PBP Psalms for Irish / UK lectionary
  • bonniebede
    Go to the last post for the latest updates!

This is not new composition but it is a work in progress.
    The lovely psalms in the Parish book of Psalms do not use the lectionary texts approved for Ireland/UK, so I am trying to adapt these lovely psalms to the text.
    Thanks RC for your kind encouragement to do this project.
    I plan to try to stay a few weeks ahead of where we are in the liturgical cycle.
    I am publishing here some pdf's which have the antiphon from the PBC and then my adaptation underneath. I am hoping that anyone with the inclination will have a look and make suggestions. Does the adaptation work? Any obvious things I am doing wrong (which I would not know about being a total amateur)? Any issues re chant engraving? (I am using the handy editor page supplied by Illuminare - thanks to them for that work).
    All useful, helpful, constructive criticism and suggestions welcome.
    At some later point, if all goes well, it might be possible to put them together on the website, with pointed verses.

Ordinary time Year A Weeks 21, 22, 23
  • SalieriSalieri
    Very nice.

In OT22 I'd personally put an horizontal episema on "soul" rather that the mora (dot) - to me they are not equal.

I feel that the episema (as a mark of expression) means "This is an important note, bring it out"; whereas the dot: "this is the ending of the phrase (also marked by a bar-line of some kind), relax the pulse a bit".

Both are lengthenings of notes, but different kinds of lengthenings.

[Personal caveat: I prefer to use Semiology, and even when basically using 'Old Solesmes' I add to it from the paleography. I know - Mrs. Ward would have me run out of town on a rail!]

Just by 50p.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • bonniebede
    That makes sense. Not sure how to make it happen though. I know its something about using this h-episemus tag, but how? Have played around with it but I'm out of ideas.
  • SalieriSalieri
    To add an episema to a note simply add an underscore [ _ ] after the note(s). For example: soul(h_).
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • bonniebede
    Exaltation of the Cross

Not much to see here...
  • bonniebede
    Thank you Salieri. Changes made.
  • chonakchonak
    To avoid hyphens on the ends of words, separate the word from what follows by a space.

For example, the last word in the piece could be

hands.(d.) (:)

Note that the period for the end of the sentence is next to the word. Also, the notation (d.) for the note and its dot are followed by a space; then comes the notation for the closing double-bar (:) .
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • SalieriSalieri
    I don't know if you realize this or not, but in 22OT you have created a beautiful bit of text painting in the melody.

Firstly, B-natural in rare in mode VI, but there it is in Arlene's book which you are adapting; this creates a tritone (augmented fourth) with the final of the mode (F). There is tension here. That B ('soul') wants to resolve up to C - thirsting, if you will, for resolution - the peace that we find in the Lord. Adding that episema on 'soul' (this note is important, do something with it) really makes the line very expressive. This is more noticeable in your version, since in Arlene's the B functions as a passing tone, as the second note of the podatus/pes on 'thirsting', where the A is emphasized by the episema but not the B.

Genius.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bonniebede
  • bonniebede
    Thank you salieri, for those kind comments. I think I understand them :-) . I could feel what Arlene had done with thirsting, that seemed important, and tried soul a few ways singing it through, it seemed the right way to me because otherwise it sounded too resolved or complete or something, the way I left it seemed to let thirsting get on with being longing and thirsty the way it feels in arlene's original. If it sounds good, the credit is all Arlene's, I would not know how to start on something like this.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • bonniebede
    Thanks chonak that hyphen has been bugging me for months. Fixed , except for the first one (22nd sunday year A), I'll have to reset that later.
  • bonniebede
    Year A 25th Sunday in Ordinary time
  • bonniebede
    Year a 26th Sunday in Ordinary time
  • bonniebede
    Year A 27th Sunday in Ordinary time
    No change is needed for this antiphon, it is the same wording in both lectionaries.
    The verses of the psalm are different, some in due course I hope to point the verses. to sing to the psalm tone provided in the PBC.
  • Richard R.
    "PBC Psalms for Irish / UK lectionary"

Let's review our CMAA acronymns:

PBC: Parish Book of Chant
    PBP: Parish Book of Psalms
    PCP: ... (etc. ;)
  • SalieriSalieri
    Now we need the Parish Book of Metrical Propers set to Common Meter Hymn Tunes: PBMPCMHT.
    Thanked by 3Ben bonniebede CharlesW
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Parish Liber Usualis Tones Harmonized ... PLUTH
    Thanked by 3Richard R. Ben CharlesW
  • bonniebede
    Let's review our CMAA acronymns:

Thanks Richard r.
    you guys are tough audience - music and spelling all on the same page. How did I ever get mixed up in this. ;-)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Sorry for the gap, which I will fill in in due course. Copyright permissions for the use of the grail text now having been secured, I am posting these again as I go along.

In summary :
    The text is the Lectionary for use in Ireland/UK (Grail Psalms)
    The Antiphon melody is from the Parish book of Psalms (Arlene Oost-Zinner) adapted when necessary by Rosemary Swords.
    The Psalm tone is from St Meinrad ArchAbbey, with their Organ accompaniment.

I have used the St Meinrad tones because we need an organ accompaniment. We have beginning organist and cantors, this way we can reuse the same eight tones over and over, while developing skills.

The accompaniment for the antiphon is a sketch in the hope that someone will improve on it at some time.

If you are in the area covered by this lectionary (Ireland/UK) feel free to use these settings for your own parish.

• All Souls Day.
    No change needed to the antiphon, the verse varies.
    I have added an mp3 for practice purposes, where I go sadly flat, but it is my best shot at the moment.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Lateran Basilica. Considerable changes to the antiphon here, review and comments welcome.
  • Christ the king, no changes for the antiphon needed here. Added the St Meinrad Psalm tone and pointed the verses for it.