing out, though it's not disputed, De Musica Sacra is the authoritative general rule. Others are permitted to adopt the position found in the private reply, but are not required to do so. (I.e. if your priest says it's not allowed, he's not wrong).
  • JahazaJahaza
    Also, if Ecclesia Dei were to be asked today, after SP and UE, they might give a different reply.
  • Julie, I agree. I'm just not in a position to fight the Dialogue Mass battle, and honestly, most people aren't. I'd rather be able to have the Mass in the ancient form with the full Propers and Ordinary, especially on Sundays and the major feasts... but yes, DMS ought to be implemented fully.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Matthew, I apologize for being so insistent, and you make a very fair point. There's not much lay people can do about the lack of implementation of DMS. It's just that I've been instructed several times in the past by people in official capacity (not here) something I know is patently wrong, and waving documents at them does no good at all. Please forgive me if I've been obnoxious. : (
  • I threw together this VERY incomplete version a LONG time ago but it may be a place to start.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen