Some Thoughts On "Englishing" Gregorian Chant
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Hi all,

First, I've hardly been on the forum here in the past year, as the circumstances of life made that difficult, but after getting to meet a number of people in person in Indianapolis this summer, I hope to make a bit of a return, as I've missed your company.

I came across the recent post Some Thoughts On "Englishing" Gregorian Chant at Corpus Christi Watershed. It struck me because it brings up a number of issues similar to those which I've been meaning to get off my chest regarding a premise commonly accepted by those who are producing the most output with regard to English chant. My specific personal comments are available there.

We can discuss those details there or here, but I bring it up here because these were my impressions from the very beginning of my serious involvement with chant - some four or five years ago. But I always felt reluctant to speak out on it (or foolish after actually speaking out on it) because of the weight of my "credentials" when compared to those who held the opposite view and were actually working with it. But I believe that it is a serious issue, because as we go forward and as the use of English chant begins to gain traction, I think it may actually be causing harm - we may actually be shooting ourselves in the proverbial foot with the continued proliferation of this particular style of English chant. As most of it is now, I'm not sure it leads us to or prepares us for the Graduale Romanum. And I'm not sure it is a fulfilling, musical-enough replacement for the repertoire that many parishes have been used to having.
  • BenBen
    Welcome back! We've missed you here, and it was nice meeting you in Indy as well.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Very thoughtfully stated, SkipR. I confess to having similar reservations. Before I learned to sing the G.R. propers I thought learning to sing them would be an impossible task, but it hasn't been so difficult after all; learning the EF propers has been the most fulfilling, satisfying, uplifting, illuminating, amazing thing I've ever done. Duc in altum, I say.
  • CharlesW
    I will toss in a grenade and run, since I am sure a war will start shortly. ;-) I would not be surprised if chant gains traction in the OF, English wins out over Latin. I say that, having witnessed a similar transformation in my Eastern Church. The chant texts were set to English and sung to the Slavonic melodies. I could be wrong, but...and who knows, really.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Yes, Charles, it certainly seems as if implementing English chant would be more palatable to the average OF parishioner (and Pastor, for that matter). I can't tell you how many times I've been told I can't do Latin because "they can't understand it." That being said, the full Gregorian Chant in Latin is the true, most beautiful sacred music of the Church. I see Skirp's point: how do we move from SEP and the ICEL Mass to the Graduale Romanum? Although the musical styles are similar, the GR is more complex musically (and more fulfilling to sing, but I'm told that sort of doesn't matter), but the real issue is going to be the language change. My thought is that resistance to Latin is a form of xenophobia: anything foreign or that we can't understand is dangerous.
  • CharlesW
    I don't think resistance to Latin is xenophobic. More likely, we live in an age that doesn't see the value of liturgical languages. They only work well when the people DO understand them. Much of the love for Latin is nostalgic and overly romanticized by people who may not understand it, either. If we are going to use Latin, we are going to have to teach it as a language. I don't see any widespread willingness to do so.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • rogue63
    CharlesW brings up a good point. Each language really kind of requires its own melodico-musical rules. Gregorian chant, as a musical style, was composed around the Latin language; that's why the Burgess-Palmer Graduals are nice, but really don't work, musically, because of the poor wedding of music and language. The Carpatho-Rusyn plainchant--prostopinije---suffers today in both ACROD and the Ruthenian Catholic Church because of its being tied to English. Some of the new stuff (well, 2006) from the Eparchy works well, but a great deal of it doesn't.

The English language,with its monosyllables and barking/grunting diphthongs and fricatives, demands a different musical style than that composed for Latin, or Slavonic, or anything else. Hornshoeing an English text into a Gregorian melody does a great disservice to both things.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    A handful of my thoughts on these matters (which, I believe, are in-line with @SkirpR)

1. English chant is the way forward for the Propers in the OF.
    1a) Other styles (Hymned, choral, polyphonic, Taize-like, contemporary song form) will all find their place in occasional use, but simple(ish) chant will be the only way they will flourish in wide use.
    1b) Latin chant from the Graduale Romanum will never be in widespread use in the Ordinary Form. The best we can hope for is that it will achieve regular use in the majority of Cathedrals, larger parishes, and major seminaries.

2. The pedantic assertions about what does and does not work in adapting Gregorian melodies and melodic formulae to English texts are mostly unhelpful. Latin was pronounced and accented in a lot of different ways, as is English. What matters is not arguments about theories, but what actual working composers and musicians have found to work in actual practice.

3. The idea that one ought to sing as they speak only makes sense in a very narrow application, and should be considered practical advice, not musicological truth. The existence of the jubilus, and melismatic chant in general, should be an obvious enough argument against the idea that there is some sort of strict mapping between textual accent and melodic contour. A basic understanding of the development of the literature alongside the development of the language (such as can be had by reading The Page Book) should put any further nonsense along these lines to rest.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The English language,with its monosyllables and barking/grunting diphthongs and fricatives, demands a different musical style than that composed for Latin, or Slavonic, or anything else.

This based on a fantasy of Latin, invented in the modern era.
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • CharlesW
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if we could go back in time and hear Latin pronounced by native speakers in all the ways we disapprove and condemn?
  • SalieriSalieri
    One wonders if Tallis' 'O nata lux' should be sung (historically) using a pronunciation similar to Public School Latin, since from what I've heard, Mediaeval English Latin was pronounced closer to that than modern Roman Church Latin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa4ml0EwKT8
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Glad to be back.

I think my comments were a little misundersood (or that people had their own ideas along the same lines which they wanted to get off their chest!). I'm not saying that the Graduale Romanum will ever take hold in a majority of average OF parishes - although I think that in the right circumstances (musically- and pastorally-aware pastors with completely capable musicians), it is not ultimately outside the realm of possibility for it to be more common. Nor did I intend it to open the how-much-and-what-kind-of-accent-should-there-be-in-Latin debate.

What I'm lamenting is the simplicity and musical affect of most of the current popular English adaptations. I've hesitated to do this, because of the positive effect they've had and continue to have on sacred music and getting the propers back into parishes.

But with this success, comes I think the real need to evaluate where we should go next. I, for one, have used the SEP or Illuminare materials in the past year I've been working in a parish less times than I can count on one hand. Let me be blunt, I don't think they will give my parish a positive impression of chant in our effort to get where we want to go with our liturgy. Instead, I actually fear those kinds of resources would make them turn against it. And from anecdotal evidence, I sense the same reaction may have been encountered elsewhere.

At least in my situation (and everyone's circumstances and experience are different), those in my parish with a negative impression of chant (even including those with a musical background) really have a negative impression of propers a la Rossini with which they grew up that were so... obligatory?... and utilitarian. When they're challenged with a melody from the Graduale (occasionally) in Latin or (nearly weekly) an English adaptation (my own or one of Fr. Weber's) that keeps the (usually) beautiful melody nearly note-for-note, they're more likely to appreciate it for its inherent beauty. The reaction isn't one of "Why do we have to do this?" but rather, "Isn't that nice, it sounds like church." (Not exactly a well-formed reaction, but at least a positive one we can work with.)

So my argument is not an argument against English chant, but rather that I feel the argument has been entirely overblown that melodies constructed for Latin are not suitable for English. (Same goes for the psalm tones themselves, but that's another discussion I've already apparently "lost" - except at my own parish!)

Perhaps I enjoy being contrarian too much, but every time someone demonstrates a chant setting they claim "doesn't work in English," I just never see it. Never ever have. At this point I don't expect I ever will. As some of you know, I'm a well-trained choral musician, so I don't think I can chalk that up to a lack of experience with text-setting issues. But I often wonder if there are others who feel the same way as I do, but don't speak up because of the ferocity (and credentials) of those who make the claim.

(And, in some - not all - cases, I wonder if the arguments against using the Latin melodies were initially advanced in the turmoil of the 60s and 70s by those who either already viewed the Latin melodies with disdain/suspicion/weariness, or were anxious to do the work to create something almost entirely new.)

Again, I don't mean Adam B. any ill-will and have the utmost respect for him, but I just think there comes a point where making it "work" with English means it no longer "works" as chant. At what point does it no longer feel like what chant needs to feel like (spitually, musicially, aesthetically)? And what does this do the cause of chant in our parishes?
  • A fine point, Salieri -
    In fact, English itself was pronounced quite differently from modern English from after the great vowel shift of the XVth century. But regardless, there has never (until modern Italianate 'Church Latin' became a widely [but not universally] accepted convention about an hundred fifty years ago) been anything near a universal pronunciation of Latin. Throughout most of history Latin was everywhere pronounced as one's native language was pronounced. In the Germanies it sounded like German. In France like French. In Spain like Spanish. Holding that chant can only be sung in the fairy tale Italian manner favoured today as if that had been universal throughout history is to be somewhat deluded. Indeed, Latin has nowhere been pronounced like Latin since the dawn of the dark ages. If we were to pronounce Latin like Latin it would sound reasonably close to what is known by linguists and academic scholars as 'classical Latin', which had quite a few rough consonants, rolled 'r's, and bold diphthongs. It certainly didn't sound like Italian.

We today sort of snicker at the Anglicised Latin which we hear in British universities and public schools, but this is only a continuation in Britain of what was done in every land for most of history. So much for notions about chant wedded to a non-existent pronunciation of pure vowels and no assertive consonants and other things which we are supposed to believe are inherently barbaric. Actually, I have no trouble at all capitalising on the distinctive vowels and consonants of English in the performance of chant in English. If one wishes for something to sound beautiful he will render it so. If one wishes to discredit something he will, likewise, do so with a mocking, facetious, and deliberately offensive example.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    If one wishes for something to sound beautiful he will render it so. If one wishes to discredit something he will, likewise, do so with a mocking and deliberately offensive example.

Exactly.

If you need to simplify the melody because that's all that your performers are capable of, then fine, but can we please stop blaming the need to simplify the melody on the text?
  • rogue63
    Whoa, Adam. What fantasy of Latin? It's a pleasant language to sing. So is English, but it's much more difficult to sing well. And it's true; English, as a descendant of Old Norse, is filled up with the sharp Scandinavian sounds. Monosyllables are sharper than continous mouthfuls of vowels. Who says I'm discrediting anything? I'm just saying I prefer to use melodies adapted or specially composed for English than pushing English texts into Gregorian originals.

• SkirpRSkirpR
    And it's true; English, as a descendant of Old Norse, is filled up with the sharps Scandinavian sounds.

This is a fact.

English ... it's much more difficult to sing well.

This is an opinion, often stated as fact.
  • CharlesW
    So is English, but it's much more difficult to sing well.

I don't know, those 300-pound sopranos are equally intimidating in any language.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Acchhh! The moreso when vested in armour, chain mail, and horned helmet...
    and, in case you don't quite get the point, with a spear!
  • SalieriSalieri
    Having attempted some English adaptations of simple chants myself (Office antiphons and Mass Ordinaries), I can vouch for the difficulties of applying words of one language to a piece written for words of another - this is not peculiar to chant, I'm sure we've all sung rather pathetic attempts at this in, say, English language editions of Lassus Madrigals, or such.

I do have some reservations about Palmer-Burgess, and when in the past I've wanted to do an English-language version of a full proper I have generally used Fr. Weber's. Granted that it isn't always the most important syllable that gets the melisma, it is often an important word, and I have difficulties with the slavishness of singing in an English setting a word like 'of' to a gorgeous melisma that in Latin falls on, say, the '-um' of 'caelum'. I think to myself: Really? Put the 'of' on the punctum for 'cae-' and the 'heav'n' on the melisma for '-um'. This is not an exact example from any particular chant in PB, simply a kind of the problems I see in this book.

I also find it annoying when, being familiar with the chants of the Graduale, the melodies of PB are slightly different (since, I'm assuming, they come from the Sarum books in many cases) - Not different enough to be a new chant, but different enough to be annoying - like singing the Roman Office hymns after years of singing the Monastic ones.

As regards Bartlett's work - I think we all should wait to see what the Lumen Christi Gradual looks like before giving final judgment - the books out so far in the series are more or less intended to allow the Congregation to join in singing the Propers. I don't know of many congregation who could cope with singing the full version of the offertory Jubilate Deo omnis terra - in Latin or English.
  • I would not be surprised if chant gains traction in the OF, English wins out over Latin. I say that, having witnessed a similar transformation in my Eastern Church. The chant texts were set to English and sung to the Slavonic melodies. I could be wrong, but...and who knows, really.
    http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/309773/f6b75c4fbc/1472628249/26053b7317/
  • CharlesW
    You noticed, Noel, that this Russian Orthodox Cathedral choir is in London. The churches in Russia have not changed their liturgical language. That looks like a good recording to have. Thanks!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    [Latin] It's a pleasant language to sing. So is English, but it's much more difficult to sing well.

What makes English more difficult to sing than Latin is that your singers already have an idea of how English should be pronounced. To achieve vowel blend, you have to work against a lifetime of pronunciation habit.

This has nothing to do with the language inherently and everything to do with people singing a language they know.
  • "What goes around comes around"... From our diocesan music office archives:
    In June of 1964, the Pittsburgh Diocese sponsored a national workshop with the World Library of Sacred Music (WLSM). Among the many features of this workshop were discussions about the challenges of setting English to music and the art of adapting Gregorian chant melodies to fit the English words.
  • Richard R.
    Keep in mind that what is described as chant adaptation is often newly composed melodies that are chant inspired (more or less successfully, to be sure). These should be judged on their own musical merits, and not simply dismissed from an aversion to English chant adaptation per se. Adam and others have proven the market-readiness of such efforts, to which the rest of us are slowly glomming on, once we get over our own spiritual-aesthetic queasiness. What, if any, of this new material may stand the test of time remains an open question. All attempts to develop tools of useful critique are, from my point of view, very welcome. But in the end, it is the market that will tell, and from what I've seen, the market is hungry-hungry-hungry. I cannot imagine a contemporary composer who honestly dreams of trying to replace the authentic Gregorian repertoire, nor actively impede its burgeoning reclamation. Nor do I imagine that repertoire is so inherently fragile as to be in any way disturbed by my modest efforts to use its aesthetic tools to fashion resources suitable for modern worship. With any luck, those efforts can be at least a moderate damned sight better than what we have endured these several decades.
  • My apologies both for being late to this conversation, and for the the brevity with which I can engage in it right now due to some other extremely pressing projects at hand.

I have a few, very brief, thoughts and comments:

First, I would like to acknowledge that Gregorian chant has within it many different genres. With the broadest possible strokes, we might characterize three basic levels as: 1. Psalmody or cantillation, 2. Syllabic antiphons (i.e. Office antiphons), and 3. Neumatic or Melismatic chant (i.e. Mass propers). Each of these categories has great diversity within them, of course, especially the third. For example, we have Mass propers that are essentially syllabic in style (think of Oportet te, or Lux aeterna, among others), alongside graduals that have 90 note melismas. These are highly diverse and varied repertoires, and it is unfair to lump them together, fundamentally.

The first level, above, is formulaic in nature, and built upon the Latin patterns of accentuation. This cannot possibly be arbitrary, but clearly demonstrates the importance of word accent in the genre. When we look at Hartker's antiphonary (around roughly 1000AD), for example, in which he notates verses of psalms using Gregorian tones. There is one instance where there is a particularly difficult accent pattern (quóniam spés éius ést), and rather than finding a way to squeeze the Mode V termination pattern into this unwilling text, he actually *re-wrote* the termination in a way that would respect the accentuation pattern according to the rules of Gregorian composition. This seems unthinkable, but it reveals the mind of some of the most important Gregorianists of 1000 years ago.

The second level, as Jeff Ostrowski says in his post, is essentially grown out of and highlights the accentuation pattern of the Latin text. This is how most Office antiphons are constructed, and this is the model that the Lumen Christi Simple Gradual emulates.

The third level is much more diverse, and much more sophisticated, and I don't have time to get into this right now. Much insight can be gained from reading Gregorian Semiology or Agustoni and Göschl's Introduction to the Interpretation of Gregorian Chant (the first volume of which has been translated from German into English by C. Kelly, and in French by D. Saulnier). The insights of these studies dig into the nature and construction of the system of ornamentation used in the more ornate repertoire. They show, rather clearly, I think, that even the most elaborate chants are essentially ornamented versions of a skeletal structure that looks a lot like an Office antiphon, or, at times, even a psalm tone.

What I'm hearing above is that category three is "more beautiful" than one and two, and to a certain degree, no one can argue with this! Especially when it is sung well. We all should certainly strive to teach and encourage singing in this genre as much as possible.

I must say at this point, also, that much damage can be and is done when this repertoire is sung poorly. For all of the criticisms that we can make of Rossini's pre-conciliar pastoral efforts, his fundamental belief was that it was better to do something simple *well*, than to do something complex poorly. I tend to agree with this, and my parish experience has confirmed it.

Is it damaging to sing English chant that is modeled after levels one and two? I'm not sure. It's hard to speak of doing damage when one is walking through a proverbial war zone full of piles of rubble.

Still, I tend to agree with Richard S. in that purely psalm tone propers can be damaging in a certain sense, being that while they have an instant gratification effect, they do not do justice to the nature of the Mass proper, which demands more musical sophistication, especially for Sundays and Feasts. Switching from full organ and choir hymns, or guitar driven folk songs, or whatever else it might be to psalm tone propers can be shocking, and I suspect that many in this case would form a potentially negative impression of chant and propers in general.

This, I think is why SEP and the Lumen Christi Simple Gradual (and online digital scores) – not to mention other excellent work by the grandfather of English chant himself, Dom Kelly, among others) is that they go beyond the first level, and produce something that is more sophisticated, has an intrinsic musical value, and does greater justice to the needs of the Proper antiphons of the Mass.

For many, the choices are simpler chants that mimic the genre of Office antiphons, or melismatic English chant that cannot be sung effectively or convincingly. In this case, it seems better to follow Rossini's guide and sing something that can be sung well.

As for simple chant styles "doing harm", I might ask if anyone here thinks it is "harmful" to sing Oportet te, or Lux aeterna, when they are proper to the day. These are simple in style. Are they less beautiful than the Graduals or Offertories because of this? This argument is not very well defined.

As for English chant that is composed in a text-based manner, giving emphasis to word accent in the style of the Office antiphons, sure, it can get a bit tedious, but this is part of the nature of the genre: The compositional palate is intentionally restricted so that the chants can be more easily sung. The Gregorian composers could have made every antiphon a Gradual, but they didn't. It turns out that the 10th c. needed simple chants also, and perhaps had pastoral realities to deal with also. Imagine that!

Lastly, if anyone doesn't like the English chant settings I've done, I don't quarrel with you in the least. In fact, I have said publicly several times that I think that many of the settings in SEP are rather poor. But they were limited by the very specific scope of the project, and difficult texts presented difficult problems. It was an interesting experiment, and I think that the results have been helpful to many. Great. As for the Lumen Christi antiphons, I personally think that these have a much higher musical value than SEP without sacrificing too much on the side of simplicity. Do they seek to rival or replace the Gregorian propers? No way! But do they draw inspiration from them, and seek to imbue the spirit of the Graduale Romanum into simple vernacular chants that are accessible to average parishes today? Absolutely.

I personally think that we are at the beginning of a decades-long process of vernacular chant composition. The winners will rise to the top, as Richard R. suggests, at least, we should hope that this will be the case.

I think that it is absolutely critical to continue to intensely study and to regularly sing the authentic Gregorian chant repertoire, since this is the "source and summit" of liturgical music in the Roman Rite. We must drink deeply of this water, and plunge its depths constantly. This is certainly my aim, and I hope that my liturgical composition will be better for it.

If every parish could flip a switch and begin singing Gregorian propers and the Church's musical greatest musical treasures tomorrow, this clearly would be the best thing to do. This cannot and will not happen, though, so we continue to develop, compose, teach, promote, enrich, expand, etc. the Church's lived liturgical experience, and constantly look forward to a more beautiful tomorrow. This is how I look at this work, anyway.
  • Well, I guess I wasn't that brief after all. Back to work now for me!
  • hartleymartin
    I see English Plainchant as being a stepping-stone to singing Gregorian Chant. You must remember that we're rebuilding a tradition largely from the ground up. In your average parish church, the singers in the "choir" often can't read music and rely on learning hymns by ear. Perhaps this is why the folk-music craze of the 1970s was so popular. Simple tunes that caught on quickly meant that it was just easier to do them.

One does need to develop something on an ear for chant, especially with the different modes in which chant is sung.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede PeterJ
  • donr
    We have been singing the LCSG and other English Antiphons as a choir now for over two years now. We started out with Communion antiphon only, added the Entrance, then the Offertory, and now the verses of the Communion.
    I have started a schola and teaching some very basic chant.
    Next, I will start adding a GR chant now and then to the Mass.

The English Chant especially the LC Series has been a great thing in introducing chant to the congregation. I look forward to the day when we will be adding the GR chants.

I would have never had the chance to do any of this if not for simplified and in English Chants.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • melofluentmelofluent
    With much appreciation for the exhaustive and well-reasoned posts by Adam B and Richard R, I otherwise still have to wonder if there's a built-in echo chamber affect at play in the some of the manners in which we examine the subject the OP issued, one which has been discussed at great length in many threads for many years now, both here and at the Cafe.
    The fairly recent posts of Fr. Kocik and Dr. Kwasniewski at NLM/CCW wherein the same question is called and definitively answered are among a steady, but slow, litany of personal resignation (a good thing!) to relieve an untenable tension. For some, "brick by brick" will never gain traction for a zillion reasons, not the least of which is that "our" preoccupations with the sad state of affairs in USA/RCC liturgics aren't demonstrably even on the radars of our two constituent clienteles, namely celebrants and congregants.
    I will defend G's imperative, "Save the LIturgy, save the world" just as adhere to "Lex orandi, credendi, vivendi" to the bitter end of my pilgrimage, but I fear that, save for the incremental, discreet and often risky adjustments we make over weeks into years, we might never live long enough to be provided any sort of major platform by which we can even get "the folks (as O'Reilly calls them)" to even listen to a contention that the manner by which we worship really can change their lives, their faith and their Christian duty and mission.
    I also will wage quiet guerilla "persuasions" that push the envelope and pray for a minute's time to sell my convictions to TPTB, and then exhort those parishioners, each and every one of them, who personally thank me for bringing "chant" back into Mass to take that to the same powers that be and lobby hard.
    And I share the caution that a more artfully tight rendition of an English chant by Bartlett, whether "good or bad", argues better than an off rendition by Kelly or from the GR/GS/LU or whatever. YMMV.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Not for nothing, but if the ultimate goal of "Englishing" chant is that the people eventually learn "to sing and say in Latin those parts of the Mass that pertain to them" as mandated in Sacrosanctum Concilium, why are we taking the most circuitous path possible to that goal?

It seems to me that Pope Paul VI had the path forward all figured out in 1974 when he sent the little booklet Jubilate Deo to all the bishops of the world, and in it he warmly encouraged them to teach the people to sing the Gregorian Mass contained in the booklet which was a compilation of the easy settings from the Kyriale.

So here we are, forty years later, and we're still in first gear. Interestingly enough, we're not even in first gear trying to teach people the rudimentary chant in Jubilate Deo; Latin isn't even a part of the conversation.

In the best tradition of visualizing things like world peace, a world without hunger, etc., I would like us to imagine the following:

Suppose that instead of ignoring Sacrosanctum Concilium for fifty years, every bishop of the world had sent a letter to every pastor and said, "Father, when I show up for Confirmation next time in your parish, I expect the children and the adults to be singing this Mass setting. I really, really want this done. Period."

What do you think our parishes would sound like today if this had been done for the last forty years. Do you think we'd be even having a discussion about SEP, and I mean that with the utmost seriousness and with the utmost admiration for all the brilliant composers out there who have (at least to my mind) undertaken the Herculean and Sisyphean labor of Englishing Gregorian chant and in many cases produced some genuinely lovely music---but Gregorian chant it isn't, I'm afraid.

Here's the link to Jubilate Deo on the Adoremus website, and notice the opening quote by Pope Benedict XVI: “I desire, in accordance with the request advanced by the Synod Fathers, that Gregorian chant be suitably esteemed and employed as the chant proper to the Roman liturgy.”

— Pope Benedict XVI

- See more at: http://www.adoremus.org/JubilateDeo.html#sthash.1930JH8D.dpuf
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • CharlesW
    I agree that popes and documents have told us what we should do, but those are all dead ducks these days - except for Benedict XVI who is still alive and I think, relevant. As for SC, the whole world has changed since then and I am not convinced our bishops have any of this in their sights as a priority. Until that changes, things will continue as they are.
  • hartleymartin
    The Parishes are a difficult place to effect long term changes. All you need is a new "Music Co-ordinator" to come along and undo years of good work.

I've been working on some long-term investments by teaching the ICEL chant mass and the simple Latin Chant mass from Jubilate Deo to the students in University Chaplaincies. In 20 years time there will be many Catholics out there in the Parishes which will know these and hopefully a few of them will step up and support the use of Chant again in the future.

The trouble is that the 70's generation of Catholic Youth are pushing new "Rock Masses" and other such rubbish on children in Primary Schools so from a young age they think that "As Once Voice" is church music.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chants in honor of God are wonderful.
    Chanting one's or our prayers and praise to God are joys and privileges.
    Chant commonly referred to as "Gregorian" is the greatest expression of this form ever, IMO.
    OTOH, other forms, styles, attributes and cultures of chant and chanting are also good.
    In fact, some musical forms and styles can actually be "chanted" effectively and beautifully.
    It is good to observe long traditions of "native" chant forms, particularly when exhorted to by magisterial documents and officials of our Church.
    It is still good to approach the sacrificial altar with other chant expressions that are evidently dignified, particularly if they are derivative and fashioned mindfully from the tradition.
    It is reasonable to hope and work towards unity and universality in these concerns.
    It is reasonable and laudible to "live within means" in the progress of these over time.
    As Mr. Bartlett clearly cited, "time" in these concerns can be measured in centuries and millenia.
    It is unreasonable to believe that what works in your house means that will, by definition, work in other people's houses.
    It is reasonable to wish, pray and hope that it would be so however. Over//out.
  • bonniebede
    It seems to me that the most important point has been ignored.
    The Propers of the Mass are a musical meditation on and appropriation of scripture. Hymns substitute essentially poetic texts for scripture texts.
    Regardless of what language or degree of musical complexity is used, the restoration of the use of scripture to its proper place in the liturgy is . IMHO, an urgent priority.
    Yes, I do believe SEP and so on are a way toward GR, but even if it does not take everyone there, it still completes the main part of the restoration needed, by putting the scriptural texts back into play.
    The praying over by the Church of the Words of Scripture are an essential and profound part of the spiritual warfare needed to undergird the mission of the Church.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Suppose, mirabile dictu, fifty years after the Council, we could find in every parish, a congregation where a large mixed schola of young and old could sing with gusto the full G.R. propers (in Latin), where everyone in the congregation knew all 18 Mass settings in the Kyriale (in Latin) so well thay they could sing them antiphonally with the choir, where you could sing any of the six Credos in the Kyriale (in Latin) and the entire congregation could sing them by heart, and during the Mass, the congregation knew every single response to the prayers of the priest (in Latin)?

If we found such a community, would we not publicize it and praise it and present it as a model of liturgical renewal according to the wishes of the Vatican Council for the whole Church to follow?

Well, take a look at this video if you don't think this is possible and actually exists somewhere on this planet: (Note: Asperges starts at 3:20.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KluSH42j_M

Two questions:

1) How can we say it's going to take centuries and millenia if they're doing it now?

2) Why are we not doing this in every parish?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • @JulieColl, I believe your two questions have been partially answered by others above. But let me share an anecdote that will serve as my partial answer.

Recently, I heard of a priest in your (and my former) diocese who was folding and tossing paper airplanes from the ambo during his homily and from the sanctuary during the Creed—this on top of the usual ad-libbing and abusive practices. After Mass this priest was confronted by a very knowledgable laic on his irreverence. His response? “Take it up with the bishop!”

How recently did this occur?

August 15, 2014.

I don't think he was the pastor, but I shudder to think he could become one. And there are others like him.

Still.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Julie, I'm a huge supporter of you and your perspectives since day one you showed up on the boards here. I think Aris' response to your questions suffice quite well, but since you quoted me in them-

1. Though you are obviously well-travelled and well-versed, consider the circumstances where you practice your office. Is there a BETTER place than a chapel in a cemetery with a schola and the EF to practice the Vetus Ordo? Can't think of one.

2. Consider teleporting yourself to a small parish in Darjeeling India, or outside of Lagos, Nigeria, a house underground church in Shanghai, a mission church in the mountainous rainforest of Amazonian Peru, or even a gilded, blindingly white ornamented parish church in the lower Alps outside of Munich with a handful of seniors at the one Sunday Mass...you get the point, yes? Centuries, maybe millenia will tell the tale.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Well, Melo, here's a picture of a TLM in India which might make you feel a little more optimistic.

You fellows are exactly right about the reality of the situation, and that's exactly why we are in a cemetery chapel, and we're actually just fine with that. : )

And yet, the incredible irony is that the one group that it's "safe" to look down upon, the one group that nobody wants to take seriously due to their canonically irregular situation---this group is literally pointing the way out of the liturgical quicksand we're in and is doing so on every continent.

This stand-off is extremely frustrating because we are not allowed to state openly the obvious which is that the (the FSSPX) are doing what Sacrosanctum Concilium asked for with great success. This cannot be stated honestly and openly, and yet these ecclesiastical pariahs in a sense have found the Holy Grail of liturgical renewal.

Regardless of whatever else they stand for, it must be stated openly that the SSPX France model for the liturgy is the way forward and is everything that the preconciliar Popes, the early Liturgical Movement and the Council Fathers were seeking.
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Actually, I remain surprisingly optimistic despite a phalanx (for Chonak ;-) of obstacles.
    At our staff retreat Thursday the retreat leader passed out a handout towards the end in which this question was posed, "Do you feel that there is a particular community in our parish not being served?" Because of time constraints, we didn't get to discuss or hand in our responses.
    I plan on physically handing the pastor my response this week to that question. "Yes, the substantial number of parishioners who've queried me over 21 years as to why we do not provide a Mass in which Latin and chant serve as our worship tongue?" I'll try not to get fired.
  • Julie, can't agree more. Keep showing us these examples- they are very heartening!!

Otoh, such demonstrations also will frustrate those of us who, through no fault of their own, are unable to progress towards the model the Church has set before us.

The biggest hurdle is not money, or talent, or interest, or language. In this country, and many places elsewhere, the majority of the clergy (resistant or indifferent) and institutions like OCP have created a parallel magisterium. Clergy have not been trained well in chant, and when a knowledgable priest seeks to be faithful, he is ostracized. The sacred liturgy has been politicized.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think the problem with the SSPX as an example is that it works for them because they are a self-selecting congregation. As is the one in the cemetery. As are most EF parishes.

SSPX is able to do the awesome things they do precisely because they were willing to turn their back on everybody else in the Church who doesn't think the way they do.

While what they are doing (and, JulieColl, what you are doing in particular) can be instructive and even inspiring, I don't that it represents a realistic way forward for a truly Universal church.

On the other hand: when I see the things Fr. Chris is doing in South Carolina at a really normal suburban parish or what is going on Sunday evenings at the ASU Newman Center, or talk to music directors who are implementing the Lumen Christi Series - that's where I see a real way forward.
  • CharlesW
    I tend to agree, Adam. SSPX is self-contained and has little influence on anyone else. I suspect being set apart is quite alright with them.

My parish has a Latin EF and, other than concert masses at Christmas and Easter, their attendance has stagnated at a low level. They exist with us only because we are the only genuinely conservative parish in town. They have been driven out of everywhere else. Since so many who attend the EF are fleeing crazy masses in their own parishes, the fact that our masses are by-the-book and follow the rubrics means the EF mass will likely not grow much. The people attending our morning OF masses are quite content to be there, since there is nothing to run away from. Granted some do attend the EF because they prefer it.
    Thanked by 2Gavin hilluminar
  • If the video's example is not realistic, it's because of the political games with the sacred liturgy.

Julie's examples show that it can be done, it is being done, and it is the way of restoration and participation that is called for by the Church. The fact that it's being done in France, by the SSPX, is merely an embarrassment to those clergy and fellow travelers who won't allow it to happen here. By extension, it is an embarrassment to all of us who have the ability to make it happen and aren't allowed to do so.

As far as self-selecting communities go, where the liturgy is robustly celebrated people are voting with their feet. And with respect, I believe their numbers in France are much larger than the U.S. Episcopal community for which you work. That's not meant as an insult by any means. I just think you might want to think more universally and reflect more locally before dismissing small communities.

I do not defend any disobedience of the SSPX. I simply think we cannot dismiss their contributions.
  • I don't see this as EF vs. OF.
    It's more about restoration, participation, universal identity, joyful embrace of traditions, authenticity, etc.

We know it can be done, and we can only remove the hurdles we are allowed to clear.

One of the reasons I love the CMAA is that we have a history of mutual enrichment between forms. It's about growing as musicians, edifying eachother, and learning how to do what we can do.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen bonniebede
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    My thoughts and prayers are with you, Melo, and if anyone can persuade your pastor, it's you. You have a 'catholic' and creative mode of expression and are very sensitive to the perspectives and sensibilities of others. I'd be very curious to see the 'angle' you would use with your appeal. You can be sure it won't be the stereotypical traditionalist rhetoric at any rate which most clerical types can see coming a mile away and have all the answers to already.

As for the SSPX example, even if it does seem like "pie in the sky" and an impossible goal for most parishes, it's vital that Catholic musicians have a concrete goal in mind and know that this model works and works very well so if the opportunity to emulate it ever presents itself, they will know exactly how to put in place and how to proceed.

That's exactly what happened to us---we fell in love with the St. Nicolas du Chardonnet videos of the Latin Mass on YouTube long before we came to our chapel. We never dreamed that we'd be asked to do the music at a TLM, but when the circumstances developed, we knew exactly what to do and the pastor supported us all the way. It's actually funny to think of our particular circumstances as self-selected; I feel like we were at the end of a road and had no other place to go, but it has been an exhilarating and blessed experience for our family.
  • Since the topic of "englishing" latin chant arose, I thought one of my latest typeset tropes would serve as a timely example of what a good adaptation looks like. Typesetting sacred music into different languages is skill that requires at least a few years to perfect. Some of my early work from 2010 now seems quite amateur. In my humble opinion, some chants may always be slightly "inferior" to the latin but other ones will equal it. Yet the purpose is to worship God, and to that end all languages which are unchanging and stable serve the purpose equally well. Consistency and permanence is what allows it to be made sacred.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • I have been influenced by the quality of music in St Jude's SSPX chapel in Philadelphia. While I am not a regular participant certain circumstances led me to visit from time to time. I do not think that the SSPX is self contained. I know of many people who previously attended the "novus ordo" 10 years ago who attend BOTH - BOTH the SSPX chapel and the diocesan latin masses. Maybe they attend one or the other most of the time, but I don't think think the SSPX is self contained, especially not among younger catholics. Word does spread around among those who truly appreciate beautiful liturgy.

St Jude's Chapel is the only traditional latin mass I know of toward my area which sings a high mass every single Sunday of the year with such integrity. Whereas most other ones I know of take a break during summertime and low mass takes over. The careful balance of monody, harmony and polyphony sung there is also influential. Each form of song is used in a way that complements the other, much like is heard at the Colloquiums. That's an example to learn from, politics is irrelevant, good sacred music is good no matter where it is.
  • CharlesW
    I think SSPX is self-contained in France. There is a political element to them that doesn't exist in the U.S. It seems there is a substantial monarchist faction among them.
  • Hmm.. yes they are perceived differently in France...because Catholicism itself is perceived differently in France... look at the number of seminarians and integrity of priests and bishops in france and compare them to the USA.
  • CharlesW
    That would be an interesting study. I understand that the "regular" French Catholic establishment is not substantially different than our own.
  • I do not find anything lacking in the SEP, Illuminare, Frs Kelly's or Weber's chant when they are sung with a good rhythm of the text, rhythm of the neumes and a mora vocis. The simplicity of the melodies lets us tackle these essentials. These skills rapidly transfer over to the GR and will work wonders even on an OCP Responsorial Psalm Refrain.