Daily Mass responsorial psalm for 23 September (Psalm 119)?
  • I thought I remembered someone talking about setting the daily Mass responsorial psalms, and before I reinvent the wheel, I wanted to ask if anyone has already set the psalm and antiphon for 23 September of this year (AD 2014, year A, lectionary 450)? It is the memorial of St. Padre Pio (Pius of Pietrelcina) and the Padre Pio study group in our diocese has a special Mass every year (NO). An organist friend and I are always asked to provide the music, and no one thought to ask us until yesterday, and due to preparing for three upcoming Missae Cantatae and a Missa Solemnis (the first in our diocese in five years), I hope I can be forgiven for not having given it a thought that we hadn't been asked!

Thank you all for being so helpful!

• This Psalm (23) and refrain (The Lord is my shepherd...) are used frequently throughout the year (Lent 4a, Easter 4a, 16th Sunday b, Christ the King a, Sacred Heart c; abc referring to respective years), and as one option for funerals. You should be able to find what you need using one of those.
  • According to the USCCB website, the responsorial psalm is Ps 119: 1, 27, 30, 34, 35, 44 with 'Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands' as refrain.

It's in the Lumen Christi Missal (which has all daily Mass responsorial psalms):

Blessed are they whose way is blameless,
    who walk in the law of the LORD. R.

Make me understand the way of your precepts,
    and I will meditate on your wondrous deeds. R.

The way of truth I have chosen;
    I have set your ordinances before me. R.

Give me discernment, that I may observe your law
    and keep it with all my heart. R.

Lead me in the path of your commands,
    for in it I delight. R.

And I will keep your law continually,
    forever and ever. R.
  • Steven, thank you for the reminder about the Lumen Christi Missal. I have one, but I am so infrequently responsible for/assist at the OF that I forget I have it. I had the correct lectionary from the USCCB website, as I did remember that in the OF the weekday lectionary is privileged over the commemorations--my friend and I have been doing the music for this Mass for five years and I figured that out year one (after the "What do you mean, you don't use the specific commons for a saint?" moment :-)

I'll contact Adam about reprinting the antiphon in the bulletin.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • You should consult your priest's Lectionary. According to my sources, I believe what is posted on the USCCB site are the readings and psalm for Tuesday in the 25th week, which is not the same as for the memorial.