Cleaning records with wood glue
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from another discussion.
  • francis
    Here is a very cool way to clean records:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs

I don't think you need that much glue. Be careful, some glues might not work. You might try glue on a crummy record.
    Thanked by 2chonak Gavin
  • francis
    one more process... quite involved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLGo5K5m_M
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    As an amateur carpenter, all I can say is watch out. Glues vary, dramatically. One of the market leaders is "titebond" and they sell three, at least, rather different wood glues. Surely the chemistry of whatever is in the glue and the material of the records should be compatible.

According to my brother the professional carpenter, titebond I or III are great and don't use titebond II.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    And I bought a weird little kit to restore CDs and DVDs, a few years ago: some 'holy water' to spray on, then a battery operated turntable-thing and a light abrasive. Seems to work, actually.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    Has your brother tested these glues on vinyl LPs?
  • CharlesW
    I have cleaned vinyl LPs by washing them gently in water with Ivory dish soap. Don't get the kind with hand lotion in it. I rinsed them and let them air dry in a dish drainer. I think that was recommended for records that were really dirty. For regular cleaning I used a carbon fiber brush or a velvet pad dampened with a liquid record cleaner from Radio Shack.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Does this work on mp3s?
  • CharlesW
    Don't know.
  • francis
    Adam:

There is a special DIGITAL glue for mp3s. It is completely made up of little 1's and 0's.
  • francis
    There is one more post on the other thread that had a different method for cleaning records with water and alcohol. (chonak, I guess you missed that one when you moved these to a dedicated thread... perhaps you can move that one too? tnx).

BTW... instead of using alcohol on the records if you drink enough yourself (not the isopropyl kind), you won't even mind the snap, crackle, pops.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    [I found that and moved it over. --admin]
  • Taking notes...lol! Maybe I will attempt the wood glue on something less valuable first, it seems scary honestly!!
  • francis
    It does seem scary. Let me know how it turns out if you try it.