Your favorite chant Mass settings
  • I'm in a parish using the ICEL chant Mass setting (which was a big leap to begin with), but we're ready to learn one or two more chant Mass settings. What are your favorite chant Mass settings? Looking for some options that would be a logical or easy leap for them.
  • SalieriSalieri
    My favourite chant Masses are all 18 in the Vatican Kyriale, the 3 by Henri du Mont, and the 5 in the Kyriale Simplex.
    Thanked by 2Ben francis
  • English or Latin, please?
  • eft94530eft94530
    English:
    Mass of Saint Ralph Sherwin [ ccwatershed.org ]
    Latin:
    Missa XVII (salve) [ during Advent-Christmas ]
    Missa XI (orbis factor) [ during Lent ]
    Missa VIII (de angelis) [ weekend-after-First-Friday and other times ]
  • bonniebede
    de Angelis. YUM!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Mass II, Missa Fons Bonitatis. Mass V, Missa Magnae Deus Potentiae, Mass VI. Missa Rex Genitor, Mass VII, Missa Rex Splendens, and Dumonts Messe Royale I.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Agnus Dei from the Litaniæ Lauretanæ, found in the Kyriale Simplex, is very congregational-friendly. If your congregation can sing Agnus Dei XVIII, they can and will sing this.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Mass XII Pater Cuncta.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • BenBen
    Don't overlook the Kyriale Simplex (from the Graduale Simplex). They are all quite lovely, and simple too.

The one matthew mentions is one of my favorites. It's Agnus V (2nd option) in the simplex.

http://youtu.be/pz6DtZUI_8M#t=449

Mass IV in the Simplex is another favorite, I've sung it many times.
  • rogue63
    Missa IX Gloria, hands down.

EDITED: Noel is right; I missed the part about "next logical step." Of course, Missa IX is too difficult as a next step. It's just my favorite Gloria.

Next step? Kyrie XVIII, maybe Kyrie XII.

In English, Mass of the English Martyrs.
  • hartleymartin
    The way I see it, you should first learn the ICEL Chant mass, then the Missa Simplex I (which is the same mass in Latin) and get all the congregation knowing these well. Missa Simplex I should be the default mass known by all Catholics so it can be sung throughout the universal church.

Mass XI Orbis Factor should probably be the next known for Ordinary Sundays (it will be sung about 30 times through the year) and perhaps Mass VIII De Angelis for festive occasions. Mass XVII would be good to know for Lent and Advent and then you've got yourself covered for all the Sundays of the year, although you could just go back to Missa Simplex I for Lent and Advent.
    Thanked by 1sergeantedward
  • Not to be a wet blanket, but the vast opinion above, except for EFT (thanks for English:
    Mass of Saint Ralph Sherwin [ ccwatershed.org ], is that once a parish is singing the ICEL chant Mass in English, then they are ready to sing Latin.

Red Flag. The only place that this will work is where the pastor wants Latin.

But possibly Sergeantedward is ready for Latin.

• Yes! Latin indeed. We're ready to make the leap.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    We sang Mass VI, Missa Rex Genitor, today, and I have to say the Gloria from that Mass is so nice. I use the Brager accompaniment, and some of the cadences are exquisite. The Agnus Dei is also just lovely. Mass VI sounds very contemporary. If you didn't know any better, you'd think elements of it had been composed just recently.

Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you!
    --St. Augustine
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Attached is the Achille Bragers accompaniment for Mass VI from Corpus Christi Watershed. This is the high-key edition of Bragers' accompaniment. If you need the low-key edition, it can be purchased here.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Mass I